What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad wifi sync

bellemead

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could it be that both devices have to be connected to the same router? My desktops are on a wired connection and the WiFi devices including my iPad 1 and 2 connect to a WiFi router access point which is plugged into the wired router. As soon as I disconnect my iPad it is deleted from iTunes the same way that others have described as if there is no network connection between the iPads and the desktop. Both routers are on the same subnet (192.168.0.xxx) so the should communicate but not if they both must be on WiFi.

Last edited:

freddykruegs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I found a suggestion that said to uninstall iTunes and then re-install. I did this and both my iPad and itouch were "found" by iTunes and immediately started syncing. Both were attached to a charger.

BlackiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm running Windows 7 so I can't help if it is indeed an XP issue, but as DefBref said, once you click on the 'Sync with this iPad over Wi-Fi' check box in the iTunes Summary tab of your iPad when it is plugged in to your PC, then click on 'Sync', you should then be able to unplug your iPad and it will still appear in the left pane of iTunes, and in Settings -> General ->iTunes Wi-Fi Sync on the iPad the 'Sync Now' button should be enabled. If it isn't, try the usual reset of your iPad and restart your PC, then check/uncheck the check box in iTunes and see if it'll take.

BlackiPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could it be that both devices have to be connected to the same router? My desktops are on a wired connection and the WiFi devices including my iPad 1 and 2 connect to a WiFi router access point which is plugged into the wired router. As soon as I disconnect my iPad it is deleted from iTunes the same way that others have described as if there is no network connection between the iPads and the desktop. Both routers are on the same subnet (192.168.0.xxx) so the should communicate but not if they both must be on WiFi.

bellemead
I'm no expert on routers but I have a primary wireless router and a wireless range extender that wirelessly connects to the primary wireless routers SSID, but has a different SSID. I can wirelessly sync to my laptop PC even when the PC is connected to the primary wireless router and my iPad is connected to the wireless range extender.

OP
rwg12358

rwg12358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've tried all the suggestions, including a restore of mi ipad2 with no luck.. The Sync Now button is still grayed out and it is looking for a network named "HOME" which isn't the name of my network. I can connect to my network, recognized by the correct name, with the iPad to do everything except sync with iTunes :-(

sbeattie2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In order to wirelessly sync your iPad 2 and iPhone 4 to iTunes - you first have to attach your devices (via USB cable) to your computer containing your iTunes library - the one with which you are trying to sync - just as you always had to do in the past to sync your devices. Once your device is attached (you will repeat this for both the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2) - double click the device icon in the left pane of the iTunes window - this will bring up the sync options. On the first page of the sync options - scroll down to the Options section - you will see a check box called Sync with this iPad (iPhone) over WiFi. Make sure this box is check. After checking the box - look in the lower right corner of the screen and click the Apply button. The button will then change to a Sync button. Once the Sync button appears - click the Sync button to Sync your iPad / iPhone one more time. When the Sync completes - you will be able to remove your iPhone or iPad. Note - the mobile device is now wireless communicating with iTunes - you will continue to see the Eject button next to your device under devices - even after you disconnect it. You can optionally "eject" your device - and it will reconnect during a future sync attempt.

On your Device - Click Settings / General / iTune Wi-Fi Sync. The Sync Now button should be available - and not grayed out. If it is grayed out - wait a minute or so and it should appear. You "must" have iTune "open" or minimized on the PC or Mac to which you are trying to sync. Your computer cannot be sleeping when you are trying to sync wireless. (On a Mac - the sync may wake the Mac from Sleep - but it will not open iTunes if iTunes was not already open.

If you see a message that says "Sync will resume when XXXXXXX becomes available" - this means that iTunes is not running and needs to be opened.

When you sync over WiFi - this has nothing to do with iCloud. This is the same sync that you were previously performing via USB cable - the only difference is that you no longer have to physically connect your device to your iTunes computer - you simply ensure that iTunes is open on the computer and then press the sync button on each of your devices when you want to sync. As far as the sync being "automatic" (such as the way the iCloud backup is automatic) - I am not seeing that it syncs automatically - you have to press the sync button.

Let me know if this helps.

Scott

OP
rwg12358

rwg12358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Scott
I had already done that, but I did it again following what you said. As soon as I disconnect the device from the pc (unplug the usb cable) the device name disappears from the left side bar. I leave it plugged in to power supply and it never reappears.

