First iPad purchase.. few questions..

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by MCRVamprynxx33, May 2, 2017.

1. MCRVamprynxx33

MCRVamprynxx33
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    For some reason it won't let me edit my last post, here's a picture like the serge protector I use (only difference is mine has 4 sockets on each side instead of 3, aside from that it's identical).
    https://prodzone-tripplite.netdna-ssl.com/shared/product-images/lg/INTERNET350U-FRONT-L.jpg

Although, sometimes when I'm charging my tablets at my desk (not very often) I use a cheapo one that's next to me on my desk (which has a laptop and a big industrial box fan plugged in it, if that matters). I use the first one (the UPS one the most).

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Well, same type of 'Smart Cover' that I use - should be no problem leaving it on while charging - if still concerned, then test as suggested previously in my last post.

OK - does not appear that you're 'smothering' the device that might affect its cooling!

Well, I keep our AC in the house @ 72º F, so would be warm for us, but those temps should still be fine for your iPad - think of getting a ceiling fan - many are inexpensive - we have the 'low profile' Minka fans in two of our bedrooms (a little more expensive) control either by a remote or a wall replacement - a better option that would eliminate the fan plugged into your surge protector - just a suggestion.

Well, we live in the same state, I'm in Winston-Salem - where are you?

Well, you showing a Tripp Lite UPS which is much more than just a 'surge protector' which should be fine as the functions you are using the device.
    Screen Shot 2017-05-02 at 11.22.22 PM.png

3. MCRVamprynxx33

MCRVamprynxx33
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Oh cool, if it shouldn't be a problem I'll more than likely leave it on the tablet then.

I'll look into those fans.

Oh that's cool, I rather not say where at in NC I live (sorry).

Ok great. I was starting to think that could be the cause of my issues I'm having with my Samsung tablet mostly (charging issues mostly), my kindles will hold a charge just other issues with them. My samsung I can use it maybe an hour maybe an hour and a half if I'm lucky) and it dies, I try plugging it in to use it so it will charge it continues to drain, now I can plug it in and wait several days to check it and it maybe at the most 60% charged). Wasn't sure if how I was charging it could be affecting it (I wanted to make sure that wasn't the cause cause I didn't want the same issues with my new iPad).

Thanks so much for the help.

4. Jupiter7

Jupiter7
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Glad to help! I see Dave has given you in-depth, excellent advice on the above. Just for the record, I also use Smart Covers, but I fold them to the open position whilst charging.

5. sarahgad

sarahgad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

Firstly, congratulations on your purchase. I would share what i did when i got my iPad.
    1. I did charge the device fully after unboxing. Not a big deal i guess.
    2. Keep the un-used apps closed, i usually keep the screen light to medium and i think it works great all day.
    3. I hate cases whether it is for my iPhone or my iPad. But i still use it, keeps you safe. Once a while just take it out from the case only for cleaning purpose.

6. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hello - must disagree w/ the statement above in bold - closing 'idled apps' (and there are MANY!) using the 'Multi-task Screen' is not only a pain but will not allow opening an app at the point last used, i.e. the app must be reloaded which requires more battery usage - more information HERE (and plenty of other similar hits w/ a little googling). For myself, I only close an app as part of a 'Force Closure' if the app is misbehaving. Dave :)

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    No problem about your NC location - really not interested in a specific town or city, just a region, i.e. coast, sandhills, Piedmont, or mountains - all different areas in the state subject to variable considerations.

Just for general information for those interested, when signing into forums, your public IP address is known (unless being spoofed or on a VPN) which will identify your ISP - if needed (e.g. some FBI investigation) the ISP would relinquish the exact location of that IP address, so someone knows - ;)

I'm in a paranoid mode at the moment, especially concerning recent activity in Congress potentially allowing ISP's to sell your browsing history (Source) - currently reading the book below (written by a famous 'cyber criminal' turned 'good guy', I guess) - somewhat scary! As a result, I'm on a VPN at the moment - my ISP's assigned IP to me is in Triad, NC but w/ the VPN activated through one of their East Coast servers, I'm located in New Jersey (2nd image) - am I safer? Don't know but hope so. Dave :)
    ArtInvisibility.jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 11.09.46 AM.png

8. scifan57

scifan57
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    iOS is very good at memory management and it will close an app only if it needs more than the currently free memory space.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. MCRVamprynxx33

MCRVamprynxx33
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Jupiter7 - :) yes he did, (thanks Dave!). I may give that a try when I get my case, I just got my iPad today, amazon has yet to send my case, hopefully they will soon.

sarahgad - Thanks for the tips.

Dave - Hm.. maybe that is one thing that started causing issues on my previous tablets, I was bad to "Close all" of the apps I had open or use apps to do so. I was either bad to do that or do "Factory Resets" pretty often (more than I should have I guess lol), now sure if that could affect things but either way won't be doing that on my iPad! (well unless I HAVE to as a last option).

As for the whole location thing, I don't mind saying I live in the Mountains (I'm a bit paranoid as far as telling people online where I'm from (aside from telling my state). Long story that happened years ago (lets just say I was in chat rooms on games and had one person ask where I was from (just told them the state) and they freaked me out quite a bit), although that has been goodness probably 14 or 15 years now it creeped me out, thankfully nothing happened but they creeped me out). <-- ok hope that made sense lol.

Yikes not sure how I haven't heard about that (congress potentially allowing ISP's selling browsing history). :eek:

10. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I've had 4 Ipads from the 1 (got the first week or so), the 3, an Air and now a Pro 12.9. To be truthful, I charge with cases on, (a variety of cases), don't close apps because the Ipad memory handling is very good now, live in NC in the foothills but have used an Ipad all over the state and further south--with no issues regardless of temps. i use mine outside in very hot weather. All of the ipads, to my knowledge (I gave both the 1 and 3 to others, still have the Air for streaming to Apple TV), are still working. I outgrew the earlier ones because I push them, prefer the fastest, love using a split screen and find I can do 95% of my work and entertainment on them instead of using my Macbook Pro. BTW I use a case primarily for easier handling--less for protection.

My recommendation is at least look through the IOS online (IBooks) manual--so many things people are unaware of that are possible on the iPad.