What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

k7lvo

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For all you folks who tether, maybe I'm missing something, but do you really save enough money by tethering to make it worth while? And can you activate/deactivate tethering at will, or does it involve a contract?

(I realize I'm going to get different answers depending on location/carrier.)

Last edited:

normanj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It depends on where you live and your habits. Some areas (mostly urban and college towns) have lots of strong wifi locations, others don't.

Katrina2475

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:
3G iPad is for the smart people. The wifi only is for the people who are cheap and want to go the poor mans route.

Generalize much? Although if I had to do it again, I would opt for the 3G just for convenience. I do not consider myself to be stupid, cheap or poor. I have an Android phone that I can use as a mobile hotspot. I get 2gb of data for $20 and with my husband's company discount of 20%, it works out to be $16. I'm a stay at home mom and the only time my iPad leaves the house is doctors appointments. 3G was most definitely optional for me.

Sent from my 32 GB wifi Ipad 2

mackerelthecat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For all you folks who tether, maybe I'm missing something, but do you really save enough money by tethering to make it worth while? And can you activate/deactivate tethering at will, or does it involve a contract?

It really depends how much data you use/how often you will use it. I don't know about Verizon, but for AT&T, it costs an extra $20 a month for tethering on top of the larger data plan. You can add or remove tethering on a month by month basis, the same way you can add or remove 3G service on the 3G iPad. So, if you are planning to get the 2GB iPad 3G data plan, it saves you $5 a month to simply use your phone to tether. You also save the $130 off the bat from buying the WiFi only version, since tethering also provides the GPS information to the iPad.

So it really just depends on the person... If your phone doesn't tether/you don't have the larger data plan on your phone, the 3G iPad would be worth it. Otherwise, it saves quite a bit of money to tether. (Again this is all AT&T, I don't know how it works with Verizon or foreign carriers)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't regret getting 3G for a minute.
I spend a lot of time on customer sites, and my iPad is with me everywhere I go. Only a few of the offices I visit have wi-fi for external staff / visitors. I would be lost without my 3G.
Not to mention I would be literally lost sometimes without the full GPS, which of course comes hand in hand with the 3G chipset...

Reaction score

Verizon allows pro rate of their $20 a month hotspot feature. If you need it a day,call and add it,call back the next day cancel it, it costs less than $1 a day to use. The usage is prorated as well but again for limited usage it's worth it. If your phone is jail broken or rooted the options are even cheaper and checking email or whatever won't even show up on the radar. It's using it for heavy data that sets off the alarms.
Where I vacation ATT does not cover worth a flip, unless they have added cells since July 2010, so I'd have to hotspot onto my Verizon phone anyway.
Again buying my initial wifi only was an informed choice.Buying my wife a 3G initiallynwas an informed decision as well because she will be using 3G on a regular basis

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Last edited:

Stephen777

iPF Noob
Reaction score
3G is a little slow sometimes, but is SO worth it! It's alot better than paying $70 a month on Sprint.

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't regret getting 3G for a minute.
I spend a lot of time on customer sites, and my iPad is with me everywhere I go. Only a few of the offices I visit have wi-fi for external staff / visitors. I would be lost without my 3G.
Not to mention I would be literally lost sometimes without the full GPS, which of course comes hand in hand with the 3G chipset...

wow! it didnt take you long to reach supermoderator status. congrats!

Squirrel71

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a wifi only one and am glad I didn't go with the 3g. Most places I spend a lot of time in have wi-fi and for places that don't I can tether it to my iphone.

Fifi1992

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like it. I don't have wifi at work. I don't want to tie my phone up with tethering. Plus AT&T is cracking down on tethering. I don't pay extra for 3G. As with my recent discounts and new plan. I actually am saving money.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I get iPad 3 I will get 3G. But I didn't see the need when I bought iPad 1, but now I really want 3G!

gatecitycanes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tether through my Droid, and it's not a problem at all. When I go to work I just plug it into the wall and my work area becomes it's own little wifi hotspot.

Last night I went to a minor league baseball game and used tethering to keep up with a major league game on the Slingbox. Worked like a charm.

richrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I cant believe some of you are writing like there is a wrong and right answer to this question. Are some of you crackers!?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
richrocks said:
I cant believe some of you are writing like there is a wrong and right answer to this question. Are some of you crackers!?

Fully agree. If you don't need 3G than you don't have to buy it? If you want it then get it. It is a personal decision.

Most reactions

Latest posts