What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad Purchase

Gazza860

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to Apple products and would like to soon purchase a used Ipad in order to assist a young child with the Hopscotch Coding App.
Could this forum assist me in identifying which of the older models ( want to keep expense to minimum ) would be suitable for this task. Screen size not important - prefer greater than 6 inches.
Any suggestions appreciated.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am new to Apple products and would like to soon purchase a used Ipad in order to assist a young child with the Hopscotch Coding App.
Could this forum assist me in identifying which of the older models ( want to keep expense to minimum ) would be suitable for this task. Screen size not important - prefer greater than 6 inches.

Hello and welcome to the forum! :) Some more information would help: 1) Where are you located in the world, i.e. availability and pricing will obviously vary; 2) What is your budget; and 3) Is the 'Hopscotch Coding' app the one shown below? If the latter is so, then the app will run on the older iOS versions (9 or above) which might impact on the age & price of the iPad you will purchase.

iPads come in a variety of screen sizes from 7.9" for the Minis, through 9.7" for many of the standard devices, and up to 11" to 12.9" for the Pros. For starters, take a look at Apple's Refurb Store - these are one of your safer bets and come w/ a 1-year warranty, but still pricey - let us know if these might be w/i your budget or not - hard to make other recommendations w/o answers to the questions above. Dave
IMG_4709.PNG

OP
G

Gazza860

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for your prompt reply.
To answer your questions:
Australia
Minimum $ - probably I wont have much use for it when my Hopscotch coding completed.
The app you have copied is the Hopscotch app I am requiring.
A mini would be OK for my purpose and I dont need cellular access - just wifi.

I am happy with an older model as long as it will run this app.
We have many eBay type sites here selling used / refurb Apples, but I just wasnt sure what to buy.
Thanks again, Gary

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Australia
Minimum $ - probably I wont have much use for it when my Hopscotch coding completed.

We have many eBay type sites here selling used / refurb Apples, but I just wasnt sure what to buy.
Thanks again, Gary
You should also check out the Australian version of the online Apple Store. The Apple Store sells refurbished devices at reduced cost. They have new cases and batteries and come with the same one year warranty as new devices. Visually they appear brand new.
The prices are higher than many private sellers are charging but they don't offer full warranties or new cases and batteries.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Australia

Thanks again, Gary

Hi Gary - thanks for the information - just checked and the exchange rate is $1.40 AUD vs. $1 USD; also, looked at the Australian Apple Refurb Offers and appears that $300+ AUD or a lot more, depending on the iPad model, storage, and Wi-Fi only vs. cellular - is that more than you want to pay? Keep in mind what Scifan... has re-emphasized, especially new battery + 1 year warranty. If you want to pay much under those prices, then eBay and its Aussie equivalents or possibly local offers (assume you have a Craig's list or similar service?) would be your choices, but certainly a lot riskier and likely w/o any guarantees, i.e. 'as is'.

Finally, I'm not sure what computer electronics you own or use, but a more recent iPad model w/ added storage and the ability to load the most recent iOS has MANY uses, some that may interest you? For myself, I'm on my 3rd iPad, an 11" Pro - my main purposes are to check email, browse the web (including 4-5 forums), read books, play music on a BT speaker while traveling, play a few games, use the photo apps, etc - but there are certainly other uses. Good luck in your decision. Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts