Big Mess with IPAD 2 and best buy

Discussion in 'iPad 2 Forum' started by vinnan, Mar 12, 2011.

1. vinnan

vinnan iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    bought an ipad 2 32GB from Best Buy store's Customer Service Desk today (11th march, 2011). I was told that a customer just returned an ipad 2 32GB so it was made available to us at 19:23 hrs on the day of its release (awesome? Nope, AWEFUL). I went home, removed the wrapper and opened the box that had ipad older version in it and NOT ipad 2.
    I rushed to the Best Buy store from which I bought it at around 20:00 hrs,
    They said the guy who returned it had given it with seal which the lady at the service desk testifies it to be "Apple Seal" from her experience. They said we switched it with ipad older version in 30 mins not considering the fact that it has been returned by their previous customer and he could have switched it.
    As a result we are losing money and product, which I do not need

Questions we asked,
    1. How could we ever trust you? Do you want us to open the pack right at the store when we buy stuff?
    Answered by Sales Manager: 'Yes! you probably should open it right here'

2. Do we pay for YOUR fraud customer?
    Answered by Sales Manager: 'Yes! because you opened the box and we don't know who switched it'
    Answered by another lady (I suppose a rep): 'our previous customer is not a fraud because he had returned with good seal and I could totally say it was genuine. I don't know if could say this, but he returned it because he bought it for his friend who couldn't pay'

3. Are we stuck with this then? Do I have a solution?
    Answered by Sales Manager: 'you can talk to Apple. they are reputed and will consider your complaint because this is not the previous customer's fraud return - If you believe you have not switched it'

4. I just bought it from best buy and i'm back here in 30 mins. Are you saying I switched it?
    All of them: 'we can't do anything about it. Talk to the manufacturer'.

Experience: The lady Service Rep was rude and was arguing that the customer who returned was genuine only because of the transparent wrap. When I came home and checked out the wrap - it was one of the cheapest plastic material that Mr. Jobs would laugh at. And of course my husband didn't realize it while opening it and I did not bother to touch it and feel it when I was expecting a brand new ipad 2 in a neat white box.
    I am sure the lady who argued about it wouldn't have agreed with us about the wrap because we could have switched that too. This makes me feel that she definitely has her HAND in it or she doesn't like brown skinned like me. May be she doesn't want to accept her fault for not having checked it properly when
    SHE received the return and believed the story of her fraud customer.

i need help What can i do
  2. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Keep going up higher in the BestBuy chain which probably means their corporate office.

Best Buy Corporate Office
    7601 Penn Ave.
    South Richfield, MN 55423
    (612)291-1000
  3. tweeter

tweeter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Wow, I don't even know what to say about that, but that's horrible. Guess they don't call it "worst buy" for nothing. I thought it was just our local BB that was so bad. Hope you can get it resolved.
  4. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    And this is why you NEVER buy apple products from best buy!!!

BTW, there is no such thing as an Apple Seal. The box is shrink wrapped and when you open it the device is wrapped in plastic...thats it.

They are obviously lying and are negligent.
  5. Fifi1992

Fifi1992 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Point taken that's why I ordered mines online. From apple.com
  6. Fifi1992

Fifi1992 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I pray that it works out for you
  7. mx1

mx1 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Local News outlet

Tim
  8. dmaul1114

dmaul1114 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Best Buy has some of the worst customer service in the industry. Hopefully they'll soon suffer the same fate as Circuit City.
  9. 1million

1million iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +21 / 0
    This makes me mad. Hopefully it works out for you.
  10. Pvanosta

Pvanosta iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lesson learned: if buying a 'returned item', ALWAYS check the content of the box before paying or at least before leaving the store...
  11. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Some thoughts....

Go back to Best Buy and call the police. A crime has occurred and you are the victim.

Calmly explain that that is what you have to do with the BB manager. If that doesn't work ask for regional manager. Calmly explain that if you were a thief you would not be calling the police. Explain you intend to call the local news media who would love to report on this during the release of the iPad 2.

If you paid by CC explain you will call bank and demand a chargeback.

Explain by not following up with the original "purchaser" (thief) they are allowing the crime to go unpunished.

Explain that if all else fails you will be filing complaints with your state's Attorney General, local congressional representative, consumer affairs, better business bureau, social networking, and any others you can think of.

Don't give up.

