What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not yet an iPad owner, but have question re: "taking notes". (Thx!)

Tiskers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Like the title bar says, I don't have an iPad yet, so please bear with me! I am still debating *which* tablet I will get; but the iPad2 seems to be strongly leading the pack so far!

One feature that is important to me is the ability to quickly and easily "take notes", at meetings, seminars, etc. Right now I use the swype keyboard on my (android) phone and LOVE that.

Is there a free app for swype (or similar) for the iPad? And what would be the best "note taking"/word processing app?

All thoughts, comments, opinions welcome! THANK YOU!

intro2ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There seem to be a few in the store, but they all get pretty bad reviews, with one at least appearing to be a fake app from the reviews. (How that got past Apple I don't know)

There are other fantastic note taking apps though, One I just downloaded ($1.99, not free) is call Tapose. It lets you type notes, then you can swipe and have a split screen to browse the web in one pane and take notes in the other (i.e. both onscreen at same time). it's actually pretty cool.

OP
Tiskers

Tiskers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There seem to be a few in the store, but they all get pretty bad reviews, with one at least appearing to be a fake app from the reviews. (How that got past Apple I don't know)

There are other fantastic note taking apps though, One I just downloaded ($1.99, not free) is call Tapose. It lets you type notes, then you can swipe and have a split screen to browse the web in one pane and take notes in the other (i.e. both onscreen at same time). it's actually pretty cool.

Thanks, Dale, for the reply. I don't know why I said "free" app in my first post; of course I like free apps ;), but I will also happily pay for one if it's what I need.

What about a SWYPE app (free or for-fee) -- is there such a thing for the iPad?

THANK YOU!

intro2ipad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
that's what I meant by the "a few in the store", they're there, but seem to get bad reviews.

OP
Tiskers

Tiskers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh - I didn't catch that in your first post, I'm sorry!

And that's a bummer that there's no decent, dependable SWYPE app. Bah humbug!!! ;)

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you should also give some consideration to the new iPad 3 - dictation is a great way to enter notes. Doesn't replace a good keyboard but it's just another option to have.

You may also have to consider just keep using your android phone for taking notes instead of a tablet - it really would not buy you much if you already carry your phone with you to whip out your iPad to take notes unless you have room to set up a physical keyboard. The tablet excels at reading and looking up information - and with a bluetooth keyboard and dictation is not too shabby at entering it either - but not on the screen.

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh - I didn't catch that in your first post, I'm sorry!

And that's a bummer that there's no decent, dependable SWYPE app. Bah humbug!!! ;)

Do you mean with a stylus?

I use a Bluetooth keyboard to type and I also bought the bamboo stylus for "hand written" notes. The case I have (a targus one) has a stylus holder, it's out of the way and always available!

I tried a few word processing apps, and the one by apple (pages) I surprisingly found to be the best. That and noteshelf work as a good combo for me..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Tiskers

Tiskers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think you should also give some consideration to the new iPad 3 - dictation is a great way to enter notes. Doesn't replace a good keyboard but it's just another option to have.

You may also have to consider just keep using your android phone for taking notes instead of a tablet - it really would not buy you much if you already carry your phone with you to whip out your iPad to take notes unless you have room to set up a physical keyboard. The tablet excels at reading and looking up information - and with a bluetooth keyboard and dictation is not too shabby at entering it either - but not on the screen.

Z,
Thanks for the reply. By dictation, do you mean speaking aloud? Very cool -- but the use I am looking for would be in public meetings, seminars, etc., so not an option. (Well, not unless I really wanna alienate the other attendees, LOL!!!)

OP
Tiskers

Tiskers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do you mean with a stylus?

I use a Bluetooth keyboard to type and I also bought the bamboo stylus for "hand written" notes. The case I have (a targus one) has a stylus holder, it's out of the way and always available!

I tried a few word processing apps, and the one by apple (pages) I surprisingly found to be the best. That and noteshelf work as a good combo for me..

Thanks, MML, for the reply.

A bluetooth keyboard is a neat option, but typically I would be sitting in a chair without any desk or writing space besides my own lap, so that probably wouldn't be too workable.

Yes, thinking of using a stylus, or just my fingers "swyping" the virtual keyboard, was what I had in mind.

What do you mean by "hand written notes", please?

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, MML, for the reply.

A bluetooth keyboard is a neat option, but typically I would be sitting in a chair without any desk or writing space besides my own lap, so that probably wouldn't be too workable.

Yes, thinking of using a stylus, or just my fingers "swyping" the virtual keyboard, was what I had in mind.

What do you mean by "hand written notes", please?

Some cases have a keyboard built in...you might also want to look at the asus transformer/prime, but that's android.

YouTube noteshelf. It's a very nice note taking app..you write directly on the screen, just as you do paper. If I was in the situation you're describing (no room besides lap) I would use noteshelf plus a stylus. I use it for taking notes in class, the organization is very well done..you basically create different notebooks, you can assign different paper types, even mix and match (ie, graph, wide ruled, blank, legal ruled, etc)..theres a nifty feature where it zooms in, so you can write bigger on the screen, but it turns out smaller on the paper and looks quite nice. There are numerous highlighter, pen tip size, colors, etc options - its a very spectacular app, and one of the reasons I switched over from Android.

It's essentially like having a note pad and a bag full of markers and different colored pens with you. Except everything is portable and the notes are always with you

Last edited:
OP
Tiskers

Tiskers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some cases have a keyboard built in...you might also want to look at the asus transformer/prime, but that's android.

YouTube noteshelf. It's a very nice note taking app..you write directly on the screen, just as you do paper. If I was in the situation you're describing (no room besides lap) I would use noteshelf plus a stylus. I use it for taking notes in class, the organization is very well done..you basically create different notebooks, you can assign different paper types, even mix and match (ie, graph, wide ruled, blank, legal ruled, etc)..theres a nifty feature where it zooms in, so you can write bigger on the screen, but it turns out smaller on the paper and looks quite nice. There are numerous highlighter, pen tip size, colors, etc options - its a very spectacular app, and one of the reasons I switched over from Android.

It's essentially like having a note pad and a bag full of markers and different colored pens with you. Except everything is portable and the notes are always with you

MML, OHMYGOSH, that sounds AWESOME!!! See, I didn't know WHAT I wanted because (duh!) I didn't know WHAT was available!!! THAT app sounds amazing, and EXACTLY what I am looking for!

What kind of stylus do you use with that? A fine point type? Can you provide a link, please? (These are uncharted waters for me, LOL!) THANK YOU!

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MML, OHMYGOSH, that sounds AWESOME!!! See, I didn't know WHAT I wanted because (duh!) I didn't know WHAT was available!!! THAT app sounds amazing, and EXACTLY what I am looking for!

What kind of stylus do you use with that? A fine point type? Can you provide a link, please? (These are uncharted waters for me, LOL!) THANK YOU!

I don't think fine tip styluses work with the iPad. I use a bamboo one from best buy..it's a smaller tip than the others, but it's not a fine tip.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Wacom+-...4456&skuId=3016039&st=Bamboo stylus&cp=1&lp=1

I also have this case (I have the third gen iPad), it's also at best buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Targus+...864072&skuId=4880028&st=Targus iPad&cp=1&lp=1

It has I think four viewing angles, two of which should work well for viewing on your lap. Ones flat, then another (the better I think) is slightly angled, maybe 45degrees, not too bad to type on if you're sitting back, and very comfortable for note shelf when it's on your lap.

OP
Tiskers

Tiskers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think fine tip styluses work with the iPad. I use a bamboo one from best buy..it's a smaller tip than the others, but it's not a fine tip.

Wacom - Bamboo Stylus for Most Touch-Screen Devices - Silver - CS100K

I also have this case (I have the third gen iPad), it's also at best buy:

Targus - Vuscape Case for Apple® iPad® (3rd Generation) - Black - THZ157US

It has I think four viewing angles, two of which should work well for viewing on your lap. Ones flat, then another (the better I think) is slightly angled, maybe 45degrees, not too bad to type on if you're sitting back, and very comfortable for note shelf when it's on your lap.

MML,
Thanks for the links and the great input. OK, so one probably stoooopid question, then. If you can't really use a fine-tipped stylus, then are you able to write note using Noteshelf similar to writing on a paper with a pen? Or is it gonna be like trying to take notes on a piece of paper with a fat-nub marker?!
Thanks again!

OP
Tiskers

Tiskers

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And one more, MML, please, if I haven't imposed too much already on your good nature! ;o)

When you talk about the viewing angles, I presume you mean in the Noteshelf app itself? Imitating the way most of us write with the paper slightly angled on the table or desk? So, the iPad would be straight in my lap, but the virtual "paper" would be angled for easier, more comfortable and natural "writing"?

I did do the You Tube search and watched a few vids (THANKS!) -- which answered LOTS of questions, but not all. And I am pretty jazzed about this app because it may well be what tips me right to the store to finally get that iPad I have been thinking about for years, LOL!

milkmilklemonade

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And one more, MML, please, if I haven't imposed too much already on your good nature! ;o)

When you talk about the viewing angles, I presume you mean in the Noteshelf app itself? Imitating the way most of us write with the paper slightly angled on the table or desk? So, the iPad would be straight in my lap, but the virtual "paper" would be angled for easier, more comfortable and natural "writing"?

I did do the You Tube search and watched a few vids (THANKS!) -- which answered LOTS of questions, but not all. And I am pretty jazzed about this app because it may well be what tips me right to the store to finally get that iPad I have been thinking about for years, LOL!

Viewing angle of the case for the iPad.

The smart covers will give you a few, but for me it wasn't really workable. The Targus one I linked provides more options, and has some that would probably work well for your need. YouTube has some videos of people reviewing cases, so you can get an idea of the viewing angles.

The pen is weighted to feel like an actual pen..it does feel different however actually writing with it, the tip is somewhat squishy, youre writing on glass - it is an adjustment from writing on paper to be sure.

However, you get use to it, and learn how to effectively use the app. The convenience just trumps that initial adjustment period. I think the bamboo one had the smallest "tip" - aside from the Adonit jot which uses a translucent tip to glide over the screen..giving you the impression you're using a regular pen. But I've never used one, the bamboo one works for me.

Most reactions

Latest posts