What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New OS 7 dependent apps

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, anyone else noting another small annoyance with the shift to the new OS? By this I mean that I still absolutely cannot use it for reasons such as being able to actually read stuff as easily as I can under OS 6, ( I have an iPad 3, 64GB that I have updated to '7 but not my new 128GB iPad 4).

What is happening now is that new Apps are being offered and constantly I get the you must update message or the App won't work message. The sad thing here is I really feel for the App creator because I am already 4 high cost Apps along and they have missed out on a sale in every case.

I fully expect that before long Apps I already have will be updated and rendered dead under OS 6 or is there some sort of promissory that Apple won't do this?

At the end of the day if the horrible light small font on white thing for iCal went away and iTunes was fixed I'd find this tolerable but at the moment I remain in the negative zone over OS 7.

bob23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel your pain
I have an ipad 4 and have not upgraded to 7 and I don't want to.
However for some reason some of my apps updated themselves and now I can't use them without upgrading to 7.
There are many apps that do the same as the one that I can't use so I just download those and forget the ones that only work on 7.
The one that I want to keep though is GarageBand and I can't use it without going to 7.
I spent several hours with apple support and the short of it was "you're out of luck"!
So anyone out there have a link to GarageBand ver 1.4?
Also can I go to ios 7 and back to 6.1.3?
Any info would be helpful...Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I feel your pain
I have an ipad 4 and have not upgraded to 7 and I don't want to.
However for some reason some of my apps updated themselves and now I can't use them without upgrading to 7.
There are many apps that do the same as the one that I can't use so I just download those and forget the ones that only work on 7.
The one that I want to keep though is GarageBand and I can't use it without going to 7.
I spent several hours with apple support and the short of it was "you're out of luck"!
So anyone out there have a link to GarageBand ver 1.4?
Also can I go to ios 7 and back to 6.1.3?
Any info would be helpful...Thanks

Sorry, but there is no way for you to legally get a version of GarageBand. With Apple's copyrights and EULA, the only place you can legally get apps is from the AppStore. If it's not there, you can't get it.

And no, there is no way to downgrade to iOS 6 after upgrading to iOS 7. Besides, even if you loaded the iOS 7 compatible GarageBand onto an iOS 7 running iPad and then somehow were able to downgrade the iPad - that GarageBand would not work on iOS 6. There is no way around it.

Sorry, but not moving to iOS 7 means that you will continue to get behind as developers upgrade their apps to run on iOS 7. The only solution is to do what you're doing (finding alternatives) or upgrade to iOS 7.

Marilyn

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
With the introduction of iOS 7, Apple has begun allowing users of devices which are not on the latest firmware to download the latest compatible version of apps. For example, if you are on iOS 6.1.3 and you try to download an app that now requires iOS 7, you will see this popup. image-3457331119.jpg Photo credit: Engadget
If you choose download, the latest compatible version of the app will download to your device.

Last edited:

Most reactions