iPad is not a Note taking device

Discussion in 'Productivity Apps Forum' started by ayerbusiness, May 9, 2010.

1. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I chose both PaperDesk and PenUltimate. I've settle on PaperDesk - which does a find job taking notes. It also allows me to highlight parts of the note, circle important thoughts, etc.

At first I thought that the method for handling the notes was a bit cheesy - you clicked a button and the note is pasted into an e-mail and added as an enclosure. But I actually found this pretty cool - since when I got back to my main computer I could save as, print, etc. I also created a gmail folder to store all of my PaperDesk notes.

What is also cool is that I can take notes and then e-mail them to people who need them.

2. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You can email even the audio notes from smartNote. I have them all and smartNote is by far the most advanced, I agree it is buggy at times, but nothing that is a showstopper since it is so easy restart right where you were.

One problem with smatNote is that it really uses the memory and the iPad OS doesn't manage memory very well. Other apps grab some and don't release memory properly.

Turning the iPad completely off and restarting it seems to solve a lot of the problem as it resets memory at that time.

Remember that if you have any unusual problem with any iPad app.

3. DavidNM

DavidNM
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Know what? I'm finding that I'm needing to do the power off restart piece on my iPad about every 2 days. Maybe that's some kind of ongoing daily maintenance that we should be doing. Does anyone know, technically, what that shutdown and re-start does v. just clicking the power off button?

4. Itzxdjx

Itzxdjx
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Um a dollar! At that price this is absolute steal and it's only gonna get better. I'm thinking must have app!

5. CaptKirk

CaptKirk
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I've tried smart note and love the concept and all but I think something is missing to take it well over par... A stylus folks. I don't know if it is clumsy me but I just can't get the hang of writing with my fingers. As far as using the typing pad why not put my $9.99 Pages to work. I know a lot of you disagree, but I think iPad should include a stylus function... And no, not the Pogo option..

6. Seadog

Seadog
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    A lot depends on what type of notes being taken.

7. Bremen

Bremen
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    I have number two on your list, Penultimate, and really don't care for it. The lines are too thick, and so it looks like a kids crayon when you write, or perhaps I am not using it right....

Smartnote on the other hand is easy to set the line size, and to me looks much better....
    I must say though that Penultimate at this point is more stable...

8. AbblePC

AbblePC
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I agree with each note app I try, it all boils down to the thickness of the hand writing lines. Even above all the added or bonus features, the lines have to look as though your writing not drawing with a thick crayon.

Also these are great lists for note taking apps, but one that keeps escaping the list is SoundPaper. It's a great note "type taking" and sound recording app.

Taking typed notes while recording a meeting or lecture, after recording you can play back the recording and tap any of your typed words to jump to that point within the recording. Depending how good you are at outlining during the recording, things match very well when reviewing after.

The only drawback of this app is no hand writing yet. :eek:

9. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Sundry Notes Naggware wants $7

Sundry has started nagging me for a donation of $2.00 to $9.00. They call it a contribution which is needed if I want to use certain features.

10. 4phun

4phun
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I looked at SoundPaper last night and may buy it. What I do not like is that you can not paste notes into Soundpaper but you have to retype everything.

I also discovered that Desktop a multitasking app for the iPad has a decent sound recorder with level meter, the ability to upload the sound files to others via USB or email. If emailed you can only send up to 10 minute snatches of audio do to a 256MB memory limitation in the iPad. With Desktop you can take typewritten notes on one side of the screen (or whole screen) while you can record hours upon hours of audio on the other side. Among other things Desktop does is Gmail, web browsing, calculator, conversions, system watch, etc.
    It is a rather neat app.