What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Mess with IPAD 2 and best buy

FatalDesain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah that sucks, alot of scammers are on craigslist now, I had a guy tell me he was nasser khalili and would pay 2500 for them if bring they to his house. 2.5 times more than what I paid. Can't repeat what I said but it was very colorful.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
FatalDesain said:
Yeah that sucks, alot of scammers are on craigslist now, I had a guy tell me he was nasser khalili and would pay 2500 for them if bring they to his house. 2.5 times more than what I paid. Can't repeat what I said but it was very colorful.

Oooh...but I LIKE colorful!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
bought an ipad 2 32GB from Best Buy store's Customer Service Desk today (11th march, 2011). I was told that a customer just returned an ipad 2 32GB so it was made available to us at 19:23 hrs on the day of its release (awesome? Nope, AWEFUL). I went home, removed the wrapper and opened the box that had ipad older version in it and NOT ipad 2.
I rushed to the Best Buy store from which I bought it at around 20:00 hrs,
They said the guy who returned it had given it with seal which the lady at the service desk testifies it to be "Apple Seal" from her experience. They said we switched it with ipad older version in 30 mins not considering the fact that it has been returned by their previous customer and he could have switched it.
As a result we are losing money and product, which I do not need

Questions we asked,
1. How could we ever trust you? Do you want us to open the pack right at the store when we buy stuff?
Answered by Sales Manager: 'Yes! you probably should open it right here'

2. Do we pay for YOUR fraud customer?
Answered by Sales Manager: 'Yes! because you opened the box and we don't know who switched it'
Answered by another lady (I suppose a rep): 'our previous customer is not a fraud because he had returned with good seal and I could totally say it was genuine. I don't know if could say this, but he returned it because he bought it for his friend who couldn't pay'

3. Are we stuck with this then? Do I have a solution?
Answered by Sales Manager: 'you can talk to Apple. they are reputed and will consider your complaint because this is not the previous customer's fraud return - If you believe you have not switched it'

4. I just bought it from best buy and i'm back here in 30 mins. Are you saying I switched it?
All of them: 'we can't do anything about it. Talk to the manufacturer'.

Experience: The lady Service Rep was rude and was arguing that the customer who returned was genuine only because of the transparent wrap. When I came home and checked out the wrap - it was one of the cheapest plastic material that Mr. Jobs would laugh at. And of course my husband didn't realize it while opening it and I did not bother to touch it and feel it when I was expecting a brand new ipad 2 in a neat white box.
I am sure the lady who argued about it wouldn't have agreed with us about the wrap because we could have switched that too. This makes me feel that she definitely has her HAND in it or she doesn't like brown skinned like me. May be she doesn't want to accept her fault for not having checked it properly when
SHE received the return and believed the story of her fraud customer.

i need help What can i do

I truly feel for u. I had to stop midway reading to tell my woman. That is sooo f$&@$& up you are having to go thru this. I hope it gets solved for u. All best buy has to do is look at the time of the original return and match it with the video's and there's ur suspect, right on cam as I'm sure a cam records at every register. Damn! I know u are pissed about that. Just try to keep ur cool when talon to apple reps so they'd be more inclined to help u. I would call ur local news. This would make a great news story and bad publicity for best buy. I bet best buy themselves will swap it out then..lol plus u deserve some free accessories for what u are having to go thru. Seriously. It can't hurt, call the local news and get them involved. This is not the first time I heard of the ol swap trick. People were fooling the stores with iPhones and ipad1's. They put rocks or a comparable weight in the box and rewrapped it. Then someone else bought it and had to go thru same hassle as u now. Keep fighting and going up the chain. Local news may make things happen faster since they love stories like this and would make best buy look very bad for not helping u more. Good luck!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Serial number. Tell the store to check with apple to see if anyone else ever registered the iPad for it's warrantee. The serial number will be on file along with the previous owner's information. Apple may not be able to release the info, but they would be able to confirm that you never owned the iPad.

Of course that will only work if they registered it.

Futurebird

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mtnmedic said:
freebird is right. I may not be crazy about Best Buy for a number of reasons (mostly due to their prices), but they generally run a decent ship and their folks are usually pretty helpful. This situation is more the exception than the rule. We have a new BB here in Auburn (35 minutes south of my house, which is THE closest electronics store to me-and dang it, they DON'T sell iPads there) and folks go there because it's convenient. But it's a nice store and I like to go in there from time to time. Then go next door and eat pizza!

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad using iPF

I see your point but it really isn't just this post that has made me glad not to shop at this store. I had some trouble buying an AC this summer at best buy. I won't bore you with the story, but it involved multiple stores, and multiple mixups and a good dose of condescending disrespectful interactions with people who worked there...

I was willing to let that slide, customer service is hard, no one is perfect. There have been some other things that bothered me... But, the store is right in my neighborhood and I like to shop locally rather than go in to manhattan all the time... Outer roughshod get no respect. So, yesterday I lined up at best buy to get my iPad. Although, many people were asking no one at the store would tell anyone in the line how many iPads they had or what model, they had over 60 people waiting and then announced at 4:45 that they only had 10 iPads... And no 3G models. Why they could not have said this sooner? I don't know. They were also just not very nice to us, they had all their security people pacing around in a menacing way... It was unpleasant.

