I want to hear from all you 3G ipad owners, has it been worth it?

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Tapmyapple, Apr 15, 2011.

1. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Hey SweetPoison :D

You are improving. I agree with you, behold, again.

2. richrocks

richrocks
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Each to their own I guess.

For me, I travel for a living and I need 100% connectivity no matter where I am.

So, I will hook up to WIFI if available or failing that, the 3G gets switched on.

What's more, I can make use of iPhone hotspotting if I wish. I purposely have a different carrier supplying my iPad 3G service to that of my iPhone, just in case I am in a poor signal area for one service, so then the hotspot can be switched on, which is quite rare as it happens.

I have family who never take their iPads out of their homes, so WIFI is sufficient, but if you are on the road a lot, WIFI and 3G is a must for me.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

3. DontUnderstandMyIpad

DontUnderstandMyIpad
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    For me the decision was simple.

I leave the UK at least once every two month and since it is too tedious to inform people of which my current # is, do I keep the same phone card, wherever I go and just swap the iPad's SIM accordingly.

Though I can also see many cases, where the Wifi only version would be enough. It really depends on what the iPad is used for.

4. Ipad007

Ipad007
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    easy...if my phone tethers my 3g connection to my wifi only ipad, im doing better thn 3g ipad because i pay less n save more $$$ ..if u have a phone with unlimited data, it makes it pointless to pay for ANOTHER data plan on 3g ipad. why not just use the phone to tether the exact same 3g connection? domt matter if my wifi only ipad is on a train, bus, etc...as lomg as i got my phone with me, i habe a connection ;-)

5. Ipad007

Ipad007
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    totally agree...plus if you have a phone with data plan, all you are doing is adding an unneccesary bill. plus all these people downing wifi version only ipad can kick themselves in the @$$ for being so narrow minded. there is a reason why more wifi models are sold thn 3g ones!

6. k7lvo

k7lvo
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    For all you folks who tether, maybe I'm missing something, but do you really save enough money by tethering to make it worth while? And can you activate/deactivate tethering at will, or does it involve a contract?

(I realize I'm going to get different answers depending on location/carrier.)

#76 k7lvo, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  7. normanj

normanj
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It depends on where you live and your habits. Some areas (mostly urban and college towns) have lots of strong wifi locations, others don't.

8. Katrina2475

Katrina2475
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Generalize much? Although if I had to do it again, I would opt for the 3G just for convenience. I do not consider myself to be stupid, cheap or poor. I have an Android phone that I can use as a mobile hotspot. I get 2gb of data for $20 and with my husband's company discount of 20%, it works out to be $16. I'm a stay at home mom and the only time my iPad leaves the house is doctors appointments. 3G was most definitely optional for me.

Sent from my 32 GB wifi Ipad 2

9. mackerelthecat

mackerelthecat
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    It really depends how much data you use/how often you will use it. I don't know about Verizon, but for AT&T, it costs an extra $20 a month for tethering on top of the larger data plan. You can add or remove tethering on a month by month basis, the same way you can add or remove 3G service on the 3G iPad. So, if you are planning to get the 2GB iPad 3G data plan, it saves you $5 a month to simply use your phone to tether. You also save the $130 off the bat from buying the WiFi only version, since tethering also provides the GPS information to the iPad.

So it really just depends on the person... If your phone doesn't tether/you don't have the larger data plan on your phone, the 3G iPad would be worth it. Otherwise, it saves quite a bit of money to tether. (Again this is all AT&T, I don't know how it works with Verizon or foreign carriers)

10. f4780y

f4780y
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't regret getting 3G for a minute.
    I spend a lot of time on customer sites, and my iPad is with me everywhere I go. Only a few of the offices I visit have wi-fi for external staff / visitors. I would be lost without my 3G.
    Not to mention I would be literally lost sometimes without the full GPS, which of course comes hand in hand with the 3G chipset...