What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad II or iPad IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So what about the mini? if the ipad 2 is nearing the end of its life cycle in terms of iOS updates, can't the same be said about the mini! Isn't it just a shrunken down ipad 2?

By the way, the op was asking about the 2 and the 4, so I assume there is no interest in the mini. I'm not interested in push folks where they don't want to go....and I really do think the 4 is the most powerful tablet one can get. Experience suggest that when buying electronics, it is generally better to go with the latest and greatest as that gives longer lifespan.

If I could only have one iPad, it would be a mini with a retina screen and the same long battery life as the current one has. I'm not sure it will ever show up, actually. Even if it does, that may not be the best choice for everyone. Some people really prefer a longer screen. Nothing wrong with that. IMO.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dreamerdonkey said:
Thank you to all for your good advice. After reading all this I think getting a iPad 4 will be a good idea. Though I have to wait for a few days to gather the money (I actually spent most of my money on new year eve party :p ). But one last question, is iOS version is really that important? And is it possible to root iPad for changing its default operating system? Because I have an android device which was GB os. I root it and put IS os in it. And its work fine. Those question may look dumb but as I was told you, I am completely ignorant dumb about this device.

You can't "root" the iPad and insert another operating system. The only operating system available to the iPad 4 at this time is iOS 6.0.1.

OP
D

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks to all, for your good advice. And right now I think it will be wise for me to go for an iPad 4. By the way, out of curiosity one last question, many of you are talking about the version of iOS. Is the version of iOS is really that important? And is it possible to change the default iOS version of the device later? I am asking about this because I have an android device which default version was ginger bread. Later I root that device and put the new Ice-cream Sandwich OS in it and it work fine now. My question may look dumb to you but as I was told you before this device is totally new for me and I am completely ignorant about it. :eek:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
dreamerdonkey said:
Thanks to all, for your good advice. And right now I think it will be wise for me to go for an iPad 4. By the way, out of curiosity one last question, many of you are talking about the version of iOS. Is the version of iOS is really that important? And is it possible to change the default iOS version of the device later? I am asking about this because I have an android device which default version was ginger bread. Later I root that device and put the new Ice-cream Sandwich OS in it and it work fine now. My question may look dumb to you but as I was told you before this device is totally new for me and I am completely ignorant about it. :eek:

If you go to this site, you can download the manual for the iPad 4. It will give you some idea of what you can do with this device. http://support.apple.com/manuals/

Next, I recommend you head to an Apple Store, where you can get some hands on experience with the iPad. Finally, hanging around these forums is an excellent way to learn all about your iPad, including the things that never make it into the official guides.

cruiser111

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Have had my iPad 2 for almost nine months. Plan on keeping it 'till the cows come home, and haven't seen any lately.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
cruiser111 said:
Have had my iPad 2 for almost nine months. Plan on keeping it 'till the cows come home, and haven't seen any lately.

Damn. Those cows must be lost. 2 years in on the iPad 2 here, and no reasons to upgrade yet. Even my son's new iPad mini didn't leave me thinking I was stuck in the dark ages.

OP
D

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hu HO HO HA HA HA, behold, the mighty iPad 4 is in my hand and I don't sell my kidney. (but have to work on my grandpas garden for 2 month :'( )

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Sure, except that the mini is so much lighter that it is actually a different device. Of course, it's go feature the iPad 2 doesn't have, like better cameras, speakers, lightning port, and a higher ppi screen. It appeals to those who value weight and portability over power and high res graphics. It even as Siri and dictation, too.

That's all true, but the end of life hardware specs still ring true, don't they? If the iPad 2 suddenly becomes obsolete wouldn't the mini follow due to having the same guts? That's what the other poster was getting at, I think?

jdelrizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
^no it wasn't the op's question it was mine, thank you for bring it back up! I probably should have started my own thread on that instead of hijacking the op's thread, sorry!. But any how, am I right or am I right? ipad mini will become out dated when ever ipad 2 does, do to the internals (not the little upgrades they gave it)And according to some of y'all ipad 2 is nearing the end of its life cycle which once again means so is the mini!

