What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introduction

verdonkf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My name is Frits. I just got a new I-pad 2 and trying to load it up with apps.
In doing so i have 2 problems:
- How can i quickly navigate the enormous amount of apps in the App store. I now have to go thru a catagory page by page (very time consuming)
- How can I change the text underneath an app icon to be more descriptive.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good to hear from you. You’ll find a whole bunch of iPad enthusiasts in this Forum who are only too willing to help other iPad owners and to hear of their experiences. Don’t be afraid to post any questions you may have or use the ‘Search’ button near the top of the Forum web page. I usually find I discover one new interesting and useful piece of information about my iPad every day - and often not even what I was looking for!!

It's not possible to rename apps ....but....you can put apps into folders and then give the folder a descriptive name. For example, I put all my Apple iWorks Office apps - Pages, Numbers and Keynote - into one folder and called it 'Office. To do that, press and hold any icon until they start to 'jiggle' (Apple's name, not mine!). Then touch and hold the icon of one of the apps that you want to put into a folder and drag it on top of another app icon that you want to be in that same folder. Keep doing that for subsequent apps. The iPad will give the folder a default name of the first app icon but if, when you've finished dragging, you touch the folder a text box will pop up and you can rename it to whatever you want. Be careful when you are dragging the jiggling icons because you'll notice that each jiggling icon has a '-' on the top left-hand corner and, if you touch that (rather than touch and hold) you'll be offered the opportunity to delete the icon (but you do get a prompt). If you're worried about accidentally deleting apps, you can turn that off in the Settings app.

In terms of navigating the App Store - yes, I agree entirely, it can be daunting. There are a number of third-party apps out there that can help - plus the 'new' App Store does have 'categories' and a 'Search' option with filters. One third party app that Forum members have recommended is 'App Shopper'.

Hope to hear from you soon with your thoughts about the iPad.

Have fun and enjoy your iPad

If you don’t already have it you can download a copy of the iPad manual for free.

Apple - Support - Manuals

It’s free too.

Tim
Scotland

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no possible way of navigating the entire apps store. It's just too big. In the end you just have to use search, and be a bit creative. There are third party sites you can go to for app recommendations and better search features than you will find on the App Store. My two favorite are:

iPad/iPhone App News and Reviews Comments :: App Advice and iPad Apps, iPhone Apps, Deals and Discovery at App Shopper - Popular Recent Changes for iOS

They both have apps you can download from the app store, as well as the web sites you can visit. The AppStart for iPad by AppAdvice is still free at the moment, and a great beginner's resource for that price.

You can not change the text under the app. It's the app name and set by the developer.

If you organize your apps into folders, you can change the folder names.

If you have not done so, I recommend you get the iPad User's Guide. You can download it on the computer as a PDF using the following link. You can also download iBooks from the App Store, then go to the iBooks Store (in the app), search for and download it there. Both are free.

iPad Users Guide PDF
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iPad_User_Guide.pdf

Welcome to the forum. Hope you have lots of fun with your new iPad.

Most reactions