iPad Backup Syncing taking Forever!

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by chipzip, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Sprank1

Sprank1
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hello,

I also have very long backup times with my ipad. I was wondering if we could start a list of apps that are known to cause long backups.

The only one I knew of was the Zinio Magazine app. I'm not sure if they fixed that problem or not because I don't use it anymore.

Anyone know of others that cause backup issues? Let's see if we can start a list.

Thanks

2. Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I think it has soooo much to do with your processor. I like many found iTunes slow. I was using a 1.6ghz 1GB ram netbook and it took literally hours..... But with my shiny new i5 2.4ghz 4GB ram it's just fine.... In my opinion it could be optimized for the slower processors?...!

3. JonB

JonB
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    The jury is still out on this one. But..after I installed IOS 4.2 today I immediately did a backup. Which took about 10 minutes..it was taking 100..perhaps new OS fixed this. We will see

4. guru

guru
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Sometimes reinstalling itunes helps

dannyboy: apparently reinstalling itunes (and possibly other stuff) can sometimes make a difference. Maybe reinstalling everything on your new computer helped.

I notice from the backup files that the transfer is just godly slow, so there has to be something bad going on between the usb itself.

5. Rishabh

Rishabh
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Hi guys,

This might be a little off topic but I have problems syncing my apps from iTunes to my iPad. I upgraded to iOS 4.2.1 yesterday, and all the apps I previously had, vanished from my iPad.

Now when I try to sync them back from iTunes (I had a backup of all my apps and books on iTunes) to my iPad, only the free apps go through, the paid apps don't transfer to the iPad.

Does anyone have a clue?!

6. whosaidthat

whosaidthat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Huffington Post was my culprit

JonB's post hit it right on the head (at least with the slow issue I was having.) I went in and watched my backup take place via the folder he mentioned and noticed that the Huffington Post App was the issue (each story cached) stuck close to 2 hours. I deleted the app and re-ran the backup....25 min from beginning to end.

Thanks for the guidance!

7. trashman

trashman
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Do not have the Huffington Post App so thats not the cause of my pain.

My iPhone backup which is 27GB takes only a short time say 5 -10 minutes max ... my iPad with about 25 GB takes 3 hours plus.

To me it's a hardware or driver issue which should have been solved with the new OS releases ... whatever it is, Apple knows ... their silence means they are wrestling with a profit over recall issue and everyone knows "you better take care on Wall street when the index is low".

8. JonB

JonB
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    CuCusoft Backup Utility

I'm not sure that this software is the answer. The apple backup does Not backup music, videos, or photos..from their native locations. The problem is this..for example..there are several apps that allow me to copy images from computer iPad via wifi and put them in any folder I want. I have yet to see any backup software that is smart enough to find these photos and do something with them.

A traditional backup system lists folders and you pick what to backup. Since the iPad has a rudimentary file system this is not possible

Many apps are how adding their own backups to DropBox or other websites.

I think if you take a close look at CuCusoft you will see, it cannot handle 3 Ed party app data.

I will try my new IOS 4.2 backup today and see if my theory about this has any validity. Thanks

9. Scar

Scar
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Trying Your Advice JonB

Jon B,

Thanks for the advice. I can't confirm it yet but at least it's a place to start. For me, it looks like the offending apps were:

Vanity Fair
    Sports Illustrated
    Ny Time Editors Choice

10. Scar

Scar
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Well...I can confirm it now. I deleted Zinio, Huff Post, Sports Illustrated, Vanity Fair and NY Times Editor Choice. My backup time went from...(I don't know what really. It was two hours and 1/3 completed when I cancelled it) to less than 30 minutes. I highly recommend JonB's advice... The only thing I can add is that you might have trouble finding the location of the backup files. If you do, just do a search on *.mdinfo files and it will help lead the way.