What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My iPad 2 Case Round Up: which cases have smart magnetic covers?

What's on your iPad 2?

• My iPad 2 is naked!

Votes: 20 15.0%
  • Apple Smart Cover

Votes: 84 63.2%
  • 3rd Party "Dumb Cover"

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • 3rd Party Smart Cover.

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Homemade cover.

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lots of iPad case manufactures are coming out with their cases for the iPad 2. What I find shocking is that, so far, very very few of the available cases support any of the smart case technology!

I do expect this to change, but frankly I find the fact that great case designers like:

Fail to use magnets in their cover to turn the iPad on and off. Magnets could also be used to hold the iPad inside of cases more snugly. Even cheaper no-name cases like this one lack this obvious feature.

I have pre-ordered a case from Grove, who say they will support the smart cover technology, but that's going to take months I think.

Here are some other cases that use the smart cover technology:

Do you know of others?

What case are you using now?
Would you buy a "non-smart" case in the future?

Dragonfly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm using the Targus VuScape cover and I like it. It covers the back and kindof latches over the front. Not magnetic but I like that the cover doesn't just swing open freely. The latch mechanism itself leaves a bit to be desired, it doesn't always stay shut but it is one of the best cases on the market at the moment, and reasonable at $40 from BestBuy.

OP
Futurebird

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a Targus case for my iPad 1. They do make good cases. The iPad seems very safe inside of it.

7000ft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone seen any cases or shells that will work with the smart cover? I have only been able to come across one.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I pre-ordered Grove as well. To my knowledge, they may begin taking orders, according to priority, within the next two weeks. I am anticipating receiving that case by Mayish.

However, I'm looking for something casual and cheap to covert baby with when we go to school. I need serving with a stand because I'll be typing notes and what not. I just want something like 40 or less. I plan on buying a 2 year replacement warranty and not upgrading until it's out. Therefore, I do not mind spending money on multiple cases.

Any cheaper ideas, not Targus or Belkin tho. Don't want the leather or black look. Something colorful.

Lovenpain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too would love something to either add on or better than this crappy $40 polyurethane flap! Don't get me wrong now, I think it's a really cool concept, but I want protection for all sides. Seeming how much I paid for my 16gb 3G ipad2! Lol

jake1974

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think I'll wait and get one of those keyboard cases. They let you use the iPad like a laptop. Nice.

kschles

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Treegloo makes cases similar to Dodo, Portenza, and Pad & Quill. Got an e-mail from them today in response to my question about when their Ipad 2 cases might be ready:

"We are literally wrapping up the final touches and options for the new iPad 2 cases and will be taking orders this week. For a preview of what's to come, the new cases have:
Sleep/Wake function
Sleeker, streamlined frame design
Optional Rear-Facing camera port
Additional wood finishes
More Cover Colors"

Looking forward to see what they come up with.

AJsAWiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
7000ft said:
Has anyone seen any cases or shells that will work with the smart cover? I have only been able to come across one.

The neoprene sleeves will, and probably most of the sleeves made of other materials as well.

Martinm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At the moment i am using a apple smart case as well as a iPad sleeve, so I can protect the back of it.
Link of the sleeve: $19
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/SimpleSleeve-Grantwood-Technologys-Protective-Neoprene/dp/B003KXJE4M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1300932273&sr=8-6[/ame]

Max

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.maxtatau.com
Folded and got the smart cover

I was very hesitant to buying the smart cover hence the no back protection flaw and the only thing available over the counter right now is belkins elan folio cover at best buy. (that's case stinks in so many ways)
I never liked ordering stuff like this since I wanna be hands on and see what I get.
I gave up and dragged my butt two blocks down to the apple store here in San Francisco and got the grey cover, and stopped in at the hardware store for some transparent contact paper.
Worked out pretty good (and cheap). The edges might not at a close inspection go for attractive, but hey, it fills it's purpose.

1000000160.JPG

1000000161.JPG

1000000162.JPG

1000000163.JPG

Most reactions

Latest posts