What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPadForums.net Members - Suggest an iPad App

iDan

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Found a cool and useful iPad App? Then be sure to let other members of iPadForums.net about it!

With the list of dedicated iPad Apps growing, we thought we would sticky a thread with discussions and recommendations of worth while apps.

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
Great iPad apps!!

WSJ.app - Great app for the free access to Wall Street Journal, for the news junkie!
WeatherBug.app - Awesome open source weather.
iWork suite - Touch your documents in a new and special way.
Marvel.app - Best comic reader bar none. If I could only import other cbr and cbz files.
Early Edition.app - RSS news reader shows great promise, but still needs lots of refinement to make it useful (like leveraging OPML settings from Google Reader).
iBook.app - Of course if you want to read ANY books. Best part is you can slide your own ePub files right in and start reading.
Labyrinth HD Lite.app - Fantastic ball rolling game.
Magic Piano.app - Love the random anonymous duet feature!!
Holy Bible.app and Logos.app - To keep in touch with the Messiah! :)

Piko

Road Warrior

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.nomadz.net
I'd like to find a good Weather app but I just don't think that WeatherBugg cuts it. First of all, it's European coverage is terrible - so, I expect that the people that love it live in America. Secondly, it's interface is really badly designed. It doesn't tell me what it's doing (when it's fetching data), so I don't know if the app has hung or not... it doesn't have any obvious 'click here' for more info buttons/icons, etc.
Overall, I find it a very amateur effort... IMHO

BParis

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone used ezDesktop, Wyse PocketCloud Remote or Jump Desktop to access windows based programs on corporate network?

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
I'd like to find a good Weather app but I just don't think that WeatherBugg cuts it. First of all, it's European coverage is terrible - so, I expect that the people that love it live in America. Secondly, it's interface is really badly designed. It doesn't tell me what it's doing (when it's fetching data), so I don't know if the app has hung or not... it doesn't have any obvious 'click here' for more info buttons/icons, etc.
Overall, I find it a very amateur effort... IMHO

If you need more weather coverage in your area, you should install your own Personal Weather Station and encourage others in your area to do so as well:

Weather Underground Personal Weather Station Guidelines

Leaving out network activity indicators is kind of the Mac way. Keeps the UI clean and simple. Plastering the screen with all kind of processing info is more the Windows way of doing things.

Piko

Road Warrior

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.nomadz.net
Piko,
Thanks for the feedback and your suggestion.

I think you are being mischievous with your Mac-Windows comment. Giving user feedback is not a 'Mac' vs. 'Windows' thing. Providing feedback is good design, period. If an app appears to be hung but is, in fact, doing something - then the lack of feedback to the user is poor design.

I have worked on many websites, new media projects and games, etc. If you watch a user use something, they will get easily confused and frustrated if they don't know what to do next - i.e. a confusing interface and lack of feedback. 9 times out of 10, they will not take the time to figure out what's going on and they will quit.

This is my point in regards to WeatherBug. It looks to me like it isn't working, so I stopped using it.

On the Mac desktop, you see a spinning colour wheel to demonstrate that the computer is 'busy'. On the iPad and iPhone, there are spinning network indicators to tell you it is 'fetching data'. Some apps put a spinning motif in the middle of their app, when it is busy working. This is good design practice.

'Plastering the screen' is clutter on any platform. The iPhone had such small screen real-estate that 'plastering it' would be very difficult. The iPad does not... so it remains to be seen if this discipline will be adhered to. Not all app developers adhere to the same model of UI design, so this will be interesting to watch. European developers often do things differently than their American colleagues. Look at the BBC, Guardian and FT apps to see what I mean. All three are in the news business but they have very different ideas about how to present the news and do not follow a common display model.

MSaxatilus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd like to see an app that would sync my Blackberry calender/contacts to my iPad via Bluetooth.

MSax

doreenh

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to see an app for Tropical Fish, showing photos and info etc.

USBill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Cardshark
A great collection of card games, like Spades, and bunches of solitaire games, like Freecell, Pyramid, and Klondike. The iPhone version looked great in x2 mode and now that it's a dual mode app it looks even better.

Dragging the cards around the screen makes you feel like you're and extra in Minority Report.

MSaxatilus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSaxatilus
I'd like to see an app that would sync my Blackberry calender/contacts to my iPad via Bluetooth.

MSax

Wouldn't that require a time machine?! :p

Sorry, couldn't resist... :)

Piko

That's hillarious!!! Believe me if my Company didn't provide me the phone, I wouldn't own a BB.

MSax

lilman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ComicZeal - Best comic/manga reader, and the dev implements feature requests
iCabMobile - real tabs + download any file + in page search = Safari replaced
Goodreader - Best pdf reader, and only $.99
ArtStudio - Amazing amount of image editing functionality, and only $.99
PhotoPad - Good for quick cropping images, and its free
LogMeIn - Remote control Windows
VNC Viewer - Remote control Linux (and basically any os)
DataVault - Great security app, and wifi syncs with desktop client
Ragdoll Blaster 2, A4ER, Angry Birds, Paper Toss, Wurdle - Awesome iPhone games
Mirror's Edge, NOVA HD - Awesome iPad games (although ME is a bit overpriced)

pik0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.TheDailyMapper.com
Cardshark
A great collection of card games, like Spades, and bunches of solitaire games, like Freecell, Pyramid, and Klondike. The iPhone version looked great in x2 mode and now that it's a dual mode app it looks even better.

Dragging the cards around the screen makes you feel like you're and extra in Minority Report.

Check out Corkulous it's much more closely like MR! You get a large virtual cork board that you can use to hang and organize a large volume pics, docs, notes, labels and whatnot.

Piko

Most reactions

Latest posts