AT&T Unlimited 3G ipad plan is history!

Discussion in 'iPad Carriers' started by Star56, Jun 2, 2010.

1. figmo10

figmo10
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, rather upset and didn't see straight. By the way, I doubt that the time cited would actually last through an entire movie.

2. Wolffmann34

Wolffmann34
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Actually I watched a lot of sling box video using my Verizon cell card before the 5gb cap was enacted and I mean hours and hours of streaming video and I really didn't go that far over 5gb.

3. epb

epb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Why would anyone do that? The changes don't apply to current users, so there's no reason to leave your old plan before your contract is up. And iPad users don't have a contract, so there's no termination fee.

4. cherhall

cherhall
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I'm not referring to iPad users necessarily. And I have read many comments from people on other sites, saying they will leave AT&T because of the changes.

You're correct though that as a current iPhone and iPad user, it's not going to affect me other than the tethering. You can only get the tethering with the NEW plans, so to tether, I'd be giving up my unlimited. A lot of people want tethering, and losing the unlimited to get it, isn't going to set well.

5. figmo10

figmo10
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The grandfathered Ipad unlimited data plan won't be around long anyway.

6. epb

epb
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    We'll see. AT&T might leave the old UPlan users alone if there's a high attrition rate due to the factors Cherhall mentioned.

7. Wolffmann34

Wolffmann34
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    That would be nice if they just left the plans in place, but I bet right now there is a large amount of 3G users signing up for the unlimited plan. If I had a 3G I would be all over it.

Of course another thing to look at here is that these plans may be changing due to the impending implementation of 4G, if 4G is truly 10X the speed of 3G, then a person could blast past 5GB in no time, so if they throttle the plans back now they can maybe protect their outdated network a little longer.

8. ipadfanatic

ipadfanatic
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    In my opinion it has nothing to do with so called future 4G service. 4G is just WiMax dressed up with another name.

AT&T did not have an emergency meeting a few days ago prompting plan changes, this was in the works before the iPad was announced.

9. GailLA

GailLA
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I absolutely agree. AT&T planned this all along.

I also believe that AT&T blindsided Apple on this. I know some believe that Apple colluded on it, but I don't. I think if Apple had known they would have advertised the new plans upfront. This bait and switch does nothing for Apple at all.

What angers me is not the new plan for the iPad as much as the sudden change a little more than a month after introduction. I currently have unlimited for the iPad, but I can't afford to keep it up and had always planned to start and stop it at will. At least AT&T isn't forcing us onto contracts for iPad service, YET. After next month I'm quitting it for a couple of months because I won't be traveling and have very poor 3G coverage at home.

10. GailLA

GailLA
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    P.S. One more thought. How long do you think it will be until the 2 GB plans for the iPad are back up to $30? I think they only dropped it down to $25 because if they hadn't, the resulting storm would have made hurricane Katrina look small.