iPad is Great, iTunes is not.

Discussion in 'iPad Reviews' started by Excession, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Fotonutz

Fotonutz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Bremen

It works! I didn't know you can actually drag and drop songs via iTunes until I saw your reply and started to figure out how.
    It was my little monster who showed me how to do it! :D

However, I didn't hv a chance to try photos yet. Will try that later and see if I can do that.

Thanks!!
  2. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Yes, I can drag and drop music to the iPad, but its very complicated to selectively not sync certain individual songs from your library, and photos were even more difficult to deal with. ITunes also couldnt get a lot of my album art, so I opened the Zune software to get all that info and then used the album art from Zune to manually add in iTunes. (Which is also not a very intuitive process).
  3. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I have a TV tuner in my PC and bought a 1tb drive for something like $80 about a year ago (and that was from BestBuy!) to record TV shows. Its getting to the point (now don't start singing "Suite Judy Blue Eyes") where I am seriously considering buying another drive. NewEgg has a Western Digital 1tb drive for $59.99 + FREEE shipping! It is only a 5400 rpm drive, but they also have an Hitachi 7200 rpm drive for $69.99 + FREE shipping! There is no reason NOT to have have at least one additional hard drive!
  4. MacMattpc

MacMattpc iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've only ever had 2 itunes problems when I had to use a PC. bother were related to hardware drivers.
  5. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +480 / 0
    Something does not make sense I have m

any users running windows iTunes using xp , vista and 7 the only customers that have had problems are those whom have virus issues and poor hard drives ie fragmented Many of the issues seem to link back to USB ports on older computers however in saying that my customers have laptops and or desktops with in 2 years.
    I personally use Mac only so unable to test issues
  6. Ripplinghurst

Ripplinghurst iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I don't know when poor hard drives came into discussion. This is has nothing to do with how poorly written iTunes is, for reasons already mentioned. It's one of the worse media management programs available.

Even Windows Media Player is better: more formats supported from the get go, better library maintenance and update.

My 6 hard drives are perfect (including my raptors and my SSD), thank you, and I know where my issues come from: itunes.
  7. RobotRock

RobotRock iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I must be the only person here that couldn't live without iTunes. Been using it on PC since I got my first iPod and I love it. Even during the period when I didn't have any iPods I had looked at different replacements and couldn't find one I love as much as iTunes. I think it does everything perfectly, and have never had a problem with it. I love the way it manages my music as well. I just drag the files into the 'automatically add to iTunes folder' and it sorts each artist in their own individual folder.
  8. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I think if you have been using it a long time and know it well, its fine. What's important is that you have something that works for you. As a new user coming from newer versions of Windows Media and the Zune software, I found it awkward and not very intuitive, which is surprising for an Apple product. I think a lot of your experience depends on what music you have. iTunes couldnt get album art and song info for a lot of my music. It even split some albums into multiple albums and weird stuff like that. Luckily, I only needed to use it long enough to get my ipad up and running and I havent had to go back into iTunes since.
  9. Ripplinghurst

Ripplinghurst iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm glad it works for you, but it's because it happens to fill your needs.

It works with what? 5 or 6 file types? AAC, mp3, wav aiff, Apple lossless and mov? ACC is useless for me, since I refuse to use the iTunes store restricted and badly compressed files (last time I checked). So it's a MEDIA MANAGEMENT software that only works with mp3 and wav, basically.

It does not play or recognize tag on many many more music and video formats. Even if you have ALL the codecs that makes Windows Media Player or other play them, it won't work. You can't just drop an .mkv or .flac file into it, even if you have the codecs. It won't even convert them.

And it's not only about media management eigther. Even the Application management to sync with your iPad is poor.

Suppose you have 218 apps to choose from, what to sync on your iPhone, somebody else's and the iPad. You want to organize and delete apps. You want to use your big wide screen monitor: will it work? No it won't. It doesn't matter if you're using a 19" screen, a 24" or a 32": it won't scale. You can't make iTunes scale the iPhone mock up display and show more stuff so that it's easier to grab and organize things for instance. Just now on the iOS4 we have folders to organize apps. Really?

