What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Two iPad Question

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I have an iPad Air and an iPad Generation 5.

I noticed that on the Gen 5, I go to Settings->tap my name (top left)-> and on the right, under ‘Apple ID,’ both of my iPads show.

But on the Air, I do the same and only the Air shows.

I don’t know what to make of it. How can this happen? Is it serious? I have two factor authentication enabled on both of them.

Main point- should I enable the Air to ‘see’ both of my iPads, same like the Gen 5 does? If so, how would I do that?

Sorry if I worry too much! :) But I like to understand these things...

Thank You!

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That’s one thing I was wondering- I’ve set these iPads up separately, which is to say they have different passcodes, ID’s, nothing duplicated with them.

Is there any setting that *should* be the same on both of them?

I will do what you said, see how it goes!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your Apple ID and iCloud sign in details should remain the same on all your devices. That way each device has access to any iTunes or App Store content purchased or downloaded on another device.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, scifan57. This Gen 5 iPad was supposed to be new, I bought it at a reseller, but it wasn’t new, it had been ‘tinkered’ with. I won’t bore you with the details, but I’ve had a lot of grief since I got it, and now, problems with the old Air.

J.A., you say on my Air, sign out of the ID, then sign in again? To be clear, do you mean Settings->my name top left->Sign Out at bottom of the right side?

Because I get an advisory when I tap ‘sign out,’ it says ‘Keep a copy of your data on this iPad? Data removed will still be available in iCloud,’ then it specifically mentions Calendars, News & Safari. Any documents and data stored in iCloud Drive will be removed from this iPad.

I’ve got 4 years of ‘stuff’ on my Air, a lot of work there, I would not like to risk losing it!

That’s why I’m asking you about the path to sign out of the Air ID.

Thanks, Everybody! :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That’s not resetting or erasing the iPad. It’s possible to keep iCloud data on the iPad. Even if you don’t keep them, they’ll sync back to the iPad when you sign in with the ID again. The rest of your content (apps, e.g.) will not be removed.

If you use different IDs on both iPads, the iPad Air is not supposed to appear in the new device’s settings. In that case, sign out on the new iPad, then sign in again.

If you want to connect them via iCloud, the ID should be the same on both devices.

OP
S

SPROINGY

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks, J.A.! Boy, it’s been a bother! One thing after another...

Yes, I have videos on my old Air (which is showing signs of wear & tear after 4 years) that I would like to see on my nice new Gen 5.

I also have some videos I made myself that will *not* play on the Air. I tap them, but all I get is the spinning wheel.

If I change my Apple ID to be one and the same on both devices, will I then have access to the purchased and self made videos on my new iPad?

Guess I can try it and see.

Thanks Again!

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’m not sure but I think that’s part of networking. I know that sometimes my windows computer shows up on that screen on my iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts