What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 vs iPad 3: RAM concerns

sudeepm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi friends.
I am considering buying an ipad, confused between 2 and 3. I believe, the only upside ipad 3 has is the extra 512 mb RAM. Other things like quad-core graphics(which primarily gets used up in populating the extra pixels) and the new display are things i can live without.

what my concern is that with only 512 mb ram, would the ipad 2 be in a good position to play heavy games like temple run, and other HD games that might come in the future? what has been the experience so far of ipad 2 users?

Please guide me so that i can appropriately decide on this.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My kids play temple run and lots of other games on the iPad 2s that we have in the house and there has never been a problem with any of them. There could be some super hi tech brand new games that may benefit from the beefier hardware in the iPad 3 but nothing we play seems to have any problems. Real racing 2 HD is a big game per say and that runs perfectly on my iPad 2.

I think the iPad 2 will be fine for your needs.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Honestly if you are concerned about the ability to play games and heavy ones at that there is no real choice. New iPad all the way. Yes, right now the iPad 2 will run them just fine but if you want to get the most out of the games why not go with the new iPad.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The consoles do ok with 512MB ram.
I'd be much more concerned about screen details and GPU.

dstuttgen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
hi friends.
what my concern is that with only 512 mb ram, would the ipad 2 be in a good position to play heavy games like temple run, and other HD games that might come in the future? what has been the experience so far of ipad 2 users?

I play GTA3, Max Payne, Dead Space and Mass Effect on the iPad 2 with no issue. I am pleased to find some of my fav old time games in the app store lime Max and GTA.
Hoorar!

Cheers, Dan

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
I've notice minimal, if zero lag on my ipad2 due to ram.

But as mentioned, apps and games will progressively be developed to be optimised and utilise double and more than double the amount of ram than what the ipad2 has got.

But also as mentioned, not yet :)

Most reactions

Latest posts