What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is data unlimited on ipad 3g?

Theguitarhero777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an ipad 3G and when ever I download movies or big apps I always put it on airplane mode and turn the wifi on so it just says iPad and then the wifi signal bars. I know the HTC Aria has unlimited data over wifi. Thank you in advance.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When the iPad first came out it had an unlimited data plan option with AT&T. If you activated that plan and never stopped it, you could have unlimited data.

AT&T discontinued that plan within a few months, and now only offers a 250MB plan for $14.99 and a 2GB plan for $25.00

To see what plan you have, go into Settings, choose Celluar Data, and turn it on. Now choose the View Account button. You'll need to sign in with your Apple ID (account email and password). Or maybe I just used the same ones and forgot.

You'll be able to see what your current (if any) data plan is and how much data you've used, and what your billing period is. You can also buy or change a plan from here.

If you have unlimited and you change to another plan, you will not be able to go back to unlimited. If you don't have unlimited, then you are stuck with the two plans available now, or nothing.

OP
T

Theguitarhero777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh thank you. I have been using the 2gb plan. I got the iPad too late for the unlimited plan :-/ So is the data unlimited over wifi if you don't have an unlimited plan? I just realized I phrased the subject wrong :-/

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no WiFi plan on or for the iPad.

This isn't any different from using Wifi with a laptop. If your home internet provider has a limit and you are using your iPad at home on that network, that's your limit. If you are using your iPad on Wifi elsewhere, then those limits, if any, apply.

Free hotspots like McDonalds or Starbucks, pretty much by definition do not have limits. Though the establishments are certainly free to kick you out if they think you are abusing the service. Any other roaming hotspot that you have to log into or pay for will state their prices and limits upfront.

xune

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Carriers like Virgin Mobile offer unlimited 3G data for $40/mo, month-to-month.

Clear offers unlimited 4G data for $45/mo, also month-to-month.

You can get unlimited 3G/4G for $55/mo with their spot+, also contract-free from Clear.

I stream over Pandora and Netflix regularly, and have to have unlimited data. I used to use AT&T's unlimited 3G for $30/mo, but the signal/service was too intermittent and slow for me to keep it. Both Virgin Mobile and Clear gave me stronger and faster service.

These are the only unlimited mobile data plans I know of in the US as of this posting. I plan on adding second unlimited data plan for my new iPad 2 when I get it.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
xune said:
Carriers like Virgin Mobile offer unlimited 3G data for $40/mo, month-to-month.

Clear offers unlimited 4G data for $45/mo, also month-to-month.

You can get unlimited 3G/4G for $55/mo with their spot+, also contract-free from Clear.

I stream over Pandora and Netflix regularly, and have to have unlimited data. I used to use AT&T's unlimited 3G for $30/mo, but the signal/service was too intermittent and slow for me to keep it. Both Virgin Mobile and Clear gave me stronger and faster service.

These are the only unlimited mobile data plans I know of in the US as of this posting. I plan on adding second unlimited data plan for my new iPad 2 when I get it.

Virgin Mobile is not really unlimited for $40 any more. I WAS using this as my primary Internet as there was nothing else available where I live other than dialup or satellite. However, last month they put a soft cap of 5 gig on it, with speeds throttled to barely faster than dialup for the remainder of the month once the 5 gig is reached. Luckily DSL became available here at almost the same time!

Most reactions

Latest posts