What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lost App

bruce80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello,
As my wife and i are getting on in years, we have bought a iPad 2 and find this a little easier that a than a laptop or desk top to use.
So far we have quite successful in using the ipad downloading Apps and emails ect.
We have just one problem we just can't get to grips with.......
Shortly after purchasing the ipad we had to do a factory restore, and lost the all apps on the ipad, we were able to get them back from the store with the exception of one, this is a daily mail app " the royal wedding souvenir"
now when we go to the store to try download it the app it says underneath the icon that it is downloaded and is greyed out.
We have searched high and low on the ipad but can find any trace of it can any one help.
many thanks
bruce80

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried typing the name into the search feature? Swipe your home screen all the way to the right and the virtual keyboard will appear. Type in the name of the app and it should show up in a list of same or similar names of apps if it's on your iPad.

If not, connect your iPad to your computer have a look at the apps there. In iTunes click on your iPad in the left-hand menu, then click on the "Apps" tab. You can either scroll down the apps listed there or you can type in the name of the app in the search field in the upper right-hand corner. When you find it, see that the box next to it is ticked. If it's not it won't sync the app with your iPad. If it isn't, go ahead and tick it and then click on "Apply" at the bottom and the app will be added to your iPad.

Hope that helps and let us know how it goes!

OP
B

bruce80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Rich,
I have followed your instructions to the letter,
Your first instruction confirms that the App is on the ipad so,
i prooceded to your next instruction, The App is in the left hand column and allready has a
tick along side it but I cannot find any where to click apply, all there is "automatically sync new apps"
and that box is also ticked.

Thank you for your help
bruce80

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How many apps do you have on the iPad? You are "allowed" up to 11 screens worth of icons/apps (20 x 11 ... 220). If you have more than that, while the app may be on the iPad, it won't show because there is too many.

The solution to this is either (1) put some apps into folders, thus opening up more space, or (2) if you don't want folders, removing apps until you are under 220 and then that app will "appear."

That's the only thing I can't recommend - other than to do another search (maybe the icon has changed it's appearance and so you don't recognize it...?).

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
B

bruce80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Marilyn,
Thank you for your help, my problem is not to many app's i have but twenty over a screen and a half.
What I can't understand is, the app is at the itunes store where it clearly says it is downloaded and sure enough it is there on the ipad here at home
but just will not open.
Someone did suggest I could purchased again and then download it at that point it would say I have not been charged again,
That' as may be but it does not solve the problem as to why i can't open the present one and nor will it happen again with any other app i may down load
Thank you all for your help it is much appreciated
Jack Stoddart

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Marilyn,Thank you for your help, my problem is not to many app's i have but twenty over a screen and a half.
What I can't understand is, the app is at the itunes store where it clearly says it is downloaded and sure enough it is there on the ipad here at home
but just will not open.
Someone did suggest I could purchased again and then download it at that point it would say I have not been charged again,
That' as may be but it does not solve the problem as to why i can't open the present one and nor will it happen again with any other app i may down load
Thank you all for your help it is much appreciated
Jack Stoddart
Hi Jack. So you're saying that you can find the app on your iPad and it just doesn't work when you tap on it? There's one other possibility that I can think of and that's that the developer hasn't optimized the app for iOS 5. Some developers were slow to do this and are still updating their apps.

To find out once and for all if the app will work I would go ahead and uninstall and re-install. (Even if that's not exactly the case, I'd do this anyway since something's dodgy.) Here's how I would do it...

On your iPad first make sure the app, in fact all apps are closed. Double-press the Home button or four-finger swipe up on the screen to reveal the app tray at the bottom of the screen. Tap and hold any icon there until they all start to jiggle. A small red circle with a minus sign will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the red circle on each icon until they are all gone. Then tap on the upper part of the screen and the tray will disappear. (It's a good idea to do this periodically to free up a little system memory anyway.)

After you've closed all of your apps, find the app that's misbehaving. Again, tap and hold it until all of the apps and folders jiggle. A black circle with an "X" inside will appear in the upper left-hand corner of each icon. Tap the "X" on the offending app's icon, confirm that you want to delete it.

After you've deleted the app from your iPad, open iTunes on your computer (no need to connect the iPad). Click on "Apps" in the left-hand menu. There you will see all of the apps you have available. Scroll to the problem app (or type the name in the upper right-hand search box). Once you find it control-click or right-click on the icon. Click on "Delete" and confirm that you want to delete it.

After deleting the app from your computer, reconnect your iPad and click on "Sync" in the bottom right-hand area. Then disconnect your iPad from the computer. Now the app has been fully removed.

So now you've removed the app from your iPad and deleted it from your computer. You should now be able to download it to your iPad again in the App Store. There are a couple of ways to do this. One is to open the App Store on your iPad. Tap on "Purchases", locate the app in question and download it again. Or you can tap on "Featured", type the name of the app in the search box in the upper right-hand corner and when it comes up, tap "Install". You could also do basically the same thing on your computer and then re-sync your iPad so that it's installed from your computer, but I'd just go with the iPad's app store.

