What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G or WIFI? Which of the two is working right now?

fdgboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help,

What about the opposite problem?

I was recently at a hotel, but my ipad wanted to connect to their pay to use wifi service. I couldn't get my ipad to use my 3g plan. I was stuck on the hotel's sign up page to pay for their wifi. How do I work around this problem?

As my luck would have it, a similar problem at home, we lost our internet connection via our wireless router. None of our home computers would connect to the internet. But my ipad again would not connect to the internet via my 3g plan (which I did check and is only used up by a third), it only gave a message of "unable to connect" or something like that.

Thanks

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Help,

What about the opposite problem?

I was recently at a hotel, but my ipad wanted to connect to their pay to use wifi service. I couldn't get my ipad to use my 3g plan. I was stuck on the hotel's sign up page to pay for their wifi. How do I work around this problem?

As my luck would have it, a similar problem at home, we lost our internet connection via our wireless router. None of our home computers would connect to the internet. But my ipad again would not connect to the internet via my 3g plan (which I did check and is only used up by a third), it only gave a message of "unable to connect" or something like that.

Thanks

In Settings, turn off your Wi-Fi and turn on your Cellular Data. They're on two separate toggles on the Settings list. (Cellular Data is 3G.)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had one and got rid of it. This is very simple. When you are working in an area that has wifi and you do NOT want to use 3G. Go to Settings, Airplane Mode, On. Turning airplane mode ON is the same as doing it for your phone when you are on a plane. This turns off your 3G or subscribed to data plan. Then - go to Settings, Wifi, On, then check the network you want to connect to.
I did this and it worked great for me. So 3G = Airplane Mode OFF and Wifi Off
Wifi and no 3G = Airplane Mode On, Wifi On

I just turn off Cellular Data if I don't want 3G.

fdgboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In Settings, turn off your Wi-Fi and turn on your Cellular Data. They're on two separate toggles on the Settings list. (Cellular Data is 3G.)

Thanks, that does the trick!

Now..., can you help me out with my wireless router problems at home?
;-)

Most reactions