3G iPad? Did you buy 3G data?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Ominx, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Ominx

Ominx
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    There are a number of reasons to get a 3G iPad over a Wifi only version. Obviously the option to buy 3G data when needed is a huge advantage, but the GPS antenna is also an attractive addition.

So I ask this... how many of you have a 3G iPad without cellular data? Also, now that AT&T will eliminate the $30 Unlimited data plan on June 7, are any USA users more likely to sign up now before the option disappears?

2. Hoppesangen

Hoppesangen
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I signed up now before the option disappeared :)

3. Ominx

Ominx
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Nice! I did as well. I was going to wait a while before signing up for the $30 iPad 3G plan but once I completely analyzed my iPhone usage and the pricing change, I realized I will be able to downgrade both my wife's and I iPhone plans to $15/month ea. which will essentially save me $30 which can go towards the Unlimited iPad plan. I'm happy!

4. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    We have a few 64GB + 3Gs but haven't had the need to take them out of the office yet. So the data plan hasn't been activated. A better option is to tether to your phone if you can.

5. Sonny Burnett

Sonny Burnett
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    That is quite a large signature that you have there.

6. Ominx

Ominx
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I thought about this too, but in my case downgrading 2 iPhones to the $15 plan and adding the now almost obsolete $30 Unlimited iPad plan ;) is the same cost as tethering and a a lot more convenient. Now if you are tethering multiple devices that is another story.

#6 Ominx, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  7. Star56

Star56
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I activated my 3G despite having tethering available. I like to stream audio on my iphone and then use the unused 3G stream on the ipad for various other uses. Yeah I know...I am a geek :) I will keep unlimited on both devices as long as AT&T lets me!

8. Edlex

Edlex
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I got the unlimited data right at the 3G launch. I'm planning to get my wife a 3G later this month but she will benefit from the cheaper plan since we won't need 2 3G's with unlimited access. I will only sign her up as neeeded and it will be sporadic.

9. tail24

tail24
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I didn't for first couple weeks because I'm almost always in a wifi area but fiancée wanted to shop while on a 3 hr ride so I added it and now will test for 2 months to see how much data I use.

10. adamh10

adamh10
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I purchased 3G data even though I'm almost always in wifi areas just because I need to know that I am always connected just in case should the need arise.

I also use the GPS functions quite often with the iNavX application, which I use while boating with charts.