Michael
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011
  12. freebirdforever

freebirdforever iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Oh my god. Where was this located? I will do everything in my power to make sure this gets noticed on the BB employee line as well as the higher ups. This should not have happened and..wow...I'm speechless. My mobile store would NEVER treat a customer like this, and if they did, they'd be fired on the spot. I can't believe this....but I have heard stories of other best buys treating customers horridly. BAH. Well, like I said I will see what I can do.
  13. dmaul1114

dmaul1114 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The cops can't do anything about a dispute like this between and store and a customer. It's not a criminal matter but rather a civil one so they'll just refer you to the local civil court, better business bureau etc., so that would be a waste of time vs. just going those avenues first.

But as others note, keep going up the Best Buy corporate ladder until you get some that will rectify the situation.
  14. taikoo

taikoo iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The ipad in your ipad2 box have a serial number that might help you to track down the previous user. If Apple can help you track him/her down, it might help as long as you can prove that person is not you. However a police report might require. Very sorry you hear that you got into this mess.
  15. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    They can take a report. This IS A CRIME. The guy stole an iPad 2.

It is not a civil matter anymore than shoplifting is. Try walking in with an iPad and swapping it for an iPad 2... then tell security as they stop you that it is a "civil matter."

And it's not a desire to call the police... only to show the willingness to do so. If I was the manager I would not think the real thief would want to do that.

Michael
  16. Mei

Mei iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In addition to going higher up the chain as others have suggested, if you want to get the word out even more --- Best Buy has a forum on its website that is monitored by BB employees. There's a customer service board that gets a lot of traffic.. Good luck getting it sorted out, I cannot believe you were treated that way.
  17. dmaul1114

dmaul1114 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0

It's a fraudulent return, and the store is trying to screw vinnan by blaming him.

It's just not a police matter (I do research with police for a living). If it was a criminal matter like shoplifting don't you think Best Buy would have called the cops and tried to press charges against the original person or vinnan?

Fraudulent returns just aren't something police deal with unlike shoplifting. The store security has to build their case on such matters, police won't waste their resources on that kind of stuff, or helping a customer the store is trying to screw over like vinnan.

I'll give another fraud example that happened on one police ridealong I was doing. A woman called because her nephew was stealing her mothers (his grandmothers) social security checks somehow and depositing them into his account. The cop told her there was nothing he could do and she would have to go to the bank and have the bank start an investigation.

Not the same situation, but just a way to show things that we think would be crimes that police could deal with often aren't. They don't really deal with fraud, fraudulent returns and some other white collar crimes. Most of this kind of stuff you have to take to civil court on your own, or go to the better business bureau etc.

Even things like this they technically could deal with the cop will often blow off as they don't want to waste their time on small crap like that when they can be out patrolling and trying to catch more serious criminals. You may have more luck on that front in smaller city that doesn't have much crime of course.
  18. Futurebird

Futurebird iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow. This SUCKS. Keep us updated-- They need to catch the criminal!
  19. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I fully understand the police would not do anything. Believe me. But the psychological effect of being willing to call them can be a tool to convince the manager that he or she is wrong.

That said we don't really know anything about the OP. This was his first and only post. So perhaps we all need to wait for more info before rushing to judgement.

Michael
  20. Mtnmedic

Mtnmedic iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Tin man and freebird offer good advice. Yes, a crime HAS been committed. It's called Theft by Conversion. And if over $500 in value in some states, that's a FELONY.

By all means, take a multi-pronged approach: the BBB, Best Buy corporate, their forums, the news. In Sacramento, we have a TV news consumer action reporter named Curtis Ming who takes cases like this, investigates, gets it all over the news and often gets good results by communicating with the vendor or the vendor feels the PR heat. If you have witnesses, the better. And get in touch with freebird.

Dude, that totally sucks. Yeah, if "new" ain't in shrink wrap, it's probably not new. But some stores get "the switch" and they blithely re-shrink wrap a return without paying attention. The BB employee who took the return did a terrible job. But that's nothing in comparison to the store staff's attitude toward your situation. Be vocal, get others to hear you. What's a few hundred dollars to shut someone up than losing customers who want to make big ticket purchases (particularly the iPad)?

I rarely buy anything from BB, anyway. I go to Fry's. Better selection, better prices and no-hassle returns. On occasion I'll buy an open box item for a good price from BB, but that's about it other than to go in and personally get a hands-on look at some stuff.

I'm glad my iPad 2nd coming straight from Apple.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF