What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

Katrina2475

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
This I did not want to do.

Live and learn I guess. I honestly didn't expect to use the iPad so much. I almost got a 16 gig model but last minute decided to go 32 gig and I'm glad I did. At least I can keep episodes of Dora onboard to occupy the kids.

KayM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an iPad 1 and 2, both with 3G. I wanted maximum flexibility and can afford it. I signed up for unlimited data when it was still available from AT&T and have gotten my money's worth. I also wanted GPS.

I don't use wi-fi unless I know I can trust its security, so I don't use public wi-fi at all. I'm not willing to risk my financial, email and other info.

I bought my husband a wi-fi iPad 1 for $200 off when Verizon cleared its stock. I knew he'd use it only at home, to listen to or watch stuff while cooking in the kitchen. He never wanted an iPad, but I figured it was cheap and I could resell it if he didn't like it. But it turns out he likes using it the kitchen a lot, as I thought.

0pawwap0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
You guys are making me want 3G now, stop it, my hubby will kill me if I start nagging him again.

It is very convenient to have an ipad wifi+3G. Internet is within your reach. Anytime you want it. Any where you want it. Or how you used it. It is all you and the 3G capabilities of the best iPad wifi+ 3G

Sent from my iPad using iPF

jweakley

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the 3G version of iPad 1, and I don't regret getting this version. I seldom purchase 3G access, but it is available if I need it.

0pawwap0

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What is the reason for the iPads? For better Internet experience and put the Internet closer to you as a user. 3G is a must have in an iPad. Imagine if you net Internet access and your on a vacation, there is no wifi access, but with 3G Internet is just one click away.

Reaction score
I have both and wouldn't have it any other way. I just need to be able to access the internet on a dime and not worry about it.

True, and thats why i think getting a wifi only ipad is dumb. Its like buying a wifi only iphone or blackberry. Doesnt make any sense. Could you image if all of us blackberry and iphone users had to rely on wifi networks 100% of the time?

I just see the wifi only ipads really limited and kind of defeats the purpose of even bringing it out with you. Unless you dont and just use it at home then thats different. But I didnt pay almost $700 to use the ipad only in my house or coffee shop or someone elses house - you get the point. With 3G you can use it in your car parked in the middle of nowhere, you can use it in the park during summer time, you can use it in the woods when you go hiking!

I got the 3g Ipad because when my wifi only one broke all they had left was 3g. I have my phone if I need 3g and can use it as a hotspot and I am not taking my Ipad hiking. That is asking for trouble. My definition of hiking is no signal at all and I sure wont be checking my email on the middle of the mountain, I'll be watching for baby bears since momma bear will be near.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from my Incpad

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Both of my iPads (first and second gen) are AT&T 3G. I find it indispensable.

Up here, during heavy snowstorms, the power goes out for 2-5 days at a time. But, with a 115 Amp-hour deep-cycle marine battery portable power pack, 3G and a 3G tower across the canyon, I have all the internet, entertainment and communications (email, texting and phone calls) I need for days on end.

Also, I like to go to the lake or out on road trips to beautiful places and just relax, get inspired and pick up my iPad to write poetry or a short story, maybe do a little artwork. No 3G needed for that, but...AT&T gets signals in places my Sprint phone doesn't and there are times when I need to look up/find something, shoot an email or simply check in on my home via my web cams.

My suggestion is, if you can afford it, GET IT. At least you have the OPTION of using it instead of wishing you at least had it available to you. Especially since buying 3G is on an on-demand monthly basis, no contract and easy to do, reasonably affordable. Plus the GPS in the 3G units comes in handy, too. Get the "You Need A Map" app-it's a BIG download (2GB) but...it's maps of the U.S. that are on your iPad, not on the servers, which can be used when you have NO WiFi or 3G connection. The GPS works great with it. And it's free for the rest of this month! The maps themselves are pretty decent, though the street name markers can be a little confusing if you're looking at a dense area (the street names are read left-to-right, not in the direction of the street). Or any other similar maps-on-the-iPad app.

The 3G iPad is not only my toy it's perhaps one of the most useful tools I own.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
0pawwap0 said:
What is the reason for the iPads? For better Internet experience and put the Internet closer to you as a user. 3G is a must have in an iPad. Imagine if you net Internet access and your on a vacation, there is no wifi access, but with 3G Internet is just one click away.

The whole Internet thing is only ONE of the reasons for the iPad, not THE reason. If, and it's a big if, I have my iPad with me on vacation it will almost certainly be for reading, maybe with music mixed in. Maybe some solitaire. No email - I live on my email the rest of the year but, at least for me, vacation is for getting away from being constantly connected. The cell phone goes with but it's for emergencies only.

Different strokes, I guess.

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
0pawwap0 said:

The whole Internet thing is only ONE of the reasons for the iPad, not THE reason. If, and it's a big if, I have my iPad with me on vacation it will almost certainly be for reading, maybe with music mixed in. Maybe some solitaire. No email - I live on my email the rest of the year but, at least for me, vacation is for getting away from being constantly connected. The cell phone goes with but it's for emergencies only

Different strokes, I guess.

one of the reasons he's but the primary one. Just like you don't buy a car with 3 tires do you? Sure a car will run with 3 tires but not very well. 3G iPad is for the smart people. The wifi only is for the people who are cheap and want to go the poor mans route.

Last edited:

Loraco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I love it I take mine with me when I travel it's awesome!

jwt873

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Mobile internet access was my main concern... I like to stream internet radio when I'm in the car. I have a home security webcam that I like to view now and then when I'm out on the road.. I like to access the net whenever I feel like it.

I looked at the iPhone, but it was just too small. I considered a 3G capable netbook but eventually went with the iPad because it was much more compact and had a nicer display. The fact that 3G iPads have true GPS receivers built in was a bonus. I've since retired my Magellan GPS unit and use the iPad full time now.

I haven't regretted getting 3G.

As a matter of fact, I'm passing up on the iPod 2, because it doesn't have 4G.. I'm guessing that whenever it's released, the 3rd generation iPod will have 4G and if it does, I'll be upgrading then so I can enjoy even faster online speeds. (And no.. I don't plan on buying one of those 4G to wifi hot spot devices :) )

Most reactions

Latest posts