Using and navigating around iTunes is like web browsing the webpages with frames around 2002, don't you think?

iTunes needs more flexibility and a better design, I believe Apple can do a better job, or I wouldn't complain.
  10. RobotRock

RobotRock iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I'm still waiting for my iPad to arrive (longest wait ever) but once I get it I'll post my iPad-iTunes experience. For music though, I love iTunes. I have over 4,000 songs and I just like the way iTunes organises them. I don't really use it for movies, maybe that's where it lacks functionality.
  11. sirmaivanova

sirmaivanova iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPod app on iPad is not working

I have problems with my iPad and I am so disappointed because I cannot find any advise, anywhere. I love the iPod app on my iPad. But after several synchronizing with my PC (it was all fine), suddenly I cannot open the iPod - although the Itunes says that syncing is ok!
    The icon just opens and quickly closes - the app shows no live at all.

What shall I do? I tried the restoration...before restoting the apps iPod looked ok. But when i sync it - the same situation.

Anyone any ideas?
  12. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    iTunes works perfectly if you get all your music through iTunes. iTunes messed up several albums of mine and couldn't get art for a lot of them. The Zune software was much more accurate with organization and was able to recognize a lot more. (Though still not perfect, it split some of my albums as well when it found the same song on more than one album, it would get confused).

Maybe its because I'm old (ok, not that old). I like to buy real CDs on original media with artwork and such. I also don't listen to any top 40 stuff, so my collection is probably more obscure.
  13. pallentx

pallentx iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Have you tried rebooting the iPad.
    Hold the power button at the top down for 3-4 seconds. The slide to power off. Once its down, hold power again and it will boot up.
  14. imon32red

imon32red iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree. iTunes was good in its day. However, that day is gone. It needs a major overhaul, or just scrap it all together.
  15. qnet

qnet iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I've had a few glitches with Itunes over the years but, nothing major. I would love to get a mac and use it on that (I'm inching closer to this). The only issue I've had so far is, the last time I connected my Ipod; it didn't remove the songs I wanted it to when I unchecked them and synced.

When I first got my Ipad, I updated Itunes and then when I connected it, was promted to update to 3.2. I haven't had many issues with the Ipad.

Awhile ago I found a way to put the Album artwork into my music manually for the music that needed it but, don't remember how I did it.
  16. skelegore

skelegore iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    itunes is always a half made app
  17. andykeating

andykeating iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    i too found itunes a terrible app..its very difficult to deal with it.. :)
  18. iain1970

iain1970 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm glad that I'm not the only one that finds itunes to be the most rubbish, obstructive and unneccessarily complicated bit of software to use.

Mine spends all its time trying to optimise volumes of MP3s on my HDD, I have two copies of every track in the library, but the copies are unavailable, if I try to add albums to the iPad, only half of the album contents go across, putting videos on there is harder than doing a triple twist off a diving board while wearing a sombrero and flippers.

In a word, it's shite.

What happened to click & drag? Easy file management?
  19. newfmp3

newfmp3 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My main complaints about it are

1. Duplicates, it's not smart enough to stop showing duplicates even when you check the option to not show dulpicates. This needs to work and it would be nice if it would filter out the lower bit rate mp3's and only show the highest bit rate version of the duplicate....did that make sense?

2. Anyone that has ever accidently let itunes organize their library knows that this option should NEVER exist. Man what a mess it makes

3. Needs to be smart enough to pick up new songs in folders without rescanning or waiting for you to play them.

that being said, if you are looking for a way to have music in your home and have some sort of touch screen to use throughout the house to contorl said music, itunes + iPad and their remote App is one of the best options to use. There are much more $$$ ways to do what this setup does, and some of them not even close to being as good.
  20. Pixx

Pixx iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I totally agree with you!