What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad II or iPad IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello everyone. This year I receive an iPad II from my parent as a Christmas present. It is still in the box and I don't open it yet. Because I am confused. One of my friend told me that iPad 4 is great device and its retina display feature is really awesome. So he suggest me to exchange the iPad II for an iPad IV. But I have to add around extra 150$ if I really do the change. Is retina display really worth extra 150$. I am into a some kind of dilemma. So please help me guys to take the right decision. Thanks in advance.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are other features besides the retina display. Dictation and Siri are two which you would gain with the iPad 4 (or 3).

We must be reaching the point at which the iPad 2 will no longer be supported with iOS updates, and this is a consideration. I for one am satisfied with my iPad 2, but I've had it for 2 years. If I were to replace it due to a malfunction, I feel sure that the replacement would be the most up-to-date model I could lay my hands on.

The only advantage with the iPad 2 is that the battery is smaller and doesn't take so long to charge, which I find useful.

If you have sound docks etc. you have to bear in mind that the new connector will be incompatible. An adaptor will cost you around $30.

At the end of the day, it's personal choice. The iPad 2 is still a great piece of equipment, but if you want cutting edge, the 4 is the way to go.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also to be considered is the fact that the iPad 4 will continue to be supported by iOS upgrades for a significantly longer period than the iPad 2. If the cost to upgrade to the iPad 4 is within your budget, you should seriously consider Kevin's advice.

OP
D

dreamerdonkey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are other features besides the retina display. Dictation and Siri are two which you would gain with the iPad 4 (or 3).

We must be reaching the point at which the iPad 2 will no longer be supported with iOS updates, and this is a consideration. I for one am satisfied with my iPad 2, but I've had it for 2 years. If I were to replace it due to a malfunction, I feel sure that the replacement would be the most up-to-date model I could lay my hands on.

The only advantage with the iPad 2 is that the battery is smaller and doesn't take so long to charge, which I find useful.

If you have sound docks etc. you have to bear in mind that the new connector will be incompatible. An adaptor will cost you around $30.

At the end of the day, it's personal choice. The iPad 2 is still a great piece of equipment, but if you want cutting edge, the 4 is the way to go.
Thank you for your kind advice, can you please briefly describe about Dictation and Siri. I really don't have any kind of clue what are you talking about. And I am still not opened my iPad box yet :eek: . Waiting for your answer.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Siri is a voice actuated service which allows you to ask questions and receive (semi)intelligent responses. It also allows you to open apps and do a whole heap of other things, all by talking to your iPad.

Dictation adds a key to the keyboard which allows you to dictate your notes, Pages documents etc.

I haven't used either of them much. I have th iPad 2, which doesn't have them. My son has the mini, so I borrowed it to check these features out.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you can afford the extra cost, it would be worth the upgrade. The iPad 2 is nearing the end of its life in terms of OS updates and the tech inside is long in the tooth. The iPad 4 is the best tablet on the planet in terms of power, apps, and ecosystem.

jdelrizzle

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what about the mini? if the ipad 2 is nearing the end of its life cycle in terms of iOS updates, can't the same be said about the mini! Isn't it just a shrunken down ipad 2?

runningbear29

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So what about the mini? if the ipad 2 is nearing the end of its life cycle in terms of iOS updates, can't the same be said about the mini! Isn't it just a shrunken down ipad 2?

It uses the same old processor as the iPad2 and a non retina screen. But I think it uses the new OS. the biggest downside to the iPad2 is it's small RAM at 512 this causes the screen to blank out when thumbing through pages. The iPad4 has 1 Meg. of RAM.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
runningbear29 said:
It uses the same old processor as the iPad2 and a non retina screen. But I think it uses the new OS. the biggest downside to the iPad2 is it's small RAM at 512 this causes the screen to blank out when thumbing through pages. The iPad4 has 1 Meg. of RAM.

Both the Mini and iPad 2 run the latest version of iOS, the mini has had an update (iOS 6.0.2) to fix a potential wifi issue which affected the mini and iPhone 5 but aside from that they both run iOS 6.x.x. The iPad 2, 3 and 4 all run exactly the same iOS 6.0.1

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Sure, except that the mini is so much lighter that it is actually a different device. Of course, it's go feature the iPad 2 doesn't have, like better cameras, speakers, lightning port, and a higher ppi screen. It appeals to those who value weight and portability over power and high res graphics. It even as Siri and dictation, too.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Sure, except that the mini is so much lighter that it is actually a different device. Of course, it's go feature the iPad 2 doesn't have, like better cameras, speakers, lightning port, and a higher ppi screen. It appeals to those who value weight and portability over power and high res graphics. It even as Siri and dictation, too.

It's definitely appealing to me......not quite sure how I'm going to keep my wallet in my pocket the next time that I pass a store selling them!

The Archangel

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Where are so seeing screen blank out on a mini? I have not run into that. I have noticed some low-memory warnings when opening some games after having been doing some other stuff, but they play fine. I've actually been looking for limitations imposed by less ram. These warnings are, so far, about it. So, if you know of something for sure let me know so I can test and compare with my iPad 3.

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I went from the 2 to the 3 and was happy so it would be worth it going from 2 to the 4.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's definitely appealing to me......not quite sure how I'm going to keep my wallet in my pocket the next time that I pass a store selling them!

The Archangel

Right this moment I'm playing a movie on my mini, sending it though the Apple TV, just to see how well it works and, of course, it works extremely well. But typing on the forum while holding my iPad 3 is a bit of a pain. Next time, I will do this the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts