iPad Backup Syncing taking Forever!

Discussion in 'iPad Help' started by chipzip, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I have never seen a backup time of that much...and my 64GB iPad is always full...with about 2.5GB of apps. Takes me about 30 seconds to back up. But then again I have 4.26GHz dual core, 4GB overclocked RAM, fast hard drives, etc.

2. Excession

Excession
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    My brand new iPad appears to be 'bricked'. Can't run ANY download application -- just a flash of opening and it closes again. Had the problem of 'backup' not working, then the ipad wasn't recognised at all. Did a factory restore (many hundreds of megabytes download). That restored it to the default but when I put on applications, they don't work for some unknown reason. I'm stuck and very very frustrated with my new device.

3. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Take it back to apple it may be a hardware problem and if so will replace it

Cheers Colin

4. col.bris

col.bris
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That is what I thought, So I deleted all the pics in the photo album, deleted an app that I thought was causing the problem. Started back up at 2:30 am. At 7:30 am only 1/3 finished. This is an itunes problem. Why do we have to subjected to this piece of crap. I can back up a 1TB hard drive faster than this. We all have spent too much money to have itunes be the bottle neck[/QUOTE]

There is nothing wrong with iTunes I sync apple tv 2 iPhones an iPod touch no problem all in a few minutes
    The problem you have is a corrupt file music movie photo or application that is preventing it running correctly Either manually sync by turning off everything you don't need or restore will fix it. I should point out if you back up a corrupt file on a back up from your main drive to your 1tb drive the issue is the back up file is unusable. What we do not know is what you have actually installed on your iPad

5. Matth3w

Matth3w
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    I also heard Zinio magazine app causes it.

6. Aardvark

Aardvark
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    The issue isnt with the speed of the computer, it is something to do with the iPad / iPhone / iTunes combo and presumably something to do with corrupted files. If it is a corruption problem then it is just plain bizarre if a few hours of 'normal' use and foolishly installing a few apps using the machine instead of iTunes results in corrupted files to the extent that I need to delete everything and reinstall iTunes (which is what Apple Support had me do with my iPhone).

And yes, most people may not see 18 hour syncs, but a hell of a lot of people see very very long ones - just search google for: iphone backup takes forever

As far as I can see this problem has never been resolved and is rearing its head with the iPad as well

7. chandar

chandar
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I am another unlucky person to face a near 8 hour backing up!

In my case, I guess the apps on which I have loaded files (e.g. I use Stanza, PDF Comrade for certain category of pdf files) I found that the files loaded onto these application are backed up in C:\Users\xxxxxxxx\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\iTunes folder. The more data you have on these apps, the longer it takes to backup (especially the first time you backup!)
    Can some expert check and validate this please?

8. jutudey

jutudey
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Is it possible to change backup location?

My problem is that the Ipad backup folder get so big that it fills up my C drive. Does anyone know if it is possible to make itunes place the backup folder on a different location??

9. Luvntravln

Luvntravln
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Back to this issue, when you do an automatic backup through iTunes are you literally backing up everything on the iPad? I just added 1-gb of movies into the CineXPlayer App and the backup is still running and running.

This took quite some time; next time I will actually time it.

Also, here is a screen shot of my backup folder; because I unplugged my iPad several times it was backuped several times.

1. What about disabling automatic backup and only doing it once a day?

2. Would it be safe to delete everything below the 8:36am entries in that the 8:36 entries - the most recent backups - would contain all that is on the iPad?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

#19 Luvntravln, Sep 1, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  10. Luvntravln

Luvntravln
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I did this download and install - fortunately I did not pay for it! - because instead of installing iPad Backup Software it installed Cucusoft iPad converter - no backup software!!

Not being cucu I uninstalled this unwanted converter.