Personal Cloud Storage

Discussion in 'Network Attached Storage (NAS)' started by Gabriel1, Apr 28, 2012.

1. sunrisewatcher

sunrisewatcher
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi Gabriel, does the wd2go app allow you to create music playlists?

2. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, good question and one that I don't have an answer to just yet. All of my music is in iTunes so I don't use the WD MyBook Live for music, almost everything else yes but not music.

Worth noting is that the WD App has just been updated into a whole new app which I haven't tried out yet but if I get the chance I'll give it a try.

The Archangel

3. janner43

janner43
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Being early retired & having worked in an IT related business at a senior level, I now no longer need a PC. We travelled extensively, full time for 18 months when first retiring & the company IT gear went back, & the ancient unused home PC got trashed & thrown out. Since then, after returning home again with limited & purely domestic requirements for computing, we have been very much "post PC" for over a year now.

We have two android tablets (Asus tf101 & Lenovo A1) but in the UK the next sensible upgrade (as the HD screened Asus tf700 is £600/$900) will be to move to Apple & the new iPad.

Amongst the many reasons for doing this (other than just the stability & quality of iOS & its Apps) is to gain access to purchasing HD movies from iTunes, rather than buying bluray copies.

Now my question is this.... Can I buy movies on an iPad & then copy them onto something like Airstash directly from the iPad? I appreciate that I would need to stream them from the Airstash to the iPad & then via AppleTV onto our large screen, but it would give me effectively infinite storage for purchased movies.

I steadfastly refuse to buy another laptop or mac or pc just to be able to buy & keep legal movies, (my business life was in e-media, so I take a dim view of any other way of getting movies other than legal ones!) so I am hoping that there will be a way to do this. :)

As I have never owned an iPad, nor used iTunes in the past, if my question is stupid, please feel free to correct & direct me. :)

Thanks in advance...

4. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Hi janner,

To the best of my knowledge there is no way of saving iTunes movies, downloaded directly to the iPad to an external storage device however.......a purchased movie can be redownloaded again at any time which might help you out (obviously you will need to use your data allowance for this if you are not unlimited). Check out this link http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2519

It may be possible to access and save to an Airstash if you are jailbroken but it'll need one of our JB guru's to advise on this.

The Archangel

5. janner43

janner43
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    They ain't making this easy for me, are they! :(

Thanks for the reply...:)

6. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    I guess it's all to do with anti-piracy, which is a good thing despite it not being ideal for everyone's circumstances.

The Archangel

7. janner43

janner43
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Which makes sense, I suppose, but you can copy movies from a computer to Airstash via an iTunes sync process - if I remember the help topic I read earlier today...

On a related note, I read this from the iCloud help section...
    So I guess if I was to buy say 30 HD 1080p films at 4gb in size each from, iTunes, I wouldn't need 120gb of local backup storage for them as they would be backed up to iCloud. So if a film disappears from iTunes, I wouldn't loose it. Is that right? Or if I delete a movie from iPad, does it get deleted from the iCloud backup too?

8. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    The stuff in iCloud that you have obtained from iTunes isn't really backed up, so it is kind of impossible to delete, all you are doing is downloading/streaming it again from iTunes but at no further cost to you. You always have access to it as long as you have a connection.

The Archangel

9. janner43

janner43
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I see, thanks Gabriel.
    I'm currently looking at the rash of cheap 32 & 64gb usb sticks currently available, so will have a look at cloudFTP, too...

10. janner43

janner43
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    OK slight? change of tack here...
    Remembering that I am going to be doing all of this without a PC, and with future proofing in mind...
    One of the things that concerns me is backing up the NAS. With that in mind, wouldn't I be better off going for something like this...
    D-Link DNS-320 ShareCenter Pulse 2-bay (no disks) NAS.. | Ebuyer.com
    With a couple of drives from this list
    Hard Drive - Internal - 3.5" SATA Drives | Ebuyer.com

Or even something like...
    LG Electronics N1T3 1TB NAS iTunes Server, DLNA and Built-In DVD-RW (N1T3) - BT Shop

And then accessing them with either...
    BUZZ Viewer HD for iPad on the iTunes App Store
    Or
    App Store - media:connect for DLNA and UPnP media streaming

I am using BT Infinity, with a Home Hub 3.

Please bear in mind that my experience with networking is virtually zero & that I have exactly NO experience of NAStorage at all. :)

Comments? Opinions? Lessons? All welcomed :)