Personal Cloud Storage

Discussion in 'Network Attached Storage (NAS)' started by Gabriel1, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Rhyso

Rhyso
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Just want to say a quick thanks for this thread. I purchased the 2TB version and it arrived today. Setup took less than 10 minutes and im currently copying my stuff to the WD Drive :). Also managed to setup access for both my iPad and iPhone!

2. Gabriel1

Gabriel1
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    That is great to hear, let us know how you get on with it.

The Archangel

3. Rhyso

Rhyso
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Well so far ive copied the majority of my files across and im currently on my iPad listening to some music direct from the MBL :). Early days but im impressed!

4. Pondy

Pondy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi just want say very good thread,I've just bought a ZyXEL 2tb nas310 which seems to be alright up to now,upload speeds are between 1 and 5.5 mb/sec depending on what I'm uploading,my computers picked it up straight away and after a bit of web searching I got the polkast app for my iPad ,but then I had to go on to my ZyXEL admin page and download polkast onto my nas and now my iPad can see files,books,music and movies,as a matter of interest Gabriel1 what settings do you use on handbrake for converting avi's/mkv's to mp4's has mine have sempt to loose some quality .
    PS I've just used the iPad setting on handbrake.

5. rooney03

rooney03
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Maybe a little lazy as Iv not read all the previous posts just a few,:D my laptop is dying and im looking at well not looking at byt getting an Ipad 3 i have it in the basket at present. What I want to do is get rid of the laptop as i can get one from work. Im looking at a My Book Live 2TB as an option for storing all my music and videos etc. If I get one and connect to my laptop at start and transfer all my music to it can I then access all my music from the ipad? If I got apple TV aswell would it connect to that?

ANother question ....what would I need to transfer new CD's/DVD's to the My book live?

Im sure ill be back with more questions soon.

cheers
    Sam

yep another quesion How would I transfer music to my ipods?

edit again....forgot, I do have a desktop pc in the garage that is used for cycling and rowing training. I could use this somehow...... but prefer to keep for only training software and online racing. if i installed itunes on it for use to transfer music from My Live book to my ipods, would that work?

#125 rooney03, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  6. Rhyso

Rhyso
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Yes you use the app for the iPad to view and play the files stored on your MBL.

To get the files onto your MBL you use your laptop to transfer them wirelessly; this is the most time consuming part especially if you have a lot of data to transfer.

With the desktop you can access the MBL direct if you install the software onto it and again connect wirelessly

Hope thats makes some sense!

7. rooney03

rooney03
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Cheers I think I get how it works now.

What would be the best device to get that has USB so I can transfer files over slightly faster?

8. Pondy

Pondy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    What would be the best device to get that has USB so I can transfer files over slightly faster?

The ZyXEL nas310 as USB and esata ports,I've just moved mine from my home plug to the router and my upload speeds have gone from 5mbs to 12/15mbs ,uploads movies pretty quick

9. rooney03

rooney03
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi just read a few reviews, can I use to store all music and play though iTunes on all my apple devices?
    Cheers
    Sam

10. Pondy

Pondy
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hi Sam I have got all my music and films on my nas,to play them back with iTunes I haven't a clue,me and iTunes don't get on very well,I use polkast which zyxel recommend or imediacontrol which is a sitecom router app.the nas as a iTunes setting which I've turned on but I can't get iTunes to see it (I'd like some help with that)