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
^no it wasn't the op's question it was mine, thank you for bring it back up! I probably should have started my own thread on that instead of hijacking the op's thread, sorry!. But any how, am I right or am I right? ipad mini will become out dated when ever ipad 2 does, do to the internals (not the little upgrades they gave it)And according to some of y'all ipad 2 is nearing the end of its life cycle which once again means so is the mini!

This sounds like a logical conclusion to me. However, I dispute whether the IPad II is nearing the end of the "life cycle". Not for me. I expect mine to have several more years of life. I have NO interest in replacing it.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
That's all true, but the end of life hardware specs still ring true, don't they? If the iPad 2 suddenly becomes obsolete wouldn't the mini follow due to having the same guts? That's what the other poster was getting at, I think?

That's what the "Sure" means. It's clearly old tech...but old tech is useful if that's what it takes to make it hand-holdable device for long periods. That and higher ppi (meaning they don't really have the same guts). So, given that the iPad mini just came out in Nov, I have a hard time seeing it being "no longer in use" any time soon. But if you want a 9.7-inch iPad, the only reason to get an iPad 2 is because of cost, as it offers very little that the iPad 4 doesn't offer. The mini and the iPad 4 are different form factor devices. Handing them in your hands for long periods leads to two very different experiences. Apple will likely drop the iPad 2 before it drops the mini just for that reason.

And end of life hardware specs don't ring true, though. The Mini plays games quite nicely. I've been comparing it to the 3, the Nexus 7 and the Nexus 10 using Beach Buggy Blitz. The Nexus devices will drop frames under certain conditions while the Mini and the 3 don't. It's like the xBox and PS...they have run games over nearly a decade without any hardware changes simply because they run games designed for the hardware and the hardware is static.

The same goes for lots of microprocessors, too. While only PCs use the higher end processors, these are zillions of other devices that use microprocessors that are slower and less capable, but find use in devices that are special purpose. Automobiles have lots of special-use microprocessors inside. They are certainly not obsolete, either.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This sounds like a logical conclusion to me. However, I dispute whether the IPad II is nearing the end of the "life cycle". Not for me. I expect mine to have several more years of life. I have NO interest in replacing it.

You won't have to replace it, at least not immediately. But once it stops being sold, it will become obsolete. Also, its battery life will began to fade, so you'll eventually either upgrade or carry a charger everywhere. It's just how it goes. I have old PCs that still run just fine, though they have long been obsolete. They run the OS they ran just fine as well as software they are designed to run. I bought them so long ago I can't remember their exact age, either. Just because something is obsolete doesn't mean it isn't useful. People seem to be fearful of the word "obsolete" for some reason. If it does what you need it to do, then you can use it until it quits running.

OP
D

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You won't have to replace it, at least not immediately. But once it stops being sold, it will become obsolete. Also, its battery life will began to fade, so you'll eventually either upgrade or carry a charger everywhere. It's just how it goes. I have old PCs that still run just fine, though they have long been obsolete. They run the OS they ran just fine as well as software they are designed to run. I bought them so long ago I can't remember their exact age, either. Just because something is obsolete doesn't mean it isn't useful. People seem to be fearful of the word "obsolete" for some reason. If it does what you need it to do, then you can use it until it quits running.
Totally agree with your opinion. Once I start to use any device I use it until it blows up. Belief me I am still using my old dumb Nokia phone which even don't have any camera, and that don't bother me at all. Once I fit in to a device its really hard for me to change it. Technology are changing every day. And IMO its really not that necessary to keep update all the time, rather I prefer to use which is comfortable and familiar to me. That's why I want your opinion. Because I am going to use this device until it blows up or get stolen from me.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just because something is obsolete doesn't mean it isn't useful

Actually, I believe that IS the EXACT definition of obsolete, at least according to Mr Webster.

"No longer in use or no longer useful"

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts