WiFi Sync

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by Wizee, Oct 13, 2011.

1. deaconwc

deaconwc
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I came home yesterday and "Sync Now" was greyed out on both iPad and iPhone. No matter what I did I couldn't get them to show up in iTunes via wifi. As I thought about my configuration, I realized that I have my photos on an external HD. The HD is one of those that goes to sleep and there is sometimes a lag when it wakes up. I moved the pictures folder to the local machine and directed iTunes to this new location. This change seems to have resolved the wifi connection issue.
    Hoping this helps someone else.

2. GoPackGo

GoPackGo
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I haven't tried wifi sync yet.. Kinda scared it will try to sync the 80gb of music or something, but I'm definitely going to try it soon.

3. quicky

quicky
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I would love to know why "Sync with this iPhone over WiFi" is not checked by default in iTunes... that was the problem for me.

Thanks to the guy who mentioned Open iTunes when [...].

Cheers

4. jrstar7171

jrstar7171
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I do also.

5. deaconwc

deaconwc
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The wifi sync has been driving me crazy (and it is a relatively short drive)!! Every time I think I have a solution, I post it and then the next day it doesn't work! I finally narrowed it to my router. Initially, I was rebooting the Win7 machine, powering off the iDevices and rebooting the router to get a connection. I finally decided to focus on one thing and choose the router (WRT610N Linksys) and the majority of the times I rebooted it I had a wifi connection for the iPad and iPhone.
    Tonight I did a google search using: WRT610N ipad sync. Sure enough there is an old section in the blog about connectivity issues with Bonjour. It suggested to enable multicasting in the router firewall setting and that seems to be the ticket. Not sure if this works with any other brand but it might be worth a try.
    Here is the link WRT610N incompatible with Bonjour - Cisco Home Community
    I've closed and reopened iTunes a couple times and have had a wifi connection to both iDevices each time which was not the case prior to this. Hope it is the same in the morning and hope this helps someone else!!

6. Ramdog

Ramdog
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    This exact thing happened to me. Did you ever get it to sync again over wifi? If so what did you do? I have been struggling with this for several weeks now. It worked great when it worked! Thanks for any pointers.

7. sjleworthy

sjleworthy
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Haven't tried (and won't either) on my windows machine, but wireless syncing 'just works' like a dream on my mac. It's second nature automatically.
    It just requires a fresh boot from the iPad when the 2 are bought together.

8. Hayles66

Hayles66
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    Well, I've had problems and I'm restoring iPad again! Maybe router, maybe windows vista rubbish etc... It's brilliant when it works, rubbish when it doesn't. All I wanted was to add Xmas songs to my iPad. Is that so very hard for it to understand? It won't sync, full stop.

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

9. kspector

kspector
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It is really weird. Sometimes it works for a while, then it stops. Not sure what is happening.

10. blucente

blucente
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Mines been working fine since the initial 5.0 upgrade but since the 5.0.1 it appears to take much longer to sync. Already tried all the fixes ie router reset, iPad reset ect... Just turned it off and sync and back up the old fashion way. Problem solved!