Personal Cloud Storage

Discussion in 'Network Attached Storage (NAS)' started by Gabriel1, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Great news, the WD 2Go Pro App has been updated to make it AirPlay compatible.....

image-3463143849.jpg

image-1530776810.jpg

The Archangel

2. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Now WD Photos App has also been updated with an HD photo fetch button......

The Archangel

Attached Files:

3. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    This is looking even better as we discuss how my storage on my iPad is quickly dwindling!

4. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    All my photos are now on in my cloud, I can view all of them and download if I need them, say for editing purposes.

The Archangel

5. skimonkey

skimonkey
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmmm...you are convincing me even more!!

6. Eaglenest608

Eaglenest608
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have to say thx for this post. It has made me rethink the way I store my stuff. I actually went out and got the pogoplug series 4 and it has been awesome thus far. I have moved a ton of stuff to the cloud a well as have my networked drives. This has given me a ton of free space on my ipad!

7. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    That is great to hear......if you feel like it, why not start a new thread in this section and post a review of the pogoplug as I'm sure it would be useful for other members who are interested in NAS drives.

The Archangel

8. blurij

blurij
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It's been fascinating reading of your Cloud experience Gabriel. You helped me earlier with a question about adding apps and files to an iPad I am gifting to someone. I have given up on that idea pretty much, but your Cloud experience has piqued my interest. I know my niece cannot share apps with me, but I assume she can watch movies or view pictures from a setup like you set up on your Cloud Time Machine hard drive.
    I am sending her the iPad and an Apple Extreme Base Station.

I assume my niece sets up a Cloud account on her iPad and I give her my Cloud ID and password and then she can access my Cloud - is that it?
    I have read that a Cloud account allows you 5gb free. What does it cost beyond that? And is there a reason you bought a Time Machine hard drive as opposed to any other hard drive.

I've been reading other options like the Airstash and the GoFlex, but your system sounds the simplest way for her to access photos and videos from me.
    What exactly does a pogoplug add to the use of the Cloud ? Thanks again for your help in the past.

9. Mini_mi

Mini_mi
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Just got the CloudFTP device and gotta say this thing is great! Took me all of 2 minutes to open the box, connect my drive and hook up with my IPad. Almost makes my IMac irrelevant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

10. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    You should be able to use any NAS drive to do what you want, I chose the the WD as I have always had good experiences with their hardware and as it has iOS apps it plays really nicely with the iPad. It comes set up with a shared folder (you can make private folders) and you can generate a code to give her access for sharing your files, if she uses the WD apps she puts in the code once and is then set up for eternity unless you choose to change the set up. To access your NAS she doesn't need a cloud account, just the access code for her app, iCloud is Apples propriety system, there is little difference except that Apple is in control of iCloud, with a NAS drive you have complete control of how you use it.

For iCloud fees check out this link http://www.apple.com/icloud/includes/lightbox-storage.html

My Time Machine was purchased because I got a good deal on it. All of my computing hardware is Apple and it plays nicely with my set-up straight out of the box, also I wanted to use its dual network capability.

Remember that Airstash, Goflex, etc. are more akin to my CloudFTP device rather than my WD Cloud, they are great local storage devices for iPads rather than NAS drives.

I think I got it all there but it's early here and I haven't had any caffeine yet so feel free to badger me if I have missed anything.

The Archangel