What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

All About Music And Recording

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thought I'd try a thread dedicated to music apps and recording on the iPad. Amplitude, GarageBand Irig and what all you musicians out there do with them.

I know there are a few of us here, so call this a thread for discussion on all iPad related music topics!

I am putting together a setup with Amplitube myself at the moment, so all information, hints and tips would be most welcome!

Jeff

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great idea, Jeff. There have been several iPad music-related posts over the last few weeks since the release of the iPad2 and it would be good to have a thread in which they can stay together.

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
yay, you did it, let's hope you get loads of members with similar interests. Update every so often with any news or new apps discussions.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Will do, should have said that this is for ALL musicians, whatever your instrument, age or level of interest......Not just for pro's

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
Great idea, Jeff. There have been several iPad music-related posts over the last few weeks since the release of the iPad2 and it would be good to have a thread in which they can stay together.

Tim

It was Hayles66 she made me do it :) be interesting to see how it goes!

Jeff

Shaunyshaun1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all!

First post etc etc!

I play guitar in a local band and plan to get irig and amplitube once my pad arrives (supposed to be tomorrow).

Can you record in amplitude? Would be ideal for me to be able to record simple guitar ideas for new songs and things!

Thanks

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Amplitude is full of inbuilt options and in-app purchases to enable the budding musician to do basically whatever he or she wishes (including a multi track recording facility). Yup, in-app purchases; I know this is a dirty word to a lot of people, but personally I've nothing wrong with the idea, especially in such a highly polish pro piece of kitt such as this.

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can, since you are going to be ahead of me with your kit, keep us posted! A question: I was just on Amazon looking at the kit, and they show a mic. As well. I use Rode NTC pro mica, but these need phantom power. Any ideas on how I can get them to work with Amplitube? I don't want to buy that cheap mic.

Cables for guitars and bass, I will need and the unit itself. I play a Strat, a Fender precision pro bass, Yamaha Compass Acoustic electric 12 string, and would also like to use my Roland EXR 5 keyboard.

Phew, this may take some setting up :)

Jeff

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
Amplitude is full of inbuilt options and in-app purchases to enable the budding musician to do basically whatever he or she wishes (including a multi track recording facility). Yup, in-app purchases; I know this is a dirty word to a lot of people, but personally I've nothing wrong with the idea, especially in such a highly polish pro piece of kitt such as this.

Ah, but will it stack up against Cubase, and my 64 track Roland? Can't wait to find out.

Jeff

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Aye, there are numerous options and combinations of getting rigs to work, take time to browse amplitudes web site. It's fantastic.
You can also purchase a specially made quality iPad microphone there ;)

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sjleworthy said:
Aye, there are numerous options and combinations of getting rigs to work, take time to browse amplitudes web site. It's fantastic.
You can also purchase a specially made quality iPad microphone there ;)

I think I can use my Rode mics. Really can't see the other ones stacking up, but I have a cunning plan :)

Jeff

OP
I

ipfuser55

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will catch you all tomorrow, need to catch up with a few calls that I've been letting the answering service pick up all day :) . No wonder it says iPad junkie next to my name!

Keep the ideas flowing!

Jeff

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I've used Amplitube on my ipodtouch on stage before now for basic effects to my guitar, rigged up directly to the p.a. System in the hall. Brilliant it was. Trouble was the levels were controlled by a young spotty oink the other end of the room in his control box. Didn't have a clue. Wish I'd have done it myself directly through my amp.

Shaunyshaun1234

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Vintage90 said:
You can, since you are going to be ahead of me with your kit, keep us posted! A question: I was just on Amazon looking at the kit, and they show a mic. As well. I use Rode NTC pro mica, but these need phantom power. Any ideas on how I can get them to work with Amplitube? I don't want to buy that cheap mic.

Cables for guitars and bass, I will need and the unit itself. I play a Strat, a Fender precision pro bass, Yamaha Compass Acoustic electric 12 string, and would also like to use my Roland EXR 5 keyboard.

Phew, this may take some setting up :)

Jeff

Behringer do a phantom power box that you plug into the mains and this box provides the phantom power to the mic!

I'm sure it also has other outputs rather than just xlr so you could plug the mic into the box then use a guitar cable to plug into irig!

Don't quote me on this though as I'm only assuming! Although behringer definitely make a phantom power box!

incapete

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can use the camera connection kit to plug a USB mic (or usb midi keyboards) into the ipad which opens up loads more options... I'm hoping to try it with an avid pre-amp with USB outputs so I can use my existing mics. Or maybe something like the Blue icicle coupled with a battery powered phantom source.

There's also a very cool new adaptor product from Apogee which is essentially a pro version of the irig (although it uses the dock connector instead of the headphone/mic socket) - I'll dig out a link if I can.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts