What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Car Mount in my Land Cruiser

Anthony.L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thought I would show off my car mount for the iPad in my 2004 Toyota Land Cruiser. One of the main purposes for purchasing the iPad was in-car mobile internet but more importantly off-road navigation and tracking.

Both the iPad and iPod mounts are made by RAM MOUNT in Seattle WA. I really like the RAM holder for the iPad. However the base is a little shaky, moves around quiet a bit over bumps and when typing on it. So I've bought some alum stock and plan to brace it to the center console to make it more sturdy. Otherwise, both are very good products.

lc_car_mount_1.jpg

lc_car_mount_2.jpg

griffinfyre

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pretty cool, as long as you don't get distracted :)

It's funny, my boyfriend is redesigning a scooter for a campus project, and some of the more enthusiastic members wanted to mount an iPad on the scooter... I think yours is a much better idea!

StarLog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like that way as well, this is what I did to my 03 Cobra.

719d1285796904-photos-ipads-around-world-ipad-2.jpg

718d1285796889-photos-ipads-around-world-ipad-1.jpg

zombiemaster

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Man i cant wait..

untill you look up from that ipad one day AND THEIRS A CAR STOPPED 5 FEET IN FRONT OF YOU WHILE YOUR DOING 30MPH....

THAT IS JUST AN ACCIDENT WAITING TO HAPPEN...

w1ngman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now now... He'll figure out how to attach & connect to a forward-pointing bluetooth video bulletcam, then program an app so that he can see what's in front of the car by viewing through his dash-mounted iPad. It will sell like hotcakes!:)

iPadBiz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks good. How well does the RAM mount work with the pad in a case... If you've tried this??

OP
Anthony.L

Anthony.L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looks good. How well does the RAM mount work with the pad in a case... If you've tried this??

The iPad will not work in the RAM mount with any kind of case or cover installed on it. The fit in the mount is very snug for the iPad by itself. Which is very good, because when I'm off-road bouncing on the trails I do not want the iPad to pop out of the mount.

P.S. I also bought a Pro Clip mount (which I did not like or use) and it also would not work with the iPad installed in a case or cover. In fact I don't see how any mount would work that way.

Last edited:
OP
Anthony.L

Anthony.L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What are you using for Off-Road Navigation and tracking?

I'm using the MotionX GPS HD app built specifically for iPad. It's only $2.99 and very powerful, has to be the best deal for the iPad and mobile applications. I can download and store offline maps for when I'm in the backcountry and no cell signal. My favorite part is recording of tracks during my trip and saving them in both GPX and KML file formats. You can then right from the app e-mail the files to your account and/or post them on your Facebook and Twitter.

Here is a recent 4x4 wheeling trip I did. This is the GPX file loaded into Google Maps and then screenshot. You can also load them directly into Google Earth and play back the entire trip in real time. Pretty cool stuff!

Tahuya%20GPS%20Terrain%20Track%2011-6-2010.png

Last edited:
OP
Anthony.L

Anthony.L

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to be changing my CD radio soon as well as work on the iPad mount moving it slightly and reinforce the base. I will post updated photos once all the changes are done.

kizer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Something tells me I should of got the 3G version so I could take advantage of the GPS. Darn it.

I offroad a lot in my Jeep and I would of loved to map it like that.

Looks like I could get the Bad Elf GPS model and go for it. Man thats half way towards the 3G model I could of got. LOL

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts