What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best way to play iPad in car? And will this work?

TJCloutier

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen a way to basically hardwire your iPad in your car, and I'm looking to just do something similar. I just purchased an iPad yesterday and I'm thinking about how I'm going to play it in the car.

I had a Jensen video deck but I recently decided to replace it with the iPad, without cutting holes in my dash which isn't too good of an idea I've decided that I should just get a mount. The problem is I have no deck at the moment however I still have my original Chevy deck (green led you know what I mean? typical) for my 2006 Chevy Impala. It has an AUX output and I'm thinking I could just plug it into the aux and get a nice mount.

A couple questions:
1. Playing the iPad through the AUX will get me decent quality but is there anyway else to get really good quality besides AUX?

2. There's going to be a relatively big hole in the center console of my car. Where does the mount go? I've been looking at this mount and would like to know peoples thoughts on it and where it goes. Looks like it attaches to the air vent? I understand it's vehicle specific but in general where does it go?

Apple iPad - Holder with Tilt Swivel - ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, GPS, and Handheld Devices

Thanks!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've seen a way to basically hardwire your iPad in your car, and I'm looking to just do something similar. I just purchased an iPad yesterday and I'm thinking about how I'm going to play it in the car.

I had a Jensen video deck but I recently decided to replace it with the iPad, without cutting holes in my dash which isn't too good of an idea I've decided that I should just get a mount. The problem is I have no deck at the moment however I still have my original Chevy deck (green led you know what I mean? typical) for my 2006 Chevy Impala. It has an AUX output and I'm thinking I could just plug it into the aux and get a nice mount.

A couple questions:
1. Playing the iPad through the AUX will get me decent quality but is there anyway else to get really good quality besides AUX?

2. There's going to be a relatively big hole in the center console of my car. Where does the mount go? I've been looking at this mount and would like to know peoples thoughts on it and where it goes. Looks like it attaches to the air vent? I understand it's vehicle specific but in general where does it go?

Apple iPad - Holder with Tilt Swivel*-*ProClip Car Mounts for Mobile Phones, GPS, and Handheld Devices

Thanks!

I have used my iPad in my car using the AUX input to my car stereo - it works just fine.

However, other Forum members have also used those small FM broadcasters that plug into the iPad's dock connector. It broadcasts the iPad audio output on a spare FM frequency to your car FM stereo.

Tim
Scotland

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or there is Door #3! I recently installed an HD radio in the mighty Cherokee that has a USB port that not only charges the iPad (slowly) but is also capable of controlling the iPad through the head unit. I actually don't use this mode since it is much easier for me.... um.... I mean it is easier for my passenger to control the iPad using the native iPod app.

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hands free voice control through passenger is best.

When not available I use the iPhone transmitter jack in my puny renault espace along with children, bikes, pets, skateboards, in line skates et al...

Most reactions

Latest posts