1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iPad Backup Syncing taking Forever!

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by chipzip, Apr 4, 2010.

1. chipzip

chipzip iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello. I was one of the lucky ones who got a 32GB ipad on launch day at a Best Buy. Yesterday all was fine - synced music, apps, video without a hitch using iTunes. Also purchased some apps from the device itself.
    Today when I pluged the ipad into my PC it started the "Backing up iPad" sync around 1 hour ago and it is still only half finished! Something must be wrong. Does anyone have any insights or answers why this is taking soooo long? Help.
  2. gjperera

gjperera iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm assuming this has been resolved?
  3. chipzip

chipzip iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    iPad Backup

The iPad backup routine is much faster now. I think the first version of the Wall Street Journal App was what was making it originally take sooo long. I read in the release notes of the updated Wall Street app that it was designed to allow a faster backup. Anyway all is much better now.
  4. mitch1

mitch1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have the same problem. How come I have to back up everytime before it sync's. How come I can't decide when I want to back up. If you upload a ton of info eather in an app or photos or anything else the next time you sync the damn thing it takes forever. This is bs, how do you disable the back up? I should be able to chose when I want to perform a back up. And why do I have to use that damn itunes program, Its a piece of crap
    • Like Like x 1
  5. kheldour

kheldour iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Backup is essential for iPad. Because if you don't do it frequently, or even worse - manually, then you will be the first to complain, that you data is lost, when you have to do a "roll-back" or a factory restore of the device.

That sometime the backup takes longer, depends on app or other content purchases. There are apps out there with 1-2GB data (i.e. Xe).

I wonder, when Apple finally will provide Wifi-Synching.

And btw. you can chose, if you want to backup or not. But default is YES.
    Last edited: May 1, 2010
  6. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0
    A corrupt app pict or music file will cause it. Need to disable sync with apps /picts then sync 5 -30 at a time to isolate. iItakes a while but you should find problem same as iPhone I had 5 Picts causing drama with sync

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. mitch1

mitch1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    A corrupt app pict or music file will cause it. Need to disable sync with apps /picts then sync 5 -30 at a time to isolate. iItakes a while but you should find problem same as iPhone I had 5 Picts causing drama with sync

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

That is what I thought, So I deleted all the pics in the photo album, deleted an app that I thought was causing the problem. Started back up at 2:30 am. At 7:30 am only 1/3 finished. This is an itunes problem. Why do we have to subjected to this piece of crap. I can back up a 1TB hard drive faster than this. We all have spent too much money to have itunes be the bottle neck
  8. brhon

brhon iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    it has to be a corrupted file/app. I have not had any issues with syncing-actually I was expecting it to be much longer.
  9. Aardvark

Aardvark iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I completely agree - my iPad is brand new and on only the third sync it started taking more than an hour to "backup". I have had the same problem with my iPhone which at one point was taking more than 18 hours to backup. Apple Support's solution was to uninstall iTunes and everything else remotely Apple related (quicktime etc) and reinstall all from scratch. I wish I could just uninstall iTunes and never EVER have to use it again - it is far and away the worst piece of software I have on my PC.
  10. Bremen

Bremen iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Just to answer to the one post wonders above.... If you have a legit complaint, I understand. But most people do not see "18 hour" syncs. Mine, which is done on a single core Atom processor netbook, takes 5 minutes max...... Unless I have added several apps....
  11. Matth3w

Matth3w iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I have never seen a backup time of that much...and my 64GB iPad is always full...with about 2.5GB of apps. Takes me about 30 seconds to back up. But then again I have 4.26GHz dual core, 4GB overclocked RAM, fast hard drives, etc.
  12. Excession

Excession iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My brand new iPad appears to be 'bricked'. Can't run ANY download application -- just a flash of opening and it closes again. Had the problem of 'backup' not working, then the ipad wasn't recognised at all. Did a factory restore (many hundreds of megabytes download). That restored it to the default but when I put on applications, they don't work for some unknown reason. I'm stuck and very very frustrated with my new device.
  13. col.bris

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0
    Take it back to apple it may be a hardware problem and if so will replace it

Cheers Colin
  14. col.bris

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +458 / 0
    That is what I thought, So I deleted all the pics in the photo album, deleted an app that I thought was causing the problem. Started back up at 2:30 am. At 7:30 am only 1/3 finished. This is an itunes problem. Why do we have to subjected to this piece of crap. I can back up a 1TB hard drive faster than this. We all have spent too much money to have itunes be the bottle neck[/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with iTunes I sync apple tv 2 iPhones an iPod touch no problem all in a few minutes
    The problem you have is a corrupt file music movie photo or application that is preventing it running correctly Either manually sync by turning off everything you don't need or restore will fix it. I should point out if you back up a corrupt file on a back up from your main drive to your 1tb drive the issue is the back up file is unusable. What we do not know is what you have actually installed on your iPad
  15. Matth3w

Matth3w iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I also heard Zinio magazine app causes it.
  16. Aardvark

Aardvark iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The issue isnt with the speed of the computer, it is something to do with the iPad / iPhone / iTunes combo and presumably something to do with corrupted files. If it is a corruption problem then it is just plain bizarre if a few hours of 'normal' use and foolishly installing a few apps using the machine instead of iTunes results in corrupted files to the extent that I need to delete everything and reinstall iTunes (which is what Apple Support had me do with my iPhone).

And yes, most people may not see 18 hour syncs, but a hell of a lot of people see very very long ones - just search google for: iphone backup takes forever

As far as I can see this problem has never been resolved and is rearing its head with the iPad as well
  17. chandar

chandar iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am another unlucky person to face a near 8 hour backing up!

In my case, I guess the apps on which I have loaded files (e.g. I use Stanza, PDF Comrade for certain category of pdf files) I found that the files loaded onto these application are backed up in C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes folder. The more data you have on these apps, the longer it takes to backup (especially the first time you backup!)
    Can some expert check and validate this please?
  18. jutudey

jutudey iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is it possible to change backup location?

My problem is that the Ipad backup folder get so big that it fills up my C drive. Does anyone know if it is possible to make itunes place the backup folder on a different location??
  19. Luvntravln

Luvntravln iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Back to this issue, when you do an automatic backup through iTunes are you literally backing up everything on the iPad? I just added 1-gb of movies into the CineXPlayer App and the backup is still running and running.

This took quite some time; next time I will actually time it.

Also, here is a screen shot of my backup folder; because I unplugged my iPad several times it was backuped several times.

1. What about disabling automatic backup and only doing it once a day?

2. Would it be safe to delete everything below the 8:36am entries in that the 8:36 entries - the most recent backups - would contain all that is on the iPad?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  20. Luvntravln

Luvntravln iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I did this download and install - fortunately I did not pay for it! - because instead of installing iPad Backup Software it installed Cucusoft iPad converter - no backup software!!

Not being cucu I uninstalled this unwanted converter.