What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad 2 screen protector Zagg

Munchkin52

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been using screen protectors for years on Palm products and on my iphones and ipad 1. Interesting story:
iPhone 4 (now the "ugly stepsister of my new iPad 2) in Speck case with cheap screen protector.... Threw it in my purse as usual. Threw a pair of earrings that were bothering me into purse, and when I pulled out IPhone, there were 2 deep scratches embedded in the cover. I was literally sick over this. I saw cuts in the screen.
Got up nerve to remove screen cover after a few days of yelling at myself (dumb, stupid, careless....etc.) and when I pulled the screen protector off, the screen was perfect. I couldn't believe my luck.

Got new iPad 2 a week ago and now firmly convinced I needed a cover under the "smart cover" (that falls off every few minutes (see my post under "smart cover." Ordered el-cheapo from eBay, and it was horrible. Even with screen wiped clean as could be, blown with air, I got bubbles and the screen looked awful.

Studied every post everywhere about screen protectors and decided 1. I needed someone to install it, and 2. Best reviews were for ghost armour and Zagg. BOTH look very hard to install.

Went to mall to get ghost armour, and they wanted 70.00 to install the "clear, low level" ( salesperson's words) body armour and 45 minutes (meaning I had to leave it with him (visions of his selling it to highest bidder dancing through my head). Man insisted I needed a 90.00 anti-glare with a patterned back. 90.00....really???? Then he told me it costs 10.00 to send in if anything goes wrong. Tried to get just front done, but sneer and distain for covering only the front from salesman so obnoxious that I walked away.

Went to small outlet Best Buy. They only sell Zagg and though I was very skeptical, the guy installs in 5 minutes. Zagg was 31.00, and installation, 15.00. I felt I had no other alternatives (didn't want to sink more money in low quality), so I bought it, and sat and watched the guy put it on. The guy pointed out that he has never ruined one, but if he did, it was his problem, not mine. Also, I can return and have cover reinstalled for free if I find bubbles.

The cover goes on wet (scares me to death to spray whatever he used all over the screen), and he told me not to use for 4-6 hours (typing this on 6 month old iPad 1). Left there very impressed with friendly salesman, but screen saver looked thick and "orange peel" like to me (though anything beats the one I tried to put on myself!) Got home a little while ago, and turned on screen and it is absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I am an artist, so very concerned when colors seemed altered by cover, but compared my iPad 1 screen with 2 and found the Zagg sharpened the colors. Plus, it is really strong. I feel much better about this cover. I will keep you up to date.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have the Zagg and had Best Buy install, I'm very satisfied with it and it was nice to have someone else sweat the installation.

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
correct me if im wrong as i dont know much about zagg here in uk, but dont they make 'easy install' versions of their cases?

anmanwar

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Zagg screen protect

That is good to know! I had asked apple store employee about a screen protector and he said apple does NOT recommend one because it could affect the touch response. I don't feel comfortable going around with an unprotected screen! I agree it's scary to have someone spray something wet on the iPad though!! I even saw a stand at a local mall with guys doing installs

Mav777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
youngun said:
correct me if im wrong as i dont know much about zagg here in uk, but dont they make 'easy install' versions of their cases?

This is on the Zagg Invisible shield screen protector, for some devices Zagg does make a shield that does go on dry, I have not seen this for the iPads though.

Duckfeet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why is everyone scared to do this?

Installing shields is no big deal if you simply follow the directions carefully. Hell, watch a YouTube video or two.:confused:

I installed a back cover in less than 10 minutes and it is flawless. My Ghost screen cover took a bit more time, for some reason.

I did not use my device for 24 hours, to allow any water to evaporate.

sbiondi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've ordered mine from zagg and can't wait for it to arrive!

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had 2 different Zagg invisible shields on my IP4 and hated it. The first one bubbled up around my defender case with defender's screen protector removed ( yes I left the unit off for 24 hrs) and I also had the same experience with the second screen protector. The film felt thick, ugly with the same orange peel look. BB installed both of them for me and I returned them.
I have had my iPad for over 7 months in a hand made leather case with no screen protector. I will never use Zagg again.

ljholland

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got a Zagg at Best Buy and tried to install it myself. It was a disaster. It just looked like a cloudy, bubbly mess. I showed the geek squad folks and they said they're impossible to install but one of their folks seems to have better luck.

I returned it.

jasmynsway

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought the invisible shield and am planning to return it. My screen gets smudges from my fingers, but I don't forsee any scratches since (once it arrives) I'll be traveling with the zaggmate for ipad 2. I've heard mixed reviews about all the screen protectors. I've had my iphone in my purse under all kinds of conditions and there are no scratches on the screen. I don't doubt it's a great product. I think it depends on who installs it and whether you think you need it.

Last edited:

Blackbelt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Zagg claims that their screen film is made of military grade materials. well my IP4 and IPAD are not military gears. I would suggest that ZAGG make the same strong film with less installation difficulties, no chemicals being sprayed on the screen, no wet , bumpy look, and no orange peel effect. There are better and less expensive options are available.

Kaps77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Reply to Munchkin52, this is terrible about the Ghost Armor kiosk that you went to. I got mine from a company owned site at the Southcenter Mall in Tukwila, WA. They charge $35 to install a screen only shield in 15 minutes and they only sell one kind of shield. It is the best!!! I bet you went to a franchise site and they have their "own" pricing.

Kaps

Kaps77

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I got my Ghost Armor protection for three reasons:
1) We have a grand-daughter who loves to touch things. Protection from sticky fingers, etc.
2) The glass display is a magnet for fingerprints and smudges. My protection film reduces these by about 90% and is easy to clean.
3) The glass display is almost a mirror with very high reflectivity. This film almost eliminates this entirely.

Obviously it won't protect my iPad from being dropped or from something being dropped on it. For that I got a Marware Eco-Vue folio case, which is also great.

Does this answer your "why" get film protection question?

Kaps

designer66

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had 2 different Zagg invisible shields on my IP4 and hated it. The first one bubbled up around my defender case with defender's screen protector removed ( yes I left the unit off for 24 hrs) and I also had the same experience with the second screen protector. The film felt thick, ugly with the same orange peel look. BB installed both of them for me and I returned them.
I have had my iPad for over 7 months in a hand made leather case with no screen protector. I will never use Zagg again.

I feel the same way you do. I don't want a piece of "not so cheap film" over the glass. When I buy furniture I don't cover it in plastic before I sit on it. :)

Most reactions

Latest posts