I walked over to Target... Because i wanted th 3g model.. The wait of 30min was just a waste... One that they could have avoided by saying what they had... I had assumed an electronics store would have more... Electronics... But target had more iPads... And more to the point, they were very active and helpful letting the people in line know what they did and did not have... And they were nice about it, in fact it was a lot of fun! The security there was not menacing, there was one guard who was talking and joking with everyone. It made a huge difference.

The fact that best buy had so few iPads is indicative of the way that they consistently underestimate my neighborhood. One of the owners said they only opened the south bronx store for the government tax breaks and traffic from the highways. But, most of the customers are local... The parking lit is always empty... Because all of the customers walk there from the neigjborhood. Target "gets" this and has ajusted... Best buy...not so much! When I go there I have more employees following me acting like I'm going to steal something than I have people asking what I want to buy. I feel like I'm treated like a criminal in there... So this story really hits home. Target and other stores in our new shopping complex send out circulars to the neighborhood with sales, and they even show up at community events to get people to fill out job applications and to get community input on how they can be better. I never see best buy at any of those places.

I'm willing to have my mind changed, but, it's going to take more than your form post to change it. I'm glad that you care about your job, that's what makes for a good staff... if you worked at my best buy I'd reconsider. But for now? I'm done!

OP
V

vinnan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all

Thanks a lot for the comments again

Just came back from best buy and met the manager...

initially when i started explaining the story to the manager she stopped me and said "Wait i heard this happened yesterday and we cannot do anything"

i was like wtf and started raising my voice in the middle of the floor..then a guy came in apparently "Customer Relations guy" and i explained him about the story in detailed and told him if this cannot be resolved in a civil way..i will have to call the cops and even go on to an extreme of doing a finger print analysis in the "fake wrapper" to see if the best buy sales reps finger print is on it....

The guy took my receipt inside and asked me to hold on to the product and the "Wrapper" and came back after 30 mins and said "i took a copy of your receipt and will have to investigate with all the employees involved and will call me back by tonight"

and he called me back said he was really sorry and he checked a lot of things and then finally gave an exchange with in next 1 hr :) :) :) :) :) :)

you guys are awesome.....all your help is really appreciated in getting this matter solved.... i am really really really happy now and gonna go grab a drink...

netsecpro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that things got worked out for you. I wentbto my local BB tonight after dinner just so i could see and hold one of the new models and compare it to my iPad 1. I asked if they had any in stock, and was told that they had one that had been returned. I mentioned this story to the associate and was told that then returned unit had not been opened and was returned because the purchaser realized that he could not afford it as he originally thoughtbhe could. I can only hope that whoever buys it does not get screwed over.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Woo hoo! Awesome results! And you stuck to your guns, pardner! Good job! Have a drink for me, too! That's good news.

DavidM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There was a huge write up in the local Lansing paper about a guy who bought a new digital camera who got it home only to find the box empty. Even after a couple more follow ups by the paper BB still told the guy tough sh&t. So don't expect anything unless you can put some pressure on them. Maybe a picket of their store saying they cheated ya. Cutting off their customers is the only way to get their attention.

OP
V

vinnan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@netsecpro

mine was not opened tooo and the fraud had told BB that he bought it for a friend who could not afford it ;)

It was actually a crappy wrap which BB rep failed to recognize...which is BS coz yesterday she argued saying she had dealt with apple products well enough to identify a fake packing...

@Mtnmedic

thanks a lot ;)

Last edited:

iFrog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow, I been following the story and I VERY happy for you that thinks work out just perfect this time!!!!!!

Big lesson not only for you but for a lot of people. I was one that never left the store yesterday until I open and inspect the iPad2 right at the moment of purchase.

Again happy for you man, Now go and have fun with the new toy!!!!!!

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vinnan said:
Hi all

Thanks a lot for the comments again

Just came back from best buy and met the manager...

initially when i started explaining the story to the manager she stopped me and said "Wait i heard this happened yesterday and we cannot do anything"

i was like wtf and started raising my voice in the middle of the floor..then a guy came in apparently "Customer Relations guy" and i explained him about the story in detailed and told him if this cannot be resolved in a civil way..i will have to call the cops and even go on to an extreme of doing a finger print analysis in the "fake wrapper" to see if the best buy sales reps finger print is on it....

The guy took my receipt inside and asked me to hold on to the product and the "Wrapper" and came back after 30 mins and said "i took a copy of your receipt and will have to investigate with all the employees involved and will call me back by tonight"

and he called me back said he was really sorry and he checked a lot of things and then finally gave an exchange with in next 1 hr :) :) :) :) :) :)

you guys are awesome.....all your help is really appreciated in getting this matter solved.... i am really really really happy now and gonna go grab a drink...

Do u wanna sell one since u have 2 ipad 2's now?! I kid I kid Haha good job! Maybe your ready to be an investigator now if your not already.

Most reactions

Latest posts