iPad Backup Syncing taking Forever!

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by chipzip, Apr 4, 2010.

1. JonB

JonB
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    IPad Backup

Everyone...since I upgraded to the new Operating System..4.2..my backup issues disappeared. My back takes about 5 minutes. I have 131 apps. I wasn't aware that there still was an issue.

2. guru

guru
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    I think a lot of problems are electrical issues. I switched data cables and things went to under 5 mins. I was watching the backup files come in and it was taking a minute for very very *very* small files!

TRY A DIFFERENT USB CABLE!!

I also learned that a lot of apps (like various news apps) are storing cached files and not cleaning them up when the articles are months old and can no longer even be viewed in the app. (retarded!) I noticed this in all/most of the apps I use on a daily basis. So all the apps people are suggesting as problems are probably because they use them daily versus ones they rarely use. If I remove the app, then reinstall it, it's back to normal. Too bad all these files are taking up flash memory when they will never again be accessed --- then also taking up backup time!

3. gjw46

gjw46
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Infinite backup times

I have a 32gb I pad, granted it is filling up and previous backups were taking near 8hours. Thus It has been some time since my last I pad confession.
    Plugged in on Saturday afternoon to also add the new 4.2 update, it has been on there with no interuptions and is now 10am Monday morning, and is less than halfway!!

Its gonna run out of battery before it completes this backup, and I'm pretty sure I will cancel it before this. I am using my old I-pod lead so maybe this is partly to blame. I also hear the ft app can be a drag on backups (soon to be culled)
    I also have a lot of stuff on dropbox, due a clearup

Any insights into how I can speed this up would be greatly appreciated. And if I cancel halfway through the backup, will it pickup where i left off next time?

4. Scar

Scar
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Read the jonb threads. His advice works.

5. guru

guru
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Hilarious!

Use a new ipad cable, not ipod ones. They look the same but must be different. Ipod cables on my ipad run slow!

Also, any app you use a lot could take a while to backup as it has more files in it's "filesystem". I removed Blastr then reinstalled it and that sped my backup up a lot. A lot of apps dont clean up files they download - like old news articles.

6. baanestad

baanestad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Same here.

I couldn't agree more. iTunes is very, VERY bad.

On the other hand, this solution sounds very good indeed. Since I am stuck at the (supposedly) and of my (yet another attempt to) backup, I'll (try to) let it finish this time (if it doesn't take another 18 HOURS...) - and then I will definitely take the time to go through this tutorial.

This is my very first time here, btw, so... "Hi y'all". :p
    Thanks for sharing! :) :ipad-front:

7. baanestad

baanestad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Really?

Zinio?! Really? Oh bugger... I have many magazines subscriptions there! :(
    How do you know which apps are the 'offensive' ones?
    Thanks!

8. USBill

USBill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    The iPad cable is different. The "head" is twice the size of the iPod touch/iPhone cable.

When I stopped using my iPod touch cable all my synch problems went away without removing ANY content.

9. baanestad

baanestad
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    What do you mean? My cables are exactly identical... The iPad, iPod touch, iPhone, if I hadn't marked them, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. :( The only difference actually, is the power plug - that is big. Im using the right cable and it didn't help. :(

10. Protegeone

Protegeone
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:

Fully agree. Since upgrading to v4.2 problem simply vanished. Full backup takes max. 4-5minutes.

I would say this has nothing to do with cables as I am using the ancient cable which came with my 2nd gen Nano and no problems at all.