What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ipad - update to iOS6 or not?

Update to iOS 6 or wait...?

• Update to iOS6 out of the box

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Stay on 5.1.1 & wait for the next maintenance update

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
New iPad 3 & I'm new to iOS so I have no experience of iOS 5.1.1

Should I update the OS to iOS 6 out of the box, or wait until version 6.01 or 6.1 whatever the revised version will be?

Serious & sensible - ie non ranting replies requested :)

Thank you.

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, that's entirely up to you. If the new features in the latest OS are important to have right away then upgrade immediately. The lack of You Tube and the new maps are an area of concern for many users though so make sure you are OK with that. I doubt it will change with later releases anyways. But, in most cases I would just say to upgrade now and then if/when patches come out you can get those as they are released.

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Appreciate it is my choice :) Just was interested in the "vox populii".

YouTube I am content with the mobile version via Safari, or the iPhone app or Jasmine.
Gmaps loss is an issue, but I'll have streetview through android devices, so not too much of an issue.

I notice your sig line says you are on 5.0.1 - that's quite a few updates you've passed on, isn't it?

zunex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends. For me, I've found that despite the Maps issue & missing of Youtube, iOS 6 are great. It's faster & smoother than iOS 5, plus I like the Clock App (LOL)

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I vote IOS6. If you can cope with the main two issues (YouTube and maps) then go for it. Siri alone is worth it. Lots of improvements.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I haven't upgraded myself and judging by the recent reviews I might not at least until they can improve on some stuff.

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the views expressed & the votes - 5 cast in over 24 hours :confused:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
janner43 said:
Thanks for the views expressed & the votes - 5 cast in over 24 hours :confused:

Stick with it. It's surprising sometimes how a thread can attract such little interest, when the subject matter is obviously of interest to so many people. Have a look at the website version of the forum and you'll see a major disparity between the number of views and the number of replies. 10% replies is a huge number.

In this case, I think it's early days. I haven't made a firm decision yet as to whether I'm going to update. I intended to update my iPad first, but my son has filled it up with apps, so I have some housekeeping to do beforehand. I don't intend to update my iPhone until I have seen what the effect is on my iPad.

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oops! I must be an idiot because i thought "to hell with it" and updated both.

Sent from my new iPad using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you depend on the Maps apps that used Google's maps, then you best stay with iOS 5.1. However, if that is not important to you, I say do the update. It went very smoothly for me.

Samson2012

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the new iOS has potential to become better if you want to use iOS 6 as a kind of feel threw then go for it but if its down to usefulness you may want to wait.

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks again all...:)

And Kevin - I see from another thread that you have now updated & are pleased you did.

More votes...More votes... :)

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
janner43 said:
Thanks again all...:)

And Kevin - I see from another thread that you have now updated & are pleased you did.

More votes...More votes... :)

Yes. I'm very pleased with the update. Having watched the keynote speech from the WWDC, I also have a bit more understanding now as to where Apple are going with iOS and OSX, and since I intend to buy a Mac when I need a computer replacement, I find that their vision ties nicely into my expectations and requirements.

Most reactions

Latest posts