What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Paying for the 3G that is. Cause to me, having a wifi only ipad is kinda pointless and dumb. Ipad is something most people would want to bring with them everywhere, so with a wifi only you have to always rely on a wifi network to connect whereas 3G you always have a connection no matter where you are. Glad I got the 3G.

I want to hear from you 3G owners how you found it so far? Any of you regret it and find you dont use 3G much?

OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have both and wouldn't have it any other way. I just need to be able to access the internet on a dime and not worry about it.

True, and thats why i think getting a wifi only ipad is dumb. Its like buying a wifi only iphone or blackberry. Doesnt make any sense. Could you image if all of us blackberry and iphone users had to rely on wifi networks 100% of the time?

I just see the wifi only ipads really limited and kind of defeats the purpose of even bringing it out with you. Unless you dont and just use it at home then thats different. But I didnt pay almost $700 to use the ipad only in my house or coffee shop or someone elses house - you get the point. With 3G you can use it in your car parked in the middle of nowhere, you can use it in the park during summer time, you can use it in the woods when you go hiking!

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, you have a point but I have an iPhone for that and my wifi iPad for reading and listening to music when outside.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But I didnt pay almost $700 to use the ipad only in my house or coffee shop or someone elses house - you get the point. With 3G you can use it in your car parked in the middle of nowhere, you can use it in the park during summer time, you can use it in the woods when you go hiking!

Exactly! I got the the 64, wifi and 3G and never looked back. I know me and I would have regretted if I had gotten anything less.

youngun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Saying that 'buying ipad wifi only is dumb' is a dumb statement itself.

Buying ipad wifi only is actually smart, you can buy a wifi only ipad AND a mifi device for LESS that the cost of an ipad 3g. And with a mifi device u can hook it up to multiple devices, proves to be more cost effective that an ipad 3g.

Do some research before making ridiculous statements next time OP.

Last edited:
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
I know me and I would have regretted if I had gotten anything less.

Spoiled brat. Only excepting the best :p

Btw. I also went for the 3G version on iPad 1 & 2, as it is the easiest way to get Internet and when I am abroad, it is more convenient to get an iPad sim prepaid, then to change the phone's sim to a new number.

Last edited:
OP
T

Tapmyapple

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But I didnt pay almost $700 to use the ipad only in my house or coffee shop or someone elses house - you get the point. With 3G you can use it in your car parked in the middle of nowhere, you can use it in the park during summer time, you can use it in the woods when you go hiking!

Exactly! I got the the 64, wifi and 3G and never looked back. I know me and I would have regretted if I had gotten anything less.

The 64GB 3G one is a fortune, how did you afford it?

Catfiend

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tapmyapple said:
True, and thats why i think getting a wifi only ipad is dumb. Its like buying a wifi only iphone or blackberry. Doesnt make any sense. Could you image if all of us blackberry and iphone users had to rely on wifi networks 100% of the time?

I just see the wifi only ipads really limited and kind of defeats the purpose of even bringing it out with you. Unless you dont and just use it at home then thats different. But I didnt pay almost $700 to use the ipad only in my house or coffee shop or someone elses house - you get the point. With 3G you can use it in your car parked in the middle of nowhere, you can use it in the park during summer time, you can use it in the woods when you go hiking!

Huh? Ever hear of tethering? How about mifi? Besides, you seem to be assuming that the only purposes of the iPad are tied to it constantly being connected to the Internet. One of the primary purposes of mine is reading, no internet connection required except when loading up.

Personally I considered the 3G version for maybe 10 seconds - and that only for the GPS.

As far as using it out hiking, a lot of the places that I'd like to hike, or even ride my road bike, don't have good cell coverage so I'd be screwed anyway in addition to being out extra money.

If it's important to you the by all means get it but for me it would have been a major waste of cash.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
Tapmyapple said:

Over paid......

Lol only joking, I know it is an unpaid voluntary job.... If not... I want a job there too :D

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

$904 to be exact. With tax. Twice a year we get bonuses ~ And I knew in June of last year I was getting it and I wanted the iPad and then I found this place and never looked back.:)

danrivito

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mobility is a huge selling point of the iPad so having to carry a Mifi unit around or having to tether to a smart phone didn't make sense to me.

In the end it all depends on what you plan on using your tablet for.

Sent from my iPad2 using Forum Runner

RAC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have WiFi only, I didn't want to pay for a second 3G data service, in addition to my mobile phone.

Tethering to the mobile provides 3G access when I need it.

I possibly should have gone for the 3G model, but not purchased a SIM card, just to get built in GPS.

Most reactions

Latest posts