Slow Backup on iTunes

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by LEXX911, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Teacher's Pet

Teacher's Pet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    I'm running the Zinio app and Windows 7 64 bit, and it's probably taking 30 minutes or so to back up if I've downloaded very many apps since the last sync. I'll do some trial and error when I have some free time and see what changes seem to effect backup time. The red x will come in quite handy sometimes when a full backup isn't needed.

2. MikesTooLz

MikesTooLz
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    The iphone/ipod/ipad backup files can become corrupted verry easily. when this happes backups via iTunes can take a very long time. Deleting the backup files on your computer and they performing a new backup should fix this issue.

The first time a backup is made it may take a while since its backing up everything on the device, but backups made after the first one should not take long.

#12 MikesTooLz, Jun 13, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  3. HistoryWes

HistoryWes
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Okay, I jinxed myself. As soon as I said my backups took only 5-10 minutes, I had one that took 45 minutes. :p

4. Wigwam

Wigwam
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I bought my ipad whilst on a conference visit. (My first apple hardware ever - I don't even have an iPod!)

I sync'd it with my ancient Windows laptop and everything was fine. Fast backup's and sync's.

I come home and try to sync it with ny Win7 64bit quad processor desktop and it takes hours!

I cannot understand it. I had hoped that the bigger beast that my desktop unit is would speed everythiung up to greased lightning (I was impressed with my old laptop - I was hoping to be blown away by the desktop.)

Now I'm very frustrated.:mad:

Could this have someting to do with the fact that I am resync'ing with a different machine?

BTW I downloaded the new itunes to my desktop as I didn't even have that....

5. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Depends...did you download a bunch of stuff while you were on your conference that it now has to back up?

6. Wigwam

Wigwam
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I did install a few apps and loaded up a few PDF files - which I have now removed!

It's a bit faster now - but hasn't yet completed a full backup!

BTW I notice that iTunes is repoting I have 485.7 MB of Other stuff on the iPad. What is this? It seems high for a devicethat has o movies or audioboos or msic installed. Only a few files in Pages and so on. (400.2 MB reported in Apps)

..... :confused:

#16 Wigwam, Jun 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  7. Bigsauce

Bigsauce
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Another 64 bit machine. That seems like the constant.

Is your's jailbroken? That Other Stuff might be that since mine is Jailbroken and I have a decent amount of of "other" as well.

8. kevroc

kevroc
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have 778mb of other. It's any applications saved data, settings, caches, etc. I don't have a lot of saved data on mine either, just a handful of files.

I have a sync from 10 days ago that's 25mb, the one I did yesterday was 150mb. I installed probably 10 applications with misc data files so my backup increased 6 fold.

In Windows 7 you can check your folder size under your "C:\Users\*user*\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup"
    in that directory are the folders containing your backups. What I did was if my backup was taking a long time but my folder size said 30mb's (and I know it shouldn't take long to backup 30 megs) then I knew I had a bad app that was causing the problem.

9. Wigwam

Wigwam
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    It's not jail broken - whatever that means - I've only been an apple user 1 week!:)

10. NumbLock

NumbLock
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I also use Windows 7 64 bit, but my backups aren't nearly as long as you guys. However I did find a cool desktop app called BackOff that allows you to toggle backups on and off.

I use it because enev the 5 minute backups annoy me and interrupt my busy schedule.