What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad II or iPad IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Because developers will increasingly build apps to take advantage of newer hardware, which will increasingly overtax old hardware. Which apps and when they lose support will vary. Newer firmware also is required for some apps.

Sure, I get that. It just seems that most of the library of apps will still be available for older idevices even many years later. Think of all the apps that were written before the newest iPad was released. There are tens of thousands of them. And, you can always not take updates if they require certain hardware specs.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sure, I get that. It just seems that most of the library of apps will still be available for older idevices even many years later. Think of all the apps that were written before the newest iPad was released. There are tens of thousands of them. And, you can always not take updates if they require certain hardware specs.

I'm not app crazy, so I really only care about whether the apps I use are affected. I figure individual owners are best positioned to decide when their iPad needs upgrading, depending on how they use it. Your usage probably varies from mine, for instance.

For me, crashes and sluggishness are a big strike, because I use my iPads for surfing more than anything else -- that's how I read nearly all of my news (I read about a dozen news sites every day, and read links off them as well, for instance, and I speed read). The little work I can do on iPad also is also limited by crashes and sluggishness.

The other iPad apps I use most frequently (for books, audiobooks, movies and email) tend to have more backward compatibility than say game apps, which don't interest me at all. With apps I use on the go (like travel or search-specialized apps like Yelp), my phone is the key thing most of the time, and I'm using an Android phablet for that.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I believe apple can replace a battery for about a hundred bucks or so. If the iPad 2 is still working great and just needs a battery then that may be money well spent for some people. Obsolete doesn't apply to a product that still does something useful. It could be ten more years until any iPad is truly obsolete. It may not run every new, memory hogging app out there but obsolete is too harsh a word for something that will still have a purpose and plenty of uses. Guess I'm just being an iPad 2 fanboy. :)

Obsolete doesn't have much to do with a single user.

adjective

no longer in general use; fallen into disuse: an obsolete expression.

2. of a discarded or outmoded type; out of date: an obsolete battleship.

it can indeed be obsolete but still useful to a person.

It seems people just fear being associated with the word obsolete. :)

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figure if you're happy with your device, it doesn't matter if other people have discarded it and moved on. My mom is still loving her VCRs, lol.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I figure if you're happy with your device, it doesn't matter if other people have discarded it and moved on. My mom is still loving her VCRs, lol.

I own and occasionally still use devices that most people would have considered obsolete decades ago. For example, one of my favourite cameras is an 84 year old Leica in perfect operating condition, which is still used occasionally.

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
I own and occasionally still use devices that most people would have considered obsolete decades ago. For example, one of my favourite cameras is an 84 year old Leica in perfect operating condition, which is still used occasionally.

Same here sci, I still use my Zenit E Russian 35mm SLR even though it weighs a ton (old tank parts used to make it). The lens is amazing for macro work. Obsolete? Like beauty....it's in the eye of the beholder/user.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts