AT&T Unlimited 3G ipad plan is history!

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by Star56, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Star56

Star56 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  2. cherhall

cherhall iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ouch, not nice to do after just one month, and all the unlimited advertising. I went over 2 gig in my first month, so all I can say is, Im so glad I got mine when i did, and can keep my plan! I think they discovered they were wrong about most people not ever using the 3G, AT&T thought that it would all be wifi use.
  3. SWdp

SWdp iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  4. Star56

Star56 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    The real winners are now the JB/mifi users. You can keep the unlimited data plan on your iPhone (since you will not be officially tethering) and have all the 3G you want on your iPad.
  5. mcbrew

mcbrew iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm torn... in the first month of usage, I didn't even rack up 900 megs on 3G. I use my iPad mostly at home and at work, where I have wifi. Mostly, the 3G is used in my car, and I am obviously not streaming videos while I'm driving. However, I often use the map program as I am driving... even if I don't need it. It is fun to play with at stoplights. I also frequently stream radio programs over 3G while driving.

With my type of usage, I'd find it pretty hard to reach 2gb in a month. I guess there are people who stream a lot of videos from non-wifi locations.

Anyway, I am torn between downgrading to the $25/2gb and saving $60 a year, or keeping the unlimited plan just in case. The only time I couls imagine going over my 2gb is if I was taking a road trip and my wife was watching movies in the car. She usually wants to watch the scenery, though (something a lot of today's kids never get to see).
  6. thehatguy

thehatguy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Never used the 3G yet on my iPad.

Wonder what happens after 6/7/10 if it still hasn't been activated.

Think I'll be grand-fathered or will they somehow change me to the newer rates?

John
  7. cherhall

cherhall iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Since you haven't activated, I'm sure they would charge the new rate...AT&T doesn't even know you have it yet remember?

As for tethering, I'm not jail broken, but I tether my iPhone, by keeping 3.0 installed. I'm wondering though, with tethering being legit soon, will they stop those who are doing it without paying or maybe just automatically add that $20 a month?? And since I have unlimited plan would I have to switch to their new pricing to tether legit?

I'm sure they can tell if it's being used to tether, and these changes bring a lot to ponder. Been considering dropping iPhones totally, since it's only used for calls/texts now....so now I have even more to think about.
  8. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    crap! I thought that rate was too good to be true. If you think about it, the iPad has the potential to be the highest data consuming device on their network. If you make use of wifi where you can, 2GB probably wont be an issue for most people though.
  9. Matth3w

Matth3w iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Another reason AT&T sucks. So glad I didn't waste money on the 3G version.
  10. candafilm

candafilm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    They couldn't have waited until July 1st or something? I'm going to get my 3G iPad right after this goes into effect. I guess I'll be using Wifi more than I thought.
  11. Wolffmann34

Wolffmann34 iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Verizon did this a while back with all their cell cards, without a very good notification. They originally were all unlimited and they dropped them down to 5gb. I had to call them to correct the exorbitant charges for going over 5gb. They didn't even grandfather people in and I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T after a while forced everyone to switch to the new plans.

It's obvious they didn't expect people to be using so much data, I'm sure it is the video streaming that is killing them, that is what always put me over the top on my Verizon cell card.
  12. BassGear

BassGear iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WOW crazy! I setup the unlimted a few weeks ago because of a long road trip, I haven't used the 3G much since but I'm glad I'm locked in the unlimited now! :D
  13. candafilm

candafilm iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is probably a dumb question, but is there any way to lock in the unlimited plan before I get my iPad?

I don't mind paying an extra week if it means I'll be locked into the unlimited plan.
  14. Wolffmann34

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Check out this news - seems funny that news of Verizon getting the iPad comes at the same time as AT&T changes their plans.

According to a highly placed source of ours, Verizon Wireless is currently testing Apple iPad devices on their network. We have been told that the model they are testing is a CDMA-compatible device, and while our source mentioned LTE in some capacity (possibly another model), we haven't been able to independently confirm that part of it.
  15. beingV

beingV iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you buy before June 7th? Seems the new capped plans don't taken affect until then.
  16. thehatguy

thehatguy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Info. from my contact at AT&T.

Key Points to Know
    · The monthly charge for enterprise Smartphone plans has been reduced to $40 for 2GB for new service activations
    o Currently 98% of AT&T Smartphone subscribers use less than 2GB of data per month on average
    · There is a new low entry price for personal Smartphone subscribers: $15 for 200 MBs
    · Existing unlimited Smartphone plans will not be available for new customers.

· Existing Smartphone subscribers can keep their current $30, $40, or $45 unlimited data plans, or switch to a new plan without penalty or contract extension. Subscribers moving away from an unlimited Smartphone plan will not be able to return to an unlimited plan.
    · Existing Smartphone unlimited subscribers can upgrade their devices and keep their unlimited plans. This includes upgrades which involve device operating system changes (e.g. Blackberry to iPhone or vice versa).
    · Except as noted above, all other AT&T voice, messaging and data plans (for laptops, feature phones, and quick messaging devices) will remain unchanged.
    · Tethering for iPhone customers will be available when Apple releases OS 4.0 this summer

· DataPro
    Designed for people who regularly download files or use other high bandwidth business applications. Customers have enough data (2 GB) to:
    § Send / receive 10,000 single page text emails
    § Send / receive 1,500 emails with a document attached
    § Browse 4,000 Web pages
    § Download/ upload 500 photos and stream 200 – 1 minute video clips
    § Usage above the 2GB bucket is charged $10 per 1 GB

· Tethering Plan:
    Available for an additional $20 per month for Smartphone customers who choose the DataPro plan (DataPro Enterprise w/Tethering bills at $60/month plus applicable taxes/fees)
    Existing tethering customers can keep their current tethering plan as long as they keep their current data plan and don’t switch to iPhone.

· DataPlus
    Designed for people who primarily surf the web, send email, and use social networking apps. Customers have enough data (200 MB) to:
    § Send 1,000 single-page, text-based emails
    § 150 emails with a document attached
    § Browse 400 web pages
    § Download 50 photos
    § Stream 20 1 minute video clips.
    § Usage above the 200 MB bucket is charged $15 per 200 MB.

17. imdakine1

imdakine1 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think what sucks the most is that being grandfathered in only allows you to keep the unlimited plan if you don't cancel it at all... Thus the no-contract concept is truly not a no-contract if you want the unlimited data plan.

AT&T should actually allow anyone grandfathered in the ability to switch to all plans including the unlimited option...

This is sneaky! Anyone wanting the unlimited plan will not be forced to keep it and not cancel. Thus iPad unlimited data = contract only...
  18. cherhall

cherhall iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    And did anyone else happen to notice that AT&T raised their early termination fees just a week or two before this announcement? Like they were planning in advance to get more money from the people who would opt out of their contracts due to theses changes.
  19. figmo10

figmo10 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Mark my words: Those of us who still have it now won't have it for long.
    · DataPro
    Designed for people who regularly download files or use other high bandwidth business applications. Customers have enough data (2 GB) to:
    § Send / receive 10,000 single page text emails
    § Send / receive 1,500 emails with a document attached
    § Browse 4,000 Web pages
    § Download/ upload 500 photos and stream 200 – 1 minute video clips
    § Usage above the 2GB bucket is charged $10 per 1 GB
    Not a word about video use, is there?
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
  20. Wolffmann34

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I agree that the unlimited will go away - but it does say "stream 200 - 1 minute video clips"

Not that 200 minutes would last long --- (well about 200 minutes actually)