What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad wifi sync

rwg12358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ones the iPad wifi sync work with wndows xp? I have new ios5 on ipad2 and iPhone 4 and new iTunes on pc but sync over wifi isn't working? Any suggestions? Thanks

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have iOS5 then you should be synching wirelessly and there's no need for iTunes any longer.

Tim

OP
rwg12358

rwg12358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The "sync with wifi" button under settings...general is always grayed out and not active in both devices. Neither iPad or iPhone shows up in device list of iTunes unless they are connected with USB cable.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But with iOS5 the need to sync with your PC is gone forever. One of the key features of iOS5 is iCloud, whereby all your iDevices sync wirelessly without the need for any PC.

Tim

OP
rwg12358

rwg12358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I get that and it is doing that through iCloud. Guess old habits are hard to break.

But I still want to know why I can't get the sync thru wifi button to be active. Just seems like that should be working as well. Is it a win xp issue?

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You have to connect it via cable (one more time) to enable the wifi sync option in itunes. Once enabled this will 'pair' the ipad to your itunes, and wifi sync should then work.

Wifi sync is still done to your itunes library on your PC, hence the need to pair. Cloud sync is done to the cloud (obviously), they are two separate things.

OP
rwg12358

rwg12358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have enabled wifi sync in iTunes with iPad connected thru cable, and it still doesn't see the iPad when I unplug the cable.

OP
rwg12358

rwg12358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope. Even on charger it doesn't sync thru wifi.

frank12081

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi All on this thread, I have downloaded OS5 today, and am having trouble in the clouds. I have set my iPad 2 to sync wirelessly but it doesn't seem to be happening. I have reconnected the cable to my PC, also on XP, and it sync'ed my new songs ok. Still wondering like rwg12358, why the songs don't arrive wirelessly. I will keep trying, and keep checking on here for the solution. if I find it, I will post it. Thanks to all you who are helping with this thread.

frank12081

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In reply to Tim, if we don't use iTunes to sync wirelessly, where do we store the songs on the PC? I've been downloading them into iTunes, surely they won't just transfer from a folder on the hard drive.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
You can get them direct from the itunes app (under purchases), so you can go PC free if you want. Personally I'm backing up both to the Pc via wifi and icloud so best of both.

iDaryl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I experienced similar symptoms, but only because I have a 4G LTE hotspot in addition to my Comcast Internet service. I came home from work and forgot to turn off the hotspot. My iPad and iPhone were still connected to it. When I opened my MacBook and tried to sync, the devices weren't visible. All your Apple gear that syncs with iTunes must be on the WiFi access point. The iCloud functionality works via the Internet, so this doesn't apply to that.

Hope this helps! (if you're as silly as me that is! Lol!)

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Could someone please explain the issue of syncing in somewhat elementary terms for an old-timer?

The memory allotment on the cloud is no where near to being enough for a complete sync. I assume there is no need to back up the apps, as one can download them at will from the app store. So---it is apparently "data" that needs to be backed up. I have turned on the switch in the "settings" app for "documents and data."

But how does the iPad know what is "data and documents". For example, all my pdf files in Good Reader should certainly be data---as well as all my videos. But I have videos in third party apps as well as in the iPad native Video app.

And then there is "wi-fi sync.". If I sync through the cloud, do I need to sync through my wi-fi?

As my internet service isn't all that great, I am reluctant to rely on the cloud.

Can anyone clarify?

Thanks.

matt5968

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem. I enabled wifi sync on I tunes. But wifi sync is frayed out on the I pad..... I'm using iPad 1....

Could it be another feature disabled on iPad 1. Like gestures??? Please
Help. Alex

Most reactions

Latest posts