Because it is looking for a network named "HOME" which is not my network I'm thinking that is the problem. If anyone knows how to get it to look for the right network I sure would appreciate that help. I can connect to my wifi network using the normal wifi connection just fine.

sbeattie2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to make sure that your iTunes Store account id on the computer matches the "Store" account that is configured on the mobile device. If you have more than one "apple id" such as if you were a MobileMe user and are now using your MobileMe id for iCloud and previously had a separate Apple Id that you were using for the app store and/or iTunes - your mobile device may be getting confused between the two. If you have two apple ids - make sure that iCloud (on the device) is set to use your iCloud id - and that the Store setting (on the device) is set to use the same id as your iTunes computer is using.

sbeattie2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you completely reboot the device (hold down lock button and home button simultaneously) continue holding past when the power off slider appears - until the apple logo appears - which indicates a complete reboot? Also - I am assuming that your wireless access point is in the same "subnet" as all of your other devices...example. 192.168.1.x (all devices in that subnet would have ip addresses starting with 192.168.1.)

Also - you aren't connecting to a an access point that has been enabled to provide "guest" access - since that would give internet access to devices - but no visibility to any computers or other devices on your local network.

One more thing - any chance that you have a firewall blocking the device from accessing your iTunes computer - specially the Windows Firewall. If that is on - have you tried turning it off - to see if it makes a difference?

Last edited:
OP
rwg12358

rwg12358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sbeattie2 said:
Did you completely reboot the device (hold down lock button and home button simultaneously) continue holding past when the power off slider appears - until the apple logo appears - which indicates a complete reboot? Also - I am assuming that your wireless access point is in the same "subnet" as all of your other devices...example. 192.168.1.x (all devices in that subnet would have ip addresses starting with 192.168.1.)

Also - you aren't connecting to a an access point that has been enabled to provide "guest" access - since that would give internet access to devices - but no visibility to any computers or other devices on your local network.

One more thing - any chance that you have a firewall blocking the device from accessing your iTunes computer - specially the Windows Firewall. If that is on - have you tried turning it off - to see if it makes a difference?

I did the rest - no luck
Ip addresses are 192.168.1.x
Not an access point, connecting to router
Tested with firewall disabled and no change. Even with firewall on I can use Air mouse from ipad2 or iphone4.

I'm stumped. I have win xp sp3 running on my pc.

Heaviside

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In order to wirelessly sync your iPad 2 and iPhone 4 to iTunes - you first have to attach your devices (via USB cable) to your computer containing your iTunes library - the one with which you are trying to sync - just as you always had to do in the past to sync your devices. Once your device is attached (you will repeat this for both the iPhone 4 and the iPad 2) - double click the device icon in the left pane of the iTunes window - this will bring up the sync options. On the first page of the sync options - scroll down to the Options section - you will see a check box called Sync with this iPad (iPhone) over WiFi. Make sure this box is check. After checking the box - look in the lower right corner of the screen and click the Apply button. The button will then change to a Sync button. Once the Sync button appears - click the Sync button to Sync your iPad / iPhone one more time. When the Sync completes - you will be able to remove your iPhone or iPad. Note - the mobile device is now wireless communicating with iTunes - you will continue to see the Eject button next to your device under devices - even after you disconnect it. You can optionally "eject" your device - and it will reconnect during a future sync attempt.

On your Device - Click Settings / General / iTune Wi-Fi Sync. The Sync Now button should be available - and not grayed out. If it is grayed out - wait a minute or so and it should appear. You "must" have iTune "open" or minimized on the PC or Mac to which you are trying to sync. Your computer cannot be sleeping when you are trying to sync wireless. (On a Mac - the sync may wake the Mac from Sleep - but it will not open iTunes if iTunes was not already open.

If you see a message that says "Sync will resume when XXXXXXX becomes available" - this means that iTunes is not running and needs to be opened.

When you sync over WiFi - this has nothing to do with iCloud. This is the same sync that you were previously performing via USB cable - the only difference is that you no longer have to physically connect your device to your iTunes computer - you simply ensure that iTunes is open on the computer and then press the sync button on each of your devices when you want to sync. As far as the sync being "automatic" (such as the way the iCloud backup is automatic) - I am not seeing that it syncs automatically - you have to press the sync button.

Scott

Hi Scott,

Though your post was directed to the OP, it contained just the info I was looking for---so thanks a lot.

dagold

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The only way I have been able to have wifi sync is to disconnect my wired ethernet cable and put my windows 7 on wifi network. So I have both my ipad 2 and my windows 7 computer on the same wifi network. Than it works. But this solution is kind of pointless since I have to disconnect a cable anyways. So now I am just syncing using the usb cable with my ethernet cable plugged into my computer for better internet.

kspector

iPF Noob
Reaction score
sbeattie2 said:

Scott

Hi
Does the "Open iTunes when this iPad is connected" box under Options need to be checked for this to work?

markbnh1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kspector said:
Hi
Does the "Open iTunes when this iPad is connected" box under Options need to be checked for this to work?

It works the same for me with or without the box checked as long as you manually start iTunes. If checked, iTunes will auto start when you connect by wire as stated.

Sent from my iPad2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts