What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 2 Cases

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
No. I'm not really a "skins" person, mainly because of the lack of protection. Well, I take that back. The only skin I'm really aware of is; skinit, which has ZERO protection. My son designed one (NY Yankees) for his iPhone 4 and (in my opinion) it's a worthless piece of crap. So, I'm on the hunt again.

mackerelthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@blessed: I know you mentioned a book-like case where you can also use a smart cover...have you looked at Twelve South's BookBook? Here's the link: twelvesouth.com/products/bookbook_ipad/ (Sorry it's not active, since I'm new the forum won't let me...)

I purchased an iPad with smart cover, but I wanted some more protection for traveling (i.e. inside a bag, etc.), so I will probably be purchasing the BookBook. I emailed Twelve South to ask if I could use it with the smart cover, and here was their response:

"When the BookBook for iPad is new, the corner straps may be a little tight for a flawless fit with the Smart Cover. However the straps are leather and will stretch, so this combination should work well within a short break-in period. Customers who previously used their BookBooks with iPad1s, which are thicker, find this combination works very nicely because their iPad 1s have stretched the straps."

Also, if you were looking for something more stable than a skin to protect the back of the iPad 2, there's a few thin hard shells I've seen around the internet, also some carbon fiber ones as well...

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
mackerelthecat said:
@blessed: I know you mentioned a book-like case where you can also use a smart cover...have you looked at Twelve South's BookBook? Here's the link: twelvesouth.com/products/bookbook_ipad/ (Sorry it's not active, since I'm new the forum won't let me...)

Does the BookBook have a rear camera port? The last time I looked on their website it didn't seem to show in the pictures, which is a design fail for me.

DC EP3

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm rocking the same combo Steve Jobs had at the reveille - white iPad with the light blue smart cover, as for the back I just ordered the smart cover enhancer by xgearlive I ordered the clear one to show off the iPad back but you can also get it in black

Banquish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nice post! I've been looking for one since I got my iPad march 25th.
Walking around with the bare aluminum sure is sexy, but I'm always so nervous it'll slip, I drop it and it cracks.

What I'm looking for in a case is something minimalist, I.e non obstructive, slim. But it's also got to withstand a 4 foot fall should I be my usual clumsy self, I drop my iPhone 3G almost daily, but it's a tough lil guy, just covered in scratches. I don't want this kind of life for my iPad.

Do y'all think I should go for a hard case or a leather/polyester type form factor?

blessed

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They were a contender until I watched their video. The way the SmartCover is made (side hinges) I don't see how it can fit over the straps. The hinges need to connect to the pad, but the straps are clearly in the way. And the other option of putting the smart cover on first, would definitely not work because of the strap that goes across the front of the display. I really don't know why it's so darn difficult to make a book-like case that will work with the smart cover. The one I currently have now (Brookstone leather case made for iPad1) DOES work with my Smart Cover, however, it does not have a rear hole for the camera. Granted, I probably won't ever use my camera, but that should be my decision, and not theres. Did I mention this SUCKS????!!!!!

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
blessed said:
HKWRITE12:
Did you get your ipad yet???

Fedex tracking says it's still in anchorage, as does yahoo, but flightaware reported three flights from anchorage yesterday. It should have been at my local facility by now. I'm rather upset. I don't want to wait til Monday. I have a busy week next week and I wanted to play.

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have not gotten my iPad but I jus learned some interesting news about iPad otterboxes. They don't have screen protection like the phones? What?

Can anyone offer pros and cons to this. Especially for iPad 2 with allegedly thinner screen. Why pay 100 dollars and still have to buy screen protection. (I know about the snap over.)

Last edited:

vitalion

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thx for that! I guess I have saved a couple of hours messing around for cases and covers! Really helpful thx again.

jaamesalbert

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is very nice posting. The only thing is not posting the pictures. Thanks for sharing such a nice information.

Most reactions

Latest posts