What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for free ipad app involving notes?

Oceans87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I'm a writer- I write a lot of poetry and such- and I'm looking for a FREE app that will allow me to compile all of my work into one place, ,much like a booklet. I realize it came with a notes app but I just really want something more cohesive and organized. As of right now my work is in disarray and I can't truly show it off without feeling a bit akward about not knowing which piece will come next on my notes scroller. I want something more put together and professional.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are several free ePub creation apps. You could self publish a chapbook and display it in iBooks.

Alternately you could create a PDF book or document. This would give you better control over the layout. There are numerous PDF readers, including iBooks that would let you show them to advantage. Even if you saved each poem as an individual PDF file you could select and display them from numerous apps. GoodReader being a well organized choice that would let you save the files in a folder structure.

I would prefer to do that kind of work on a computer. But if you wanted to you can produce a decent layout using Pages. Those files will export as PDF for display in other apps, or you could just leave them in Pages. I don't recommend that though. With as many poems as you are suggesting, keeping individual files for each poem would get cluttered, and putting them all in one document would be give you the same problems as using a note taking program.

If you plan on always having access to the internet you could break your files down to individual poems, text or PDF and save them in DropBox. Again you would be able to keep them in a file structure. More importantly you would have access to them from multiple apps, on multiple devices, anywhere you have an internet connection.

Ok, it occurs to me that this question is too broad. I could go on with options forever. but maybe I've given you some ideas.

OP
O

Oceans87

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
There are several free ePub creation apps. You could self publish a chapbook and display it in iBooks.

Alternately you could create a PDF book or document. This would give you better control over the layout. There are numerous PDF readers, including iBooks that would let you show them to advantage. Even if you saved each poem as an individual PDF file you could select and display them from numerous apps. GoodReader being a well organized choice that would let you save the files in a folder structure.

I would prefer to do that kind of work on a computer. But if you wanted to you can produce a decent layout using Pages. Those files will export as PDF for display in other apps, or you could just leave them in Pages. I don't recommend that though. With as many poems as you are suggesting, keeping individual files for each poem would get cluttered, and putting them all in one document would be give you the same problems as using a note taking program.

If you plan on always having access to the internet you could break your files down to individual poems, text or PDF and save them in DropBox. Again you would be able to keep them in a file structure. More importantly you would have access to them from multiple apps, on multiple devices, anywhere you have an internet connection.

Ok, it occurs to me that this question is too broad. I could go on with options forever. but maybe I've given you some ideas.

Definitely. I'm only 16 but I think I follow you. Are you a poet yourself? (I'm also looking for someone to comment on my writing- as I am always willing to improve my style.)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I learned what I could for a few years. Eventually I decided I wasn't willing to work hard enough at it to achieve mediocrity. :)

My best advice is to read a lot poetry and write a little every day. If you haven't read Mary Oliver's "A Poetry Handbook", it is an excellent book for beginning poets. It makes a pretty good reminder for more experienced ones as well.

Most reactions