What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just ordered my car mount...

Appleslappy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hope it lives up to my expectations.

Didn't feel like getting a 2nd mortgage (and losing my standard radio setup) with the Scosche Kit. Scosche’s iPad in-dash Car Mount Coming Soon | iPad, Mac, iPod and iPhone Accessories

Liked the RAM (use their products currently) but didn't feel like waiting for their release date.....Part Details

Finally decided on this one: ProClip Mounting System - Apple iPad - Holder with Tilt Swivel

Moderate price with vehicle specific mounts. Note it is a two component purchase car mount and iPad holder.

I will post pics and review when I receive and complete the installation.

GiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Didn't feel like getting a 2nd mortgage (and losing my standard radio setup) with the Scosche Kit. Scosche’s iPad in-dash Car Mount Coming Soon | iPad, Mac, iPod and iPhone Accessories

Liked the RAM (use their products currently) but didn't feel like waiting for their release date.....Part Details

Finally decided on this one: ProClip Mounting System - Apple iPad - Holder with Tilt Swivel

Moderate price with vehicle specific mounts. Note it is a two component purchase car mount and iPad holder.

Please do! I've been looking at this. I dont entirely understand this, because ProClips pictures suck (why cant they do a gallery of just the iPad mount installed with an iPad in it from various angles)...so, obviously thr iPad has to be bare (no case, I assume)....is that bracket easily removeable, or pretty much stays put when you mount it?

OP
A

Appleslappy

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Please do! I've been looking at this. I dont entirely understand this, because ProClips pictures suck (why cant they do a gallery of just the iPad mount installed with an iPad in it from various angles)...so, obviously thr iPad has to be bare (no case, I assume)....is that bracket easily removeable, or pretty much stays put when you mount it?

I think the iPad holder itself detaches from the mount ( which I think is semi-permanent?).

Won't know till I get it...I'll be sure to post!

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
ProClip may be pricey but their mounts are second to none. I have a Zune HD mount for my LandRover LR3 and it looks like it is factory made as part of the vehicle. Their iPad mount is actually pretty cheap, I paid nearly $70.00 for my Zune HD mount and swivel. The holder fit very snug and almost have to be forced on, and they also have double-sided tape already attached if needed to make sure it stays put.

The mount will come in two parts, the swivel and the holder. The holder is what is made specifically for your car model, you screw the swivel onto the holder... so you actually buy two pieces. Since I would just need the swivel I will probably be ordering one of these at some point. If you want a real in-car solution I give ProClip a huge thumbs up even though they are pricey as you get what you pay for, a custom mount and swivel built specifically to fit your model car and your specific device.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
I think the iPad holder itself detaches from the mount ( which I think is semi-permanent?).

If the iPad car mount is like their other device mounts it is two pieces that you screw together with multiple screws and then permanently mount to your car; well as permanently as clipping it onto your interior and/or double-side taping it can be. You then simply slide your device (iPad, iPhone, Zune, etc) into the mount each time you get in the car. The mount stays there, and nothing actually attaches to your device. It holds your device in place using a combination of gravity and small plastic ledges around the edge of the holder. The device will slide in very snuggly so it doesn't bounce around.

In my Landrover LR3 I drive over speed bumps and road humps at 30-40 miles per hour and I also take it off road, and my Zune HD has never budged... now I imagine a device as large as the iPad may move some but they design their holders with extreme precision (thus the premium price), so I wouldn't worry about it at all in normal driving conditions.

Last edited:

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Australia it will be a huge $300 fine if you mount it anywhere on the dash board I am putting mine into the glove box. When I sort put mounting it
Other than window mount I had no success with the 2 part iPhone mount they provided for my Mazda 3.

I have installed a full handsfree intergrated Parrot syst with seperate LCD and amp. This charged my iPhone as well I believe the ipad will connect as well but unsure yet.

OP
A

Appleslappy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Brad-that clarifies things a bit for me. I am looking forward to using it. I hope I am as pleased as you have been. I was hoping for a solid mount as I utilize my SUV 25% of the time driving on seasonal roads and "2 tracks"....

It will be the icing on the cake paired with my jabra cruiser that I can link via Bluetooth and then broadcast to my stereo via it's FM modulator.

Col. It is interesting that a front of dashboard mount would be illegal. Here in the states, many states frown on things on top of the dash, attached to windshield, or dangling from the rearview mirror. Enforcement is spotty I have found....I use a windshield mount for my radar detector and for my GPS though neither are mounted there 100% of the time. The iPad just seemed way too big for a windshield mount though I found some for sale. I would like to see what a glovebox mount :confused: looks like if you have a chance.

Brad Groux

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.bradgroux.com
I just made a blog post about my ProClip for my Zune HD that has a video and hi-res images, you can view that here : REVIEW & INSTALL: ProClip Vehicle Mount for Zune HD | BradGroux.com

Or if you want to see the video...
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtuLXC4TXo4&hd=1]YouTube - HD ProClip USA Vehicle Mount System for Zune HD & Land Rover LR3[/ame]

I'm very happy with the quality of ProClip, so I can't wait to see their iPad mount in action.

OP
A

Appleslappy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got the mount installed. Love it!

Seems very stable and the tilt swivel is a great feature.

iPad%20auto%20mount.

Last edited:

Robertt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tell us about the installation. I'm considering getting this one but can't figure the install out from their website.

OP
A

Appleslappy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tell us about the installation. I'm considering getting this one but can't figure the install out from their website.

It's really a simple process...

Order the vehicle specific mount.
Order the specific mount for the device.
Snap the vehicle mount in place. It is a precise fit...
Attach the bracket for your device using the provided screws.
Slide your device into bracket.
Adjust device according to your preferences ( I recommend the tilt swivel mount)

That's all there is to it.

Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts