What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Personal Cloud Storage

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
And reset, and reset and reset again. Yeah!

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

Unfortunately BT have some small print in their contracts whereby you have to use the HH as a wireless router so that any other BT customers within range can get free wifi, otherwise I would use my Time Capsule as the wireless router.

The Archangel

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Unfortunately BT have some small print in their contracts whereby you have to use the HH as a wireless router so that any other BT customers within range can get free wifi, otherwise I would use my Time Capsule as the wireless router.

The Archangel

Gabriel,

Maybe your contract is different, but there is nothing in any contract I have signed that says you are mandated to use the HH. Neither are you forced to provide the public hotspots. I have BT FON turned off, ie I have opted out of the service - all done through the HH settings.

I have access if I need to to FON with my Orange mobile contract, but to be honest, IMO for me, it is of little or no value.

Back on thread, my son came around for Sunday lunch yesterday & suggested trying his iPod to connect (running iOS 5.1) got the free NetPortalLite app & connected to the usb stick plugged into the HH3 without a glitch. So that seems to answer that question. :)

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
janner43 said:
Gabriel,

Maybe your contract is different, but there is nothing in any contract I have signed that says you are mandated to use the HH. Neither are you forced to provide the public hotspots. I have BT FON turned off, ie I have opted out of the service - all done through the HH settings.

I have access if I need to to FON with my Orange mobile contract, but to be honest, IMO for me, it is of little or no value.

Back on thread, my son came around for Sunday lunch yesterday & suggested trying his iPod to connect (running iOS 5.1) got the free NetPortalLite app & connected to the usb stick plugged into the HH3 without a glitch. So that seems to answer that question. :)

Great news about the USB stick, thanks for updating.

As for me, I have never made use of the FON service but BT help line have told me that I can't opt out, I'll head into the settings later to see what I can do.

The Archangel

luv2xcheck

iPF Noob
Reaction score

are you able to access all your files from anywhere or only while you're at home. if not do you know a way in which i can set something similar up but access my files from anywhere with internet?

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
luv2xcheck said:
are you able to access all your files from anywhere or only while you're at home. if not do you know a way in which i can set something similar up but access my files from anywhere with internet?

I can access my files from absolutely anywhere that I can get a wifi or 3G connection.

The Archangel

luv2xcheck

iPF Noob
Reaction score
you have blown my mind sir. why arent more people doing this? before i get too excited i have some questions.

Can i edit word documents and such on the ipad and save them to the my book?
Can i download music and save it to the cloud?

Basically i want to sell my pc and get an ipad and mybook. what do you think?

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
luv2xcheck said:
you have blown my mind sir. why arent more people doing this? before i get too excited i have some questions.

Can i edit word documents and such on the ipad and save them to the my book?
Can i download music and save it to the cloud?

Basically i want to sell my pc and get an ipad and mybook. what do you think?

I think that doing away with a PC/Mac isn't really doable right now. For one thing, you need your PC/Mac to issue out the pass codes to your mobile devices.

As for your two questions, I haven't tried those yet. I generally deal with document editing using my iPad and my CloudFTP (details elsewhere in the IPad Connect corner of the forums). I only have iTunes music on my iPad so no need for saving as its available on all my devices and my Mac anyway.

I need to update my WD Apps to the latest versions and then I'll check out how the Docs work.....but it won't be today I'm afraid.

The Archangel

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score

RJF103

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've just got a WD My Bookk Live and I can't generate an activation code. When I go to settings/remote access I don't have the option of making sure that remote access is enabled. WD photos and MioNet are the only options.

I'm obviously more of a beginner than I thought!

Thanks for any help.

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RJF103 said:
I've just got a WD My Bookk Live and I can't generate an activation code. When I go to settings/remote access I don't have the option of making sure that remote access is enabled. WD photos and MioNet are the only options.

I'm obviously more of a beginner than I thought!

Thanks for any help.

Ok, because it's a while since I went through the set up process.......you did this from a PC or Mac?

The Archangel

OP
Gabriel1

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
RJF103 said:
A fairly old Dell laptop. Thanks.

Ok, you need to go to the Navigation Panel on your laptop, then hit Settings followed by Remote Access. You then need to tick the Enable box.

Now, go down to the Mobile Access at the side panel and click on the Add button. Follow the onscreen instructions from there on in and you should be good to go.

Let us know how you get on.

The Archangel

RJF103

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I don't have any tick boxed under Remote Access! I just get the two categories mentioned above.

Thanks.

Most reactions

Latest posts