What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Accessing NAS/network drive storage with an iPad?

geoluv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What's the best app for uploading/downloading files to my network drive? I have a linksys e4200 v1 on the latest firmware with a wd mybook essentials hooked up to it with the USB port. My router has FTP settings for the storage drive and is also upnp and Dlna comparable. I'm looking for a way to upload and download files to it from my Idevices and also stream videos, music, and photos from it and dl said media files if I so choose. Heavily considering getting something like the wd mybook live so I can have web access to the network drive.

What are your experiences with network storage, NAS', upnp/dlna, web accessible NAS with the ipad?

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use FileExplorer. Works well for me.

OP
G

geoluv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been playing around with "Remote Files" and a little with FileExplorer. I thought remote files was the better of the two, lightning fast load times and a little better with file comparability.

I guess what I need are two apps, one for uploading and downloading and managing the folders in the network storage and one for streaming the media when I don't want to download and store it on my pad.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got Remove Files a few minutes ago...start routing around on my stores. I like that I can play music from one store while I go routing around on another one. I started playing a 1080p file and it stopped. Would not restart. Then I opened FileExplorer, found the same file and it plays fine (so far). Yes, you might need to keep more than one app to find one that works all the time. :) Pros&cons with each.

Most reactions

Latest posts