What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is my Ipad 2 used ?? :S

semiticpride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
about a week ago I visited some places that sell apple stuff searching for the ipad 2 and it was out of stuck, so a guy told me about a small place that sells and buys new and used mobiles....

I bought a fully sealed new 3G 64GB I pad 2, I opened it and Everything was ok....all the items are there clean an sealed and everything, the ipad had that plastic case around it....I synced it to my laptop and took it after that to an apple premium reseller branch to buy a cover and to place the screen protector....the guy that was helping me place the protector was sure that my ipad is used when I told him I bought it from that small place :S I told him no way that's impossible it was new! he said no they are cheaters.....I went to youtube and searched for "ipad 2 unboxing" just to check if mine was the same.....IT WAS JUST THE SAME!!

I'm sure its new but everytime i remember how that guy was serious, i just start to wish I bought it from apple itself ;( its working all fine but if I wanted a used one I would have payed less!

my question is: How can I be sure 100% that it was Never used ? is there a way to know by the serial number or by the warranty status or anything ? plz help

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
semiticpride said:
about a week ago I visited some places that sell apple stuff searching for the ipad 2 and it was out of stuck, so a guy told me about a small place that sells and buys new and used mobiles....

I bought a fully sealed new 3G 64GB I pad 2, I opened it and Everything was ok....all the items are there clean an sealed and everything, the ipad had that plastic case around it....I synced it to my laptop and took it after that to an apple premium reseller branch to buy a cover and to place the screen protector....the guy that was helping me place the protector was sure that my ipad is used when I told him I bought it from that small place :S I told him no way that's impossible it was new! he said no they are cheaters.....I went to youtube and searched for "ipad 2 unboxing" just to check if mine was the same.....IT WAS JUST THE SAME!!

I'm sure its new but everytime i remember how that guy was serious, i just start to wish I bought it from apple itself ;( its working all fine but if I wanted a used one I would have payed less!

my question is: How can I be sure 100% that it was Never used ? is there a way to know by the serial number or by the warranty status or anything ? plz help

Apple would know if your iPad has been registered before, but if it came in the proper packaging then the people who sold it to you as new would be in serious trouble if you could prove it. If you are worried, I would contact Apple. Any shops selling used goods as new is breaking the law.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OP
S

semiticpride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanx, I wanna contact apple but is there a specific Email that deals with this stuff ?

TMWeddle

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
rustymailbox.blogspot.com
Just by reading your account I would think your iPad is new, but I wonder other things about how it happened to get to the store where you obtained it.. If you were able to register it with Apple then I would assume all is O.K.

OP
S

semiticpride

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanx :D

I checked my warranty status on apple support and this is what it says:

"Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: May 23, 2012"

I bought the Ipad on May 24, 2011

so this should be a guarantee that it is brand new right ??

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
semiticpride said:
Thanx :D

I checked my warranty status on apple support and this is what it says:

"Your product is covered for eligible hardware repairs and service under Apple's Limited Warranty.
Estimated Expiration Date: May 23, 2012"

I bought the Ipad on May 24, 2011

so this should be a guarantee that it is brand new right ??

In a nutshell, yes....That's a full year so you are fine. It is odd how this ended up in the shop though :)

JustinOhio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't worry about it at this point... I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if this shop had some shady dealings in the past based on what you said but that doesn't mean that you necessarily got screwed by them. It sounds like its under warranty and you are the first owner.. Just beware of deals like this in the future... By the way, did you pay any less for that than apple charges? If not then I would just buy directly from them next time or another authorized retailer. Good luck and congrats on your new iPad!

the_john

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There was a guy on the news here a while back when the iPad2 first came out that got a "non-working display model" in his new, unopened packaging. The store owner was explaining that the customer had stolen a display model, bought the iPad and switched them out and is trying to pull a scam. He also mentioned that the display models are empty shells which confused the heck out of me because all of the display models I've seen work and you can play with them.

Most reactions

Latest posts