What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Issues...!

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Once Again! :)
I have a few things here, maybe I can get some guidance... I hope!

1. On my iPad, I go Settings->[my name]->Payment and Shipping. All the information is there except my credit card’s expiry date and CVV (you know, that 3 digit security measure on the back of the card). I have repeatedly entered that info- which I know is correct- tap ‘Save,’ and get a message ‘Invalid Payment Method, there was a problem validating...’ Does anyone know what I can do about this? Thank you!

2. I have 2 iPads, a 4 year old Air and newer Gen 5. I have a bunch of videos on the Air that I’d like to see on my Gen 5. But the Gen 5 says I don’t have any videos. I changed the Home Sharing on the Gen 5 to match the ID & PW of the Air, but that didn’t work. The videos still don’t show up on the Gen 5. Can anyone help me with *this* issue? I have no idea...

3. I read that only one Apple ID is needed for all your Apple devices. As I currently have different Apple ID’s for each of my iPads, I tried to change the Apple ID on my Gen 5 to be the same as the ID on my Air. I got a message, ‘This ID is currently in use by another device.’ Like I didn’t know! What can I do??

4. Now I’ve really made a mess for myself- in an attempt to solve the 3 issues above, I went to my Gen 5 Settings->General->Reset->Reset All Settings. My Gen 5 had an alphanumeric passcode, and I logged out, and when I try to log back in, only a numeric option is offered. So, I’m currently locked out of my Gen 5.

5. Just in passing, I use a VPN on the iPad. But I read that Apple iOS is now using 256 bit encryption. Given that level of encryption, is a VPN really necessary? I’m not using these iPads for business, but I do do some financial stuff with them. What do you think?

I hate to be a bother, coming to you guys with these questions. I admit I haven’t read the latest iPad User Guide (11.3) in its entirety, but you got/get the info from somewhere, so if you can pass me some links, I can do my homework and get up to your level of knowledge.

Apple Support Singapore doesn’t seem too well trained, in fact, I don’t think they’ve been any help at all. I’ve either worked things out myself, or done it with *your* kind assistance.

Finally, I’m concerned about all the issues above, but being locked out of my Gen 5 (#4, above) is concerning me the most at the moment.

Thank You very much for your time! :)

superfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I haven't come up with any answers yet, but my credit card information is working the same way.
No date or CVV. It might be a feature not a bug.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A VPN service obscures the location you’re posting or browsing from. It’s separate from any encryption methods you may be using.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi, NSquirrel & scifan57. All I tried to do was set my iPads up same like you do, but it didn’t work for me.

I attempted to log in deliberately 10 times to ‘wipe the slate clean’ and start fresh, even though I didn’t want to lose my data (I have a 4 day old backup).

But after logging in incorrectly a number of times (and my correct login is alphanumeric) I got a message ‘iPad is disabled. Connect to iTunes. I did that, and got a message saying they couldn’t sync because I had to login correctly to my iPad! At this point, there isn’t even anywhere I *can* log in to the iPad!

Seems I got a real lemon with this Gen 5.

But I will find a way. Frankly, I think they should replace it.

Singapore Support- no help as usual :)

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, NSquirrel & scifan57. All I tried to do was set my iPads up same like you do, but it didn’t work for me.

I attempted to log in deliberately 10 times to ‘wipe the slate clean’ and start fresh, even though I didn’t want to lose my data (I have a 4 day old backup).

But after logging in incorrectly a number of times (and my correct login is alphanumeric) I got a message ‘iPad is disabled. Connect to iTunes. I did that, and got a message saying they couldn’t sync because I had to login correctly to my iPad! At this point, there isn’t even anywhere I *can* log in to the iPad!

Seems I got a real lemon with this Gen 5.

But I will find a way. Frankly, I think they should replace it.

Singapore Support- no help as usual :)
If you use DFU mode to restore your iPad when connected to iTunes on your computer you will not need the password to do the restore. You will end up with a blank iPad in the same condition it was in when new. DFU Mode - The iPhone Wiki

NSquirrel

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure which your back up is for, but you can restore from the iPad backup onto the Gen5 - as long as the data you want to keep is not on the Gen5 backup.

Most reactions

Latest posts