What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a Notes application with Dropbox support

Status
Not open for further replies.

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looking for a Notes application with Dropbox support.
My requirements are an app that stores the notes locally and supports dropbox for either syncing or backup/restore. I also want an application that is universal or has both iPhone & iPad clients so I can keep them both in sync.

I have just tried out Plain Text and it works well but wanted to ask around if people had experience of any others since there are few with trials. I have tried Meteor Notes on iPhone which I really like as you can take photo notes as well (not a requirement but a nice to have) but there is no iPad client at the moment.
I'm not a hard core note taker - just looking for something relatively inexpensive that works like the iPhone Notes app (perhaps a couple of extra bells & whistles) but with Dropbox support.

sch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try Notebooks for iPad. Also syncs with Scrivener for desktop writing. Works very well.

Cheers,

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Try Notebooks for iPad. Also syncs with Scrivener for desktop writing. Works very well.

Cheers,

Thanks, looks nice but overkill for my needs and therefore pricey for the iPad/iPhone combined purchase.

gentlefury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can natively sync the Notes app with gmail...which I think is great and use all the time.

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can natively sync the Notes app with gmail...which I think is great and use all the time.

Yes, I have read this but I think you need to set up the connection as imap and it syncs with mail? I'm currently using my mail connection through exchange. Would I have to change this?

Kidtachyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Iwork now syncs with dropbox. You just need to use dropdav. Its either free or cheap, depending on how much dropbox storage you use.

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for the Evernote recommendations however it is overkill for my needs and I am trying to avoid another 'service' if possible. I like the idea of having just a single repository for the files I need.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How about trying Nebulous? It's USD $1.99 in the app store, which I don't think is a bad price for what it does. Plus, it's listed designed for both the iPhone and iPad (has the "+" sign) and I can testify it works great on the iPad.

1) You can edit any text file saved in Dropbox (the app will open your Dropbox so you can see all the folders you have in Dropbox). Select a file and start editing it.

2) You can create a new text and save it to any folder within Dropbox (plus, you can name the text file whatever you wish ... and if you forget the .txt extension, Nebulous will remind you to add it)

3) You can also e-mail your text notes as either an attachment, inline or as a PDF. You can also print your note.

4) It auto-saves your work and re-opens to where you were (iOS 4.2 compatible).

Oh, and there's a free version, if you want to try it out. I don't know what parts of the paid app are restricted (or missing) from the paid app I have ... but at least it'll give you an idea.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

OP
donka

donka

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How about trying Nebulous? It's USD $1.99 in the app store, which I don't think is a bad price for what it does. Plus, it's listed designed for both the iPhone and iPad (has the "+" sign) and I can testify it works great on the iPad.

1) You can edit any text file saved in Dropbox (the app will open your Dropbox so you can see all the folders you have in Dropbox). Select a file and start editing it.

2) You can create a new text and save it to any folder within Dropbox (plus, you can name the text file whatever you wish ... and if you forget the .txt extension, Nebulous will remind you to add it)

3) You can also e-mail your text notes as either an attachment, inline or as a PDF. You can also print your note.

4) It auto-saves your work and re-opens to where you were (iOS 4.2 compatible).

Oh, and there's a free version, if you want to try it out. I don't know what parts of the paid app are restricted (or missing) from the paid app I have ... but at least it'll give you an idea.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Many thanks for the recommendation, I actually tried the free version of this but wasn't keen in it, it has a lot of features I just don't need. I was looking for something a bit more basic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts