What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:
one of the reasons he's but the primary one. Just like you don't buy a car with 3 tires do you? Sure a car will run with 3 tires but not very well. 3G iPad is for the smart people. The wifi only is for the people who are cheap and want to go the poor mans route.

I've got to say, that's one of the silliest things I've read around here. Yes, if its Internet capabilities are the primary draw for you and you spend a lot of time away from home with it then by all means, buy the 3G version, but passing judgement on someone else's choice based upon your criteria is - well, I don't think I'll say what it is since I do try to keep the tone a little light. Stupid is about the kindest thing I can say about that attitude.

Personally, I work from home, don't travel much and don't feel a need to check my email when I'm away from home unless I'm traveling for business, in which case the company is picking any wifi charges since I need it for work. For ME, 3G didn't make any sense beyond the possibility of using the gps at some point, but even that is only minimally likely since we don't do much traveling and I hate to drive.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
0pawwap0 said:
What is the reason for the iPads? For better Internet experience and put the Internet closer to you as a user. 3G is a must have in an iPad. Imagine if you net Internet access and your on a vacation, there is no wifi access, but with 3G Internet is just one click away.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

The whole Internet thing is only ONE of the reasons for the iPad, not THE reason. If, and it's a big if, I have my iPad with me on vacation it will almost certainly be for reading, maybe with music mixed in. Maybe some solitaire. No email - I live on my email the rest of the year but, at least for me, vacation is for getting away from being constantly connected. The cell phone goes with but it's for emergencies only

Different strokes, I guess.

one of the reasons he's but the primary one. Just like you don't buy a car with 3 tires do you? Sure a car will run with 3 tires but not very well. 3G iPad is for the smart people. The wifi only is for the people who are cheap and want to go the poor mans route.

I am a smart people. And I specifically wanted the WiFi only version. It was less money and it does everything I want it to do. If I go somewhere without WiFi access, I can use a mobile hotspot.

And yes, I have bought cars without all 4 tires.

Studor13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The whole world is not the USA.

Where I live there is no 3G provider. So how smart would you be?

I once mentioned to a sales guy in the States about how a particular currency wasn't doing so well against the US$ and he didn't know that a currency other than the almighty $ existed.

And as someone else already mentioned for those of us who work from home the wifi only version is plenty adequate.

Reaction score
0pawwap0 said:
What is the reason for the iPads? For better Internet experience and put the Internet closer to you as a user. 3G is a must have in an iPad. Imagine if you net Internet access and your on a vacation, there is no wifi access, but with 3G Internet is just one click away.

The whole Internet thing is only ONE of the reasons for the iPad, not THE reason. If, and it's a big if, I have my iPad with me on vacation it will almost certainly be for reading, maybe with music mixed in. Maybe some solitaire. No email - I live on my email the rest of the year but, at least for me, vacation is for getting away from being constantly connected. The cell phone goes with but it's for emergencies only

Different strokes, I guess.

If I want a 3 tire vehicle I'll buy a 3 tire vehicle and pay cash for it. A Spider is an example.
When I got my wifi only it was not because I'm stupid, poor or cheap. It was an informed decision. I don't need 3g,I have a phone that supplies hotspot if needed and can buy a Bad Elf GPS unit should I choose.
Because someone does not agree does not always mean they are wrong. 3g fanboy. Now I've seen it all

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Last edited:

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If I want a 3 tire vehicle I'll buy a 3 tire vehicle and pay cash for it. A Spider is an example.
When I got my wifi only it was not because I'm stupid, poor or cheap. It was an informed decision. I don't need 3g,I have a phone that supplies hotspot if needed and can buy a Bad Elf GPS unit should I choose.
Because someone does not agree does not always mean they are wrong. 3g fanboy. Now I've seen it all

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

You are correct, sir. Some people think their way is the best way and if our way does not agree with their way, well, you are ever so stupid. I also made an informed decision and went with WiFi only.

As I said earlier, if I require 3G, I'll use a portable hotspot. I could not see paying a few hundred dollars for a feature I would likely not use because I have WiFi just about everywhere I need to be.

Reaction score
A Bad Elf is the same price as the difference between 3G and wifi if gps is the only reason you'd want a 3G model.

Support Our Troops!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from my iPad

Deggy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Saying that 'buying ipad wifi only is dumb' is a dumb statement itself.

Buying ipad wifi only is actually smart, you can buy a wifi only ipad AND a mifi device for LESS that the cost of an ipad 3g. And with a mifi device u can hook it up to multiple devices, proves to be more cost effective that an ipad 3g.

Do some research before making ridiculous statements next time OP.

I actually had the iPad 1 with a mifi, which I have retained for my laptop use, and while I have a tethering account on my iPhone I found it inconvenient that it wasn't always on. When the iPad 2 came out I decided to get the wifi only but soon realised that it was so nice to use I was taking it everywhere. Remembering to take the mifi was a pain and as I said the tethering isn't always on. I tried my luck and asked PC World if they would take it back, and to my surprise they let me have a credit, and then swapped it for the 3G.

I don't regret the change, it's so much more convenient, on top of that it's a fantastic sat nav which needs the 3G

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Bob Maxey said:
You are correct, sir. Some people think their way is the best way and if our way does not agree with their way, well, you are ever so stupid. I also made an informed decision and went with WiFi only.

As I said earlier, if I require 3G, I'll use a portable hotspot. I could not see paying a few hundred dollars for a feature I would likely not use because I have WiFi just about everywhere I need to be.

Same here, I've no need for the 3G version

People need to realise that not everyone needs the 3G model, hence the reason why apple has 3G and non 3G models

Besides, I don't believe in all in one devices, if it breaks, you lose to many functions compared to using separate devices

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can we all just simmer down a bit, please. I know that one statement caused a little hot remarks ~

But remember to keep it respectful and without name calling and labeling.

I really don't want to say this again. :)

richrocks

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Each to their own I guess.

For me, I travel for a living and I need 100% connectivity no matter where I am.

So, I will hook up to WIFI if available or failing that, the 3G gets switched on.

What's more, I can make use of iPhone hotspotting if I wish. I purposely have a different carrier supplying my iPad 3G service to that of my iPhone, just in case I am in a poor signal area for one service, so then the hotspot can be switched on, which is quite rare as it happens.

I have family who never take their iPads out of their homes, so WIFI is sufficient, but if you are on the road a lot, WIFI and 3G is a must for me.

Reaction score
For me the decision was simple.

I leave the UK at least once every two month and since it is too tedious to inform people of which my current # is, do I keep the same phone card, wherever I go and just swap the iPad's SIM accordingly.

Though I can also see many cases, where the Wifi only version would be enough. It really depends on what the iPad is used for.

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
easy...if my phone tethers my 3g connection to my wifi only ipad, im doing better thn 3g ipad because i pay less n save more $$$ ..if u have a phone with unlimited data, it makes it pointless to pay for ANOTHER data plan on 3g ipad. why not just use the phone to tether the exact same 3g connection? domt matter if my wifi only ipad is on a train, bus, etc...as lomg as i got my phone with me, i habe a connection ;-)

Ipad007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:

I've got to say, that's one of the silliest things I've read around here. Yes, if its Internet capabilities are the primary draw for you and you spend a lot of time away from home with it then by all means, buy the 3G version, but passing judgement on someone else's choice based upon your criteria is - well, I don't think I'll say what it is since I do try to keep the tone a little light. Stupid is about the kindest thing I can say about that attitude.

Personally, I work from home, don't travel much and don't feel a need to check my email when I'm away from home unless I'm traveling for business, in which case the company is picking any wifi charges since I need it for work. For ME, 3G didn't make any sense beyond the possibility of using the gps at some point, but even that is only minimally likely since we don't do much traveling and I hate to drive.

totally agree...plus if you have a phone with data plan, all you are doing is adding an unneccesary bill. plus all these people downing wifi version only ipad can kick themselves in the @$$ for being so narrow minded. there is a reason why more wifi models are sold thn 3g ones!

Most reactions

Latest posts