While you have the app's page open in the App Store on your iPad or iTunes on your computer, take a look at the ratings/comments and see if anyone else is experiencing trouble similar to yours. That may be a good indicator if it's something to do with the app or if it's just you. :)

Now if the app installs and it still doesn't work I would contact the developer to find out when they will be updating it to work with iOS 5 (or if there's another bug that they are aware of).

If that doesn't do it, I'm stumped. Perhaps others will chime in.

Hope that helps and please let us know how it goes!

Last edited:
OP
B

bruce80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Rich,
I shall study your post very carefully and get back to to you with hopefully a good result.
Thank you for your time and patience.
In the mean time i have the ipad forum on my laptop elsewhere, i would like to remove and just have the one connection
i have searched the site thoroughly to try and delete it , or cancel the membership but cannot find any thing
can you tell me how to do it.Thank you again
Jack Stoddart

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you Rich,
I shall study your post very carefully and get back to to you with hopefully a good result.
Thank you for your time and patience.
In the mean time i have the ipad forum on my laptop elsewhere, i would like to remove and just have the one connection
i have searched the site thoroughly to try and delete it , or cancel the membership but cannot find any thing
can you tell me how to do it.Thank you again
Jack Stoddart
It's my privilege to help! I'm not clear about what you mean about deleting something to do with the forum...can you give a few more details?

Cheers!

OP
B

bruce80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK young man, well you have to be younger me,
Everything went swimmingly untill the App reached thedesktop of the ipad, it sat there greyed out and then, it started load IE. the bar at the bottom filled across,
I thought we have cracked it but no twas not to be, on opening it all i got was, "Dailyl Mail royal wedding souvenir" this flashed on and then quickly faded out
So' it seems to load onto the ipad ok so i must assume hat the fault is in the apps.
I shall try contacting itunes and possibly the Daily Mail.
When my wife
and i got the ipad at the end of july we signed up for membership of the forum on a laptop we no longer use it now and that is why i wanted to delete
it.
Thanks foryour help
Jack Stoddart

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK young man, well you have to be younger me,
Everything went swimmingly untill the App reached thedesktop of the ipad, it sat there greyed out and then, it started load IE. the bar at the bottom filled across,
I thought we have cracked it but no twas not to be, on opening it all i got was, "Dailyl Mail royal wedding souvenir" this flashed on and then quickly faded out
So' it seems to load onto the ipad ok so i must assume hat the fault is in the apps.
I shall try contacting itunes and possibly the Daily Mail.
When my wife
and i got the ipad at the end of july we signed up for membership of the forum on a laptop we no longer use it now and that is why i wanted to delete
it.
Thanks foryour help
Jack Stoddart
I have to apologize for being a bit thick here with respect to "membership" of the forum". If you mean membership to this forum being on your old laptop, there's not much to do. If you have the password saved somewhere you could delete that I suppose. But you can access this forum (or really any forum) from any computer...there's no "assigned membership" as it were.

If you're talking about syncing your iPad with a new computer, this information should be what you need to transfer everything:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1296

Once that's done you should de-authorize your Apple iTunes account from the old computer.

Or have I gotten it totally wrong? :(

Anyway, hope that helps and if you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

BTW, you're only as old as you feel. Right? Right! ;)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you're talking about syncing your iPad with a new computer, this information should be what you need to transfer everything:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1296

Maybe I'm missing something. This link leads to a discussion of problems with the Music app? I didn't go back to the first post and read them all, so maybe the advice is buried in there?

Last edited by a moderator:

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something. This link leads to a discussion of problems with the Music app? I didn't go back to the first post and read them all, so maybe the advice is buried in there?
:eek: My bad...picked up the wrong link! The post (and yours) is all better now. :)

OP
B

bruce80

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Rich,
Ihave written to the UK Daily Mail re the faulty app. I am awaiting a reply.
I have tried to find an email address for itunes so that I could send a similar message, (it's likelooking for a needle in a haystack.)
I have tried the UK help line telephone number only to be told that it is now discontinued
Are you aware of any way that I can contact Itunes.
Thank you
Jack Stoddart

richsadams

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello Rich,
Ihave written to the UK Daily Mail re the faulty app. I am awaiting a reply.
I have tried to find an email address for itunes so that I could send a similar message, (it's likelooking for a needle in a haystack.)
I have tried the UK help line telephone number only to be told that it is now discontinued
Are you aware of any way that I can contact Itunes.
Thank you
Jack Stoddart
Hi Jack! Here's all of the Apple contact information I have:

Apple - Support - iPad - Contact Support

Apple - Support - Contact Support

Contacting Apple for support and service

You can also provide feedback about the iPad by using this form:

Apple iPad Feedback

Most reactions